House Price Crash Forum

Nationwide Figures 27/8/9

HOLA441
Guest The Relaxation Suite
yep, +3.3%% QoQ, which would equal +13.9% a year. How can anyone think this is a good and sustainable thing, especially after what happened last time they were rising like this; it's not like it was 20 years/a generation ago so we think things have changed and it's all ok this time. At least the nationwide report makes it clear that as soon as forced sellers become a part of the equation or interest rates rise then we're going to lose all these gains we're seeing now.

Don't get too upset about it. Remember the statistics are being manipulated to maintain public order. The economic fundamentals, for those who can be bothered to look them, show us that housing in the UK is still around 40% over-valued and this will be corrected at some point because the markets always corrects itself. Like I have said before, bears survive by being patient.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
up 1.6 haha its seems quite hard to swallow but to be honest like the rest of you i dont care anymore.

i for one point blank refuse to ever buy at these prices

+1

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

I'm going to learn how to fish instead

Edited by daiking

HOLA443
HOLA444
Don't get too upset about it. Remember the statistics are being manipulated to maintain public order. The economic fundamentals, for those who can be bothered to look them, show us that housing in the UK is still around 40% over-valued and this will be corrected at some point because the markets always corrects itself. Like I have said before, bears survive by being patient.

I agree, I'm just baffled that this will be greeted as good news.

HOLA445
Guest The Relaxation Suite
I agree, I'm just baffled that this will be greeted as good news.

In a society where the ultimate status symbol is your own home, and where a large percentage of the population already "own" their homes (pay rent to Nationwide rather than Mr Aziz), the editorial line taken is bound to be rising prices = good. The young people and others waiting to buy are simply forgotten about.

Also, we have lived through a long period where any amount of money can be borrowed from a bank, so endlessly rising house prices presented no real problem, so were always a good thing. Now that money is harder to borrow a new meme will gradually work its way round society - that high house prices are not always good, and can mean misery for a lot of people.

Edited by D-503

HOLA446

I still think this is temporary and they won't be able to keep the QE plates spinning forever, but it's time to acknowledge;

NuLabour is the party of high house prices, they are completely reliant on prices not falling further and will do absolutely anything to stop this.

They have destroyed the finances of the country with the sole intention of bailing out banks so wreckless they bankrupted themselves and the country, borrowers so wreckless they can only survive on 0% interest rates.

NuLabour are the party of scum like those on Beeny the other night, buying "20 odd" BTLs so they don't have to work. They are the party of The Wilsons. They do not care for those generations that follow, or those who are not on NuLabours HMS Property.

It's time for an election, and for the nation to make a choice.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I still think this is temporary and they won't be able to keep the QE plates spinning forever, but it's time to acknowledge;

NuLabour is the party of high house prices, they are completely reliant on prices not falling further and will do absolutely anything to stop this.

They have destroyed the finances of the country with the sole intention of bailing out banks so wreckless they bankrupted themselves and the country, borrowers so wreckless they can only survive on 0% interest rates.

NuLabour are the party of scum like those on Beeny the other night, buying "20 odd" BTLs so they don't have to work. They are the party of The Wilsons. They do not care for those generations that follow, or those who are not on NuLabours HMS Property.

It's time for an election, and for the nation to make a choice.

All true... and depressing.

HOLA449
I believe that this is a misconception - there would be a small second order effect but they adjust for the mix of houses sold. Your conjecture would be true if their index was just the mean average house price sold in the month, regardless of size, but I believe it is not.

I haven't researched Nationwide but I did look it up for Halifax (http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media1/research/halifax_hpi.asp):

Mix-adjusted for what characteristics though? Flat vs flat? Terraced vs terraced etc? If there's no forced sellers and people are bringing cash in then I'd expect the better of these properties to be sold, not the worst.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I feel sad for young people.

+1

Though we all moan on here about the whole mess. Can you imagine what it is like for this years school leavers? No job, no uni place and if you do manage to get a job then the chance that you will ever have enough money to buy, or even rent a half decent home on your own wage is pretty much zero. Gordon must be so proud.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Do the Nationwide say how big their sample size is now? My guess is that it's now too small to be statistically significant. My prediction for falls for all three months of the last quarter still stands.

It is quite big, based as it is on all the properties it has been selling to itself.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

+1

HOLA4419

if the figures are true, it must be unsustainable. its's just basic maths....people cannot continue to borrow so much when things are on the precipice of being so bad

if they are sample wobble, or massaged, then when this all goes wrong, it's going to be catastrophic.....for everyone

one thing i do know, is that the longer it goes on, the more scared i'm getting

HOLA4420
They printed my comment (first one) surprisingly - i'm sure it will be removed when a sub-editor realises it's not 'on message'

Low interest rates have helped to make properties more affortable for first time buyers while the Government's £50 billion injection of cash into the economy through the quantitative easing programme was also fuelling the housing market's mini-boom, the building society said.

so borowing more is more affordable, and QE is clearly entering the pockets of FTBs.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
if the figures are true, it must be unsustainable. its's just basic maths....people cannot continue to borrow so much when things are on the precipice of being so bad

if they are sample wobble, or massaged, then when this all goes wrong, it's going to be catastrophic.....for everyone

one thing i do know, is that the longer it goes on, the more scared i'm getting

Agree - but they kept the party going for 8 years post the dotcom crash.

It might take that long again.

Not only that, but the other option is social change. We may become a nation (or a world) of rentiers.

Your're supposed to think that's a good thing by the way

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

HAHAH not my pockets im sure of that.

Its kind of funny we watch the HPC for 18 months or more and when things get closer to being able to afford and have your own home the Gov move the goal posts as noraml.

I am now under the imprression that i will go and rent with some friends and we can all save a fortune in the process.

im currently at home with parents but this is driving me mad so renting i think in April is my choice.

Also give me 7-8 months to watch the market and see what happens.

It is very bad news that this Gov do not care about the young (29) or FTB all they care about is winning the GE.

The only thing i find Sad is the greed of the public as no matter what they want prices to rise.

HOLA4425