House Price Crash Forum

Is University Worth The Money?

HOLA441
Guest tbatst2000

The one benefit of having a degree that many people forget about is that it's generally a requirement for a work visa for pretty much anywhere outside of Europe.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just to make some sweeping generalisations:

More intelligent people tend to go to university than dumber people.

The more intelligent you are, the more career options you'll have, and generally the more earning potential you'll have.

Surely what's needed is a study of people who _could_ have gone to university, but didn't, rather than just looking at averages earnings of each?

I mean when i look back i'm not comparing a career in IT to carrying on working in Currys stacking shelves - i always figured if i didn't go to university then i would have tried to find something else to exercise my brain :/

HOLA444

The one benefit of having a degree that many people forget about is that it's generally a requirement for a work visa for pretty much anywhere outside of Europe.

No true. I got into Oz as a qualified tradesman on the "skills list". I couldn't believe how easy it was.

HOLA445

The more intelligent you are, the more career options you'll have, and generally the more earning potential you'll have.

Surely what's needed is a study of people who _could_ have gone to university, but didn't, rather than just looking at averages earnings of each?

I mean when i look back i'm not comparing a career in IT to carrying on working in Currys stacking shelves - i always figured if i didn't go to university then i would have tried to find something else to exercise my brain :/

Well I could have gone to Uni but didn't. I now earn more than any of my friends who did go. Including a doctor. The doctor is the only one likely to overtake me in wages as well.*

The trouble is, for future jobs, you will be effectively unable to apply without a degree. They're creating a closed market whereby you have to have a degree to apply, so its not a case of whether its financially viable or not, its just a case of being something you have to do if you want to enter a certain field. I can only see this getting worse as well.

*Obviously assuming we all stay in the same jobs.

HOLA446

No true. I got into Oz as a qualified tradesman on the "skills list". I couldn't believe how easy it was.

I'm currently in Australia and have in the past been offered a role in Abu Dhabi so it's certainly not true, having one does make it alot easier though. I quite fancy a few years in the USA after my 4 year Visa is up, easiest way I can see is to move to an American company while here and then make the move.

HOLA447

at current rates of inflation due to the way the interest on the loans are worked out, the student loan will never be paid off because the interest on the loan will exceed the amount that is required to be repaid.

i.e even after the yearly repayment, the size of the loan will get bigger every year, indefinitely.

HOLA448

Figures released reveal that for 2012, a student paying £9000 "tuition fees" is paying 6k to the University and 3k of the fee is going to support grants to students from less well off homes.

For the next 30 years this student will pay an extra 9% tax, over and above that paid by his state supported peers. This is totally unrelated to the future graduates' respective incomes. This tax has been calculated based solely on the income of his parents when he was 17, and will remain in force until he is over 50.

I cannot conceive of a more arbitrary and unfair basis of taxation. OK, we could have a ginger hair tax or taxation by centimetres of height, but in the real world this "solution" to student finance is just about the worst imaginable, It would have been better to privatise the lot and let the market sort it out. I will ensure my kids study in Europe where high quality university education is reasonably priced and equitably provided.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I know some lazy twonks with Degrees that have done nothing with their lives.

I know some engineers with HNDs who are much better than people with degrees.

I know some people with no qualifications that are millionaires.

Every PhD Dr. that ive met has been beyond useless in the work environment but seem to get very good jobs.

It all depends on the individual, luck, family support, timing etc. Starting with -50K in the bank though can't help the average joe.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Classic cargo cult science.

When a small number of clever people went to Uni, it made them richer.

Therefore, if everyone goes to uni we'll all be rich.

Ejoocashun has become a religious ceremony designed to appease the Gods of economic and social decay

They don't need punishment, they just need ejoocashun. This mostly affects the left, with the right prefering the word 'skillz'.

It isn't just education though, this is basically how politicians think about everything. There are loads of examples, but the most obvious being house prices.

When the economy booms, house prices increase. Therefore increasing house prices creates economic prosperity.

Edited by (Blizzard)

HOLA4417

The one benefit of having a SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING and/or MATHS degree that many people forget about is that it's generally a requirement for a work visa for pretty much anywhere outside of Europe.

Fixed!

STEM Degrees are useful, other degrees are useless!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

HOLA4418

Or even better than that just do what one of my neighbours has done all of her career and lie about your qualifications - she left school with a couple of CSEs and is in a "graduate only" job paying £70K a year. When she has changed employer in the past only two of them have ever asked for proof of her qualifications. In both cases she spun them a sob story about a messy break-up of a bad marriage and having to leave all her paperwork behind and being too frightened of her ex to approach him to get it back (all untrue). In both cases the employer didn't persue the matter further.

I'm not condoning this behaviour but she's only following the moral lead of all our glorious politicians......and it shows what a croc of **** the requirement for a degree is for many jobs.

[edit spelling]

Edited by hellsbells

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

No it isn't. Look at the girl on the left's, left hand. Hidden message?

Nope, that's the bill she's just had for all the private tutoring....

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Even if not "more intelligent", one might consider "more self-confident" or "more ambitious". So you're right that the figures are deeply flawed. On the other hand, short of randomising a group to "uni" and "non-uni" it's hard to see how you can adjust for the self-selection bias.

HOLA4425

Figures released reveal that for 2012, a student paying £9000 "tuition fees" is paying 6k to the University and 3k of the fee is going to support grants to students from less well off homes.

For the next 30 years this student will pay an extra 9% tax, over and above that paid by his state supported peers. This is totally unrelated to the future graduates' respective incomes. This tax has been calculated based solely on the income of his parents when he was 17, and will remain in force until he is over 50.

I cannot conceive of a more arbitrary and unfair basis of taxation. OK, we could have a ginger hair tax or taxation by centimetres of height, but in the real world this "solution" to student finance is just about the worst imaginable, It would have been better to privatise the lot and let the market sort it out. I will ensure my kids study in Europe where high quality university education is reasonably priced and equitably provided.

An insightful point: future taxation based on parental income 30 years ago.

Very odd when you think about it.