House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

What about in M3? (i.e actual expansion of the money supply);

That's only one element of it... I've no idea how you would calculate it unless shadowstats have created something... I suppose the point is - even using their own bogus methodology it's still 25% undervalued from it's all time high in real terms... 

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 minutes ago, reddog said:

Just took my eye off the gold price for a few hours!!  

It actually look like it was stuck in a range around $1975 for a few days, anyone any idea as to what caused lift off?

Trump's miracle economy is getting worse not better.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, reddog said:

anyone any idea as to what caused lift off?

No... can't find any good explanation for it yet... apart from my last screenshot and the fact the dollar's down a bit... but nothing to justify this move. Even the VIX is down... everything else fairly normal apart from PMs. Platinum' had a good day too. Even factory orders were up on expectations... expected 4.6% actual 6.2%

image.png.1b784fb7ca8968e696b8779ab2c76acd.png

Edited by warpig

HOLA4418

Gold breaks a new milestone at $2000.

New thousand dollar milestones will start dropping like dominos.

GDX makes a new high for the year.

Crashing dollar will leave many broke millionaires.

Fed codifying commitment to reckless money printing and endless inflation.

16 year olds lip-syncing is not a national security threat.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
10 hours ago, warpig said:

No... can't find any good explanation for it yet... apart from my last screenshot and the fact the dollar's down a bit... but nothing to justify this move. Even the VIX is down... everything else fairly normal apart from PMs. Platinum' had a good day too. Even factory orders were up on expectations... expected 4.6% actual 6.2%

image.png.1b784fb7ca8968e696b8779ab2c76acd.png

I don’t think this is a appetite for gold but rather an appetite for anything other than currency, stocks etc. Amateurs and professionals now looking at gold.

We are a third of the way through a pandemic (well certainly the economic consequences) and governments are throwing money all over the place.

I think the reason for the hike is the bears are now the realists and everyone is starting to feel jittery. I am feeling it with my own savings and I am pretty sure if I was managing a massive pension fund I would be looking for hedge investments including gold.  
In Gold we Trust....?

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, Pop321 said:

I don’t think this is a appetite for gold but rather an appetite for anything other than currency, stocks etc. Amateurs and professionals now looking at gold.

We are a third of the way through a pandemic (well certainly the economic consequences) and governments are throwing money all over the place.

I think the reason for the hike is the bears are now the realists and everyone is starting to feel jittery. I am feeling it with my own savings and I am pretty sure if I was managing a massive pension fund I would be looking for hedge investments including gold.  
In Gold we Trust....?

I generally agree with you, but I'd refine it further. I'd say this is money fleeing the bond market and negative real rates... there's obviously a fear factor as well. The stock market is also benefiting from bond market capital inflows. To boil it down further... I think it's really just a move from public to private assets.

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, warpig said:

I generally agree with you, but I'd refine it further. I'd say this is money fleeing the bond market and negative real rates... there's obviously a fear factor as well. The stock market is also benefiting from bond market capital inflows. To boil it down further... I think it's really just a move from public to private assets.

Understood and thx.

The level of expertise, debate and consideration of wider factors on this huge thread is much deeper than my knowledge re gold and I would bow to it  

Mine is just a surface 2D viewpoint and its definitely feeling jittery. 

HOLA4423
26 minutes ago, warpig said:

$2,035 and still going... I think we promised we'd wake G0ldfinger up when gold spikes $100 in a day. We're getting close...

Anyone have an idea as to how many ounces of physical would have to be traded to move the 'market' by $100...... .....or just a rough idea??

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, cnick said:

Anyone have an idea as to how many ounces of physical would have to be traded to move the 'market' by $100...... .....or just a rough idea??

Wouldn't it depend on the direction also? Large volumes both sell and buy side would churn rather than move in either direction.

HOLA4425
19 minutes ago, warpig said:

The outsize move in silver says more I think.