House Price Crash Forum

Alcohol And The Great Housing Crash

SarahBell

HOLA441

Do people drink more when they're skint and can't pay the mortgage?

Or do they cut down on alcohol?

I've got a couple of friends who drink to excess.

One: her husband has walked out on as he'd had enough. She's massively in debt and won't stop spending and has been secret drinking.

Another: her husband is a proper lush too. She's very proud of having gone 7 days without a drink. She hides spending from him too.

I've got a family member who lives with a lush and has upped their social life to match his. They have no money and struggle. But drink always gets bought somehow.

OK so I have plenty of sober friends too - but are there a lot of problems being drowned in alcohol?

Do people drink more in a recession?

Edited by SarahBell

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Before we sold our first house earlier this year shedding our Northern Rock together mortgage I used to drink a lot more. Also being so close to France it is easy to stock up on day trips.

Since selling and renting I drink Much less.

Since deciding to leave the country next year I drink even less.

Might even be T-total after I have moved (but I doubt it)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Despair is one of the road which leads to alcolohism.

Despair, for instance, at putting all life's major decisions on hold, feeling pretty worthless at times, nothing to offer, not being able to afford a shoebox for over a decade, and working 10-12 hours per day, year after year after year. For nothing. No capital. To pay for someone else's mortgage and retirement. And Bankers Assets, and power. A debt slave. Followed by seeing your income sources collapse. F@cked on the way up, then F@cked on the way down.

I have historically drank a lot, but I would never admit to it. :blink:

That's the quote I was looking for.........From one of his best essays...............

A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks.

George Orwell

Edited by Milton

HOLA445

Are you trying to suggest a correlation between financial distress and alcohol abuse?

For what it's worth, I tend to drink more when things go well, and drink better stuff (Nebbiolo - Sfursat awaits for me tonight). When things go bad I've got no time to drink as I need to get back on track

HOLA446

Despair is one of the road which leads to alcolohism.

Despair, for instance, at putting all life's major decisions on hold, feeling pretty worthless at times, nothing to offer, not being able to afford a shoebox for over a decade, and working 10-12 hours per day, year after year after year. For nothing. No capital. To pay for someone else's mortgage and retirement. A debt slave.

I have historically drank a lot, but I would never admit to it. :blink:

When I see a drunk/down and out on the street, I have more sypmathy than I used to and realise how they havent got the tools or built in mechanisms to cope with modern day living. Its tough enough for the supposedly capable ones.

HOLA447

Are you trying to suggest a correlation between financial distress and alcohol abuse?

For what it's worth, I tend to drink more when things go well, and drink better stuff (Nebbiolo - Sfursat awaits for me tonight). When things go bad I've got no time to drink as I need to get back on track

Something I realise about my own past is that when I felt as if things had gone well, and felt as if I should show this fact and enjoy life I used to drink way too much

HOLA448
HOLA449

Probably.

Although people being unhappy and drinking just stops them from working out why they're unhappy.

If they didn't drink they'd realise they need to clear the cr*p out of their lives and move on.

Do renters drink more?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Funilly enough, I was thinking of having a period off the drink this weekend.

I dont drink through the week and have started drinking less but better quality ales (generally spending the same).

I have also discovered homebrew recently, I would expect there will be more like me.

HOLA4413

Funilly enough, I was thinking of having a period off the drink this weekend.

I dont drink through the week and have started drinking less but better quality ales (generally spending the same).

I have also discovered homebrew recently, I would expect there will be more like me.

Lots of apples about this year......elderberries and blackberries to make easy country wine. ;)

HOLA4414

I only drink socially, never when i'm home alone.

Tend to go for a 'few' (anything from one to a night's worth) after work at least once every other week, and then sometimes with friends at the weekend. When i'm out i tend to get very drunk, but i never feel like i 'need' a drink.

HOLA4415

Lots of apples about this year......elderberries and blackberries to make easy country wine. ;)

The elderberries are just about ready and I have an allotment full of em, got loads of demijohns too.

Doing a cider with my apples that is fermenting at the minute.

Rhubarb wine has been made & gone.

I have done a few beer kits but fancy a go of all grain, which is my next project.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The problem with drinking, apart from being very effective at destroying human health, is it makes you fat. I like real ale but stopped drinking because it 500 calories per pint! I now drink cider which is only 200. I probably drink five or six pints a week these days.

500 calories a pint? :o I never realised that, thanks.

I stopped drinking alone (usually at home) alone since July. I will only drink when I'm meeting up with other friends.

When I had a mortgage living in my s****y ex-LA flat I was drinking more - even though I was more skint back then. :(

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I have drank a handfull of times this year, i used to drink daily after work aswell as smoke and i have saved about 2.5k i reckon so far from quiting the fags and daily beer. I have gone into a bit of a ****** it mode recently after i received a 2grand insurance quote on a volvo.

Car is sold, sky is cancelled, i am pretty much living on less than a quid a day and have never been healthier or felt as fit since i was 18.

My shed is a lair of temptation however, my brother has been brewing his own booze in it for a few years now, at first it was pretty vile and i had to put on a brave face and pretend it was ok, now he is genuinly making good stuff i have to try and forget that i have an endless supply of cider and ales at the bottom of the garden.

Hopefully people start cutting back on there beer to save on cash, sadly though i think some people in pretty crappy situations will find themselves hitting the bottle hard.

HOLA4420

I'm drinking far less as I was getting fat. My drinking pattern has changed from out at the pub / bar to at home or down the working man's club (cheap).

In the club, people are swapping from Kronenburg / Stella to Fosters and some even to bitter because of the price difference.

HOLA4421

I am doing this but am also going to cheaper beer. Currently I like Marstons Pedigree, 4 for £4.12.

I love real ales, but the price of these bottled beauties I won't pay, my favourite was fuller's honey dew beer, unfortunately this year the price is £1.75 a bottle in Asda when it used to be on offer at 3 for £4. (And I've only been bought it this year on my birthday) :(

I'm normally a very heavy drinker. Been drinking almost everyday since been about 13/14, in the past 10 days I've only drunk three times.

Instead of spending £50 a week, I've dropped it to about £10. And all my demijohns and barrels are in production mode. I'm pissed off with the state. No more money than necceary for them from me!

HOLA4422

I've got a couple of friends who drink to excess.

One: her husband has walked out on as he'd had enough. She's massively in debt and won't stop spending and has been secret drinking.

Another: her husband is a proper lush too. She's very proud of having gone 7 days without a drink. She hides spending from him too.

I've got a family member who lives with a lush and has upped their social life to match his. They have no money and struggle. But drink always gets bought somehow.

OK so I have plenty of sober friends too - but are there a lot of problems being drowned in alcohol?

Do people drink more in a recession?

Escapism. I suspect there will be more and more of it.

HOLA4423

I used to drink often (most days) - though usually not to drunken excess. Early this year, I had a bad reaction to something (probably liver) and was told to shift my diet... alcohol (along with offal and seafood) was on the list of things to cut down.

I decided to shift my lifestyle and stop drinking rather than try to cut down. I expected to find it tough - and that I'd find myself wanting to go out for a drink - and have to restrain myself. What I actually discovered was that it was spectacularly easy... and I even preferred the company of friends when sober - making myself tea when the limes were being cut for others' Coronas, for example.

I'm not quite tee-total - I've had a drink on a couple of occasions since 'giving up' - but it is no-longer a part of my routine. I drink a lot of sparking mineral water, and a lot of mugs of tea these days - and am just as happy when my drink is non-alcoholic. I've massively reduced my alcohol consumption - to almost zero - though I did not consider the financial implications of doing so.

Edited by A.steve

HOLA4424

I am doing this but am also going to cheaper beer. Currently I like Marstons Pedigree, 4 for £4.12.

I love real ales, but the price of these bottled beauties I won't pay, my favourite was fuller's honey dew beer, unfortunately this year the price is £1.75 a bottle in Asda when it used to be on offer at 3 for £4. (And I've only been bought it this year on my birthday) :(

I knew from the media stories about 30 grand of wine being drunk at one meal that trading was all about money and excess.

HOLA4425