House Price Crash Forum

Libya's Transitional Authorities Have Killed Col Muammar Gaddafi

HOLA441

I take your point and I agree there is a risk the country could tear itself apart, but the things it has going for it:

1) A non-dictatorial government with the organisation (or at least the international support to become organised) to sell oil wealth and redistribute it fairly throughout the country.

straight from my signature:

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

[Mahatma Gandhi]

And why do you expect the new leaders to redistribute the oil wealth fairly throughout the country?

Gaddafi actually did invest quite a lot in the country, Lybia was not a poor country even by western standards before the war started.

Also Lybia was one of the last few countries in the world (along with North Corea, Iran and a couple of others) that didn't have a bankster controlled debt-based currency!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

straight from my signature:

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

[Mahatma Gandhi]

Not sure I follow the relevance.. did you object more to the violence of the rioters overthrowing Gaddafi, or the violence in the suppression by Gaddafi of his own people?

And why do you expect the new leaders to redistribute the oil wealth fairly throughout the country?

Gaddafi actually did invest quite a lot in the country, Lybia was not a poor country even by western standards before the war started.

Also Lybia was one of the last few countries in the world (along with North Corea, Iran and a couple of others) that didn't have a bankster controlled debt-based currency!

If they follow the western model you dislike so much then yes, most of the money will be redistributed back to the people (£700bn planned in the UK for next year).

HOLA443

Not sure I follow the relevance.. did you object more to the violence of the rioters overthrowing Gaddafi, or the violence in the suppression by Gaddafi of his own people?

That quote is from Gandhi not from me. It simply means that a bloody revolt will simply end up in the dictator being replaced, but for the common people nothing will change. That's why I don't expect that things will change to the better for the common people in Lybia.

Is Iraq better off now than before with Saddam Hussein? I don't think so.

If they follow the western model you dislike so much then yes, most of the money will be redistributed back to the people (£700bn planned in the UK for next year).

What western model are you talking about? The bankster corpocracy? In what dreamworld are you living, because in the western model we are currently living in most money is being soaked up by the elite (via the corporations and the banks) and only a small trickle is coming back down, that's why we currently are in the mess we are in.

Even your 700bn (whatever that is) sounds rather like a trickle when you divide it by 60mln inhabitants and then take into account UK living costs... (not to mention that most of it goes straight back into the pockets of corporations)

---

Edited by awake_eagle

HOLA444

British media this morning reporting his death, and possible execution, as if it was a breach of the mans "human rights".

Get the impression they would be clammering for a public inquiry and full compensation for his surviving relatives if it was closer to home! Unbelievable!

HOLA445
HOLA446

British media this morning reporting his death, and possible execution, as if it was a breach of the mans "human rights".

Get the impression they would be clammering for a public inquiry and full compensation for his surviving relatives if it was closer to home! Unbelievable!

Yes, I can't see anything wrong with a mob of people beating up a prisoner who is then shot. We should have more of this sort of thing.

HOLA447

Who executed him then? It cannot have been any of those cuddly NTC freedom fighters we've been told so much about by the Brit media.

Of course not - those plucky freedom-loving chaps wouldn't hurt a fly.

Apparently there was a 'crossfire' where the Cols own supporters managed to shoot their leader at close range in the head but luckily, no-one else. It must be true because that's what the new government that we helped put in place are saying.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Funny how most on here (and the majority of the Left) are opposed to the death penalty yet find the execution of someone 'like a dog in the street' as a good thing.

Whether it's a good thing for us, sitting here all safe and cosy, is one thing.

Whether it's good for Libyans, who've had to endure not just a dreadful war but also the 42 year rule of an increasingly bonkers, narcissistic, ruthless, kleptocratic megalomaniac, is another.

Just about every informed talking head on the media has been saying that OK, in an ideal world, etc.... but on balance it's probably better for Libya's new start that he's dead and gone.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4411

Judging by some of the posts on here, you'd scarcely think there was any suppression by Gaddaffi of his people.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Of course not - those plucky freedom-loving chaps wouldn't hurt a fly.

Apparently there was a 'crossfire' where the Cols own supporters managed to shoot their leader at close range in the head but luckily, no-one else. It must be true because that's what the new government that we helped put in place are saying.

What is the saying about not judging anyone until you've walked a mile in his shoes?

All too easy IMO for people who've never had to lift so much as a blase little finger for their own freedom, to make sanctimonious comments.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Whether it's good for Libyans, who've had to endure not just a dreadful war but also the 42 year rule of an increasingly bonkers, narcissistic, ruthless, kleptocratic megalomaniac, is another.

Just about every informed talking head on the media has been saying that OK, in an ideal world, etc.... but on balance it's probably better for Libya's new start that he's dead and gone.

Slanderous. Libya had free health care, education, and a benefits systems which meant that Libyans were quite happy to stay there and not emigrate to our shores. Gaddafi increased the number of doctors seven-fold. Check on it before you repeat your mind-wash.

Let's see how long it will take for the new puppets to redistribute the wealth of the country to where it belongs, the shareholders of Western corporations.

HOLA4418

Just another democractic West hit job.

The pictures last night showed what this bastion of free thinking and liberty is capable of. Quite scary actually.

That said the States have been doing it for decades for the own self gain and neo imperialist concerns.

Exactly.

Who's next? I hear Chavez has a bit of Gold and Oil he'd like to offload to the NWO.

HOLA4419

Slanderous. Libya had free health care, education, and a benefits systems which meant that Libyans were quite happy to stay there and not emigrate to our shores. Gaddafi increased the number of doctors seven-fold. Check on it before you repeat your mind-wash.

Let's see how long it will take for the new puppets to redistribute the wealth of the country to where it belongs, the shareholders of Western corporations.

So what you're saying is that he was a good man?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What is the saying about not judging anyone until you've walked a mile in his shoes?

All too easy IMO for people who've never had to lift so much as a blase little finger for their own freedom, to make sanctimonious comments.

I look forward to a fantastic democracy with wealth for all, just like Iraq and Afghanistan following Western interventions.

HOLA4423

The problem with having principles is that you shouldn't be selective about who you apply them to.

If you're interested in starting a new country with a democratic process and the strong rule of law then what better way to begin than to apply these principles to the old government, which was so lacking in these areas.

In my opinion what happened was understandable, but not preferable.

HOLA4424

So what you're saying is that he was a good man?

In this crazy complex world we live in, it is sometimes possible for people to be nasty and do good things at the same time.... ;)

The way I see it, Gadaffi was a nutjob who brutally suppressed his political opposition. But he also provided the majority of his population with excellent education and healthcare etc. Not saying this makes up for being a tyrant, obviously. Now whether the Libyan people are going to be better off now that they're 'free'? Well, we'll just have to wait and see. Saddam had a similar thing going in Iraq. And as another poster asked, are the Iraqi people better off now? Genuine question, as I have no idea. It certainly hasn't been a bed of roses for them.

HOLA4425