HOLA441
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The government and the BBC have consistently used CPI as their main inflation measure whilst RPI was running at double the CPI. RPI barely rated a mention.

See the BBC headlines from 2007, when RPI was running at 4-5% but CPI was around target:

UK inflation rate lower at 2.7%

UK inflation rate rises to 2.8%

UK inflation holds steady at 2.1%

UK inflation rate eases to 1.8%

UK inflation rate stays at 1.8%

They never mentioned RPI in their headlines until now. They even explained why:

"The government cited three reasons why CPI was a better measure for the purposes of setting monetary policy:

* it gives a more realistic characterisation of consumer behaviour

* it gives a better picture of spending patterns in the UK

* it is a more comparable measure of inflation internationally and represents international best practice."

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
A few months ago ( about 5 ) I bought a pair of powered monitors and a condenser microphone, and I`ve just noticed on the web that they now cost about 60% more. Deflation my @rse.

Unless of course deflation means price rises.

Yes, the E-bay Monitor/Mike Index is the only true measure of inflation.

You are Tommy Saxondale and I claim my £200.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Relentless has just gone up from £1.09 to £1.24 in my local Onestop thats over 12%.. On the plus side Glucose boosts are on special offer @ £0.35 from £0.59...

Interesting thread this <_<

HOLA448
HOLA449
I suppose this is supposed to serve as a pathetic excuse for some more money printing in tomorrow's budget. :angry:

Yes, indeed. The government are really starting to step up a few notches now. In one year from now I expect the breakdown of the UK completely. Many people are going to die over this. Wait and see.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest LongBlackKilt
lucky bugger!

never thought I'd envy anyone for getting 4% on a bond!

Imported fae the 'Vince Cable' thread:

The inflation dilemma. Cable put up a table with Institute for Fiscal Studies figures showing that prices are going down for the wealthiest 20%, but going up (by up to 5%) for almost everyone else. This presents an unusual problem for policymakers, Cable said, because they have to decide whether they are fighting inflation or deflation.

Mash-ups Rool [& Ah'm beginnin tae think the same aboot class struggle].

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Daddy Bear
Are we in a deflationairy spiral?

Come on guys this is embarassing.

The statistics can say whatever the government want the people to believe - and the majority will.

THEY ARE LYING TO YOU !!

Most on here did not fall for the "everlasting house price boom mantra" & "no more boom & bust" - don't fall for this.

Take out the effect of the falling mortgage repayments and the VAT reduction and you get a "Real Inflation" figure that is is still running at around 3% according to official figures.

But this is a loadabollox too.

"Really real inflation" - what is affecting the man in the street is running way above this.

Global currencies will be thrashed - these figures are allowing them to do that.

The world (ECB, FED, BOJ, BOE et al.) will print and print and print.

A tipping point will come and the people will lose confidence in global currencies - asset prices will go ballistic as people seek refuge for their money in oil commodities etc.

IR's are going to go sky high.

Anyone buying a house would be mad to borrow at anything less then a 10 year fix.

The majority on here have no idea what is coming - wake up.

Have a look here at why the bond market will collapse soon - why ...and what th effects will be.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1816837

Edited by Daddy Bear

HOLA4418
Come on guys this is embarassing.

The statistics can say whatever the government want the people to believe - and the majority will.

THEY ARE LYING TO YOU !!

Most on here did not fall for the "everlasting house price boom mantra" & "no more boom & bust" - don't fall for this.

Take out the effect of the falling mortgage repayments and the VAT reduction and you get a "Real Inflation" figure that is is still running at around 3% according to official figures.

But this is a loadabollox too.

"Really real inflation" - what is affecting the man in the street is running way above this.

Global currencies will be thrashed - these figures are allowing them to do that.

Good post. The deflationary stuff seems to be a red herring. Goe to the shops fod prices are getting much higher. The pound is devalued so imports more expensive. Inflation returning soon. Do you think its a good time to buy some gold???:

A tipping point will come and the people will lose confidence in global currencies - asset prices will go ballistic as people seek refuge for their money in oil commodities etc.

Anyone buying a house would be mad to borrow at anything less then a 10 year fix.

The majority on here have no idea what is coming - wake up.

Have a look here at why the bond market will collapse soon - why ...and what th effects will be.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1816837

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Bin sayin in for a long time now.

2 words: Holsten Pils

A few months ago ( about 5 ) I bought a pair of powered monitors and a condenser microphone, and I`ve just noticed on the web that they now cost about 60% more. Deflation my @rse.

Unless of course deflation means price rises.

i see only rising prices, deflation stats are a fiddle - the vat cut and int rates drop - a fiddle fiddle fiddle and then fiddle some more

-0.4% is nothing.

something that was on sale for a tenner goes for £9.96 - so what.

replace 15% VAT with 17.5% in £9.96 and you'd have £10.17, i.e. 1.7% inflation...

exactly

I suppose this is supposed to serve as a pathetic excuse for some more money printing in tomorrow's budget. :angry:

this is what i think

HOLA4421

Isn't the key thing whether the amount they print outweighs the impact of contracting credit and the dynamics of this process (I understand so far it doesnt and its a drop in the ocean by comparison, and most of it is just propping up bad assets/hiding risk for zombified banks, but I could well be wrong), and where the money they are printing is going? When they print money it affects the guy on the street much less than credit. Banks are playing us all like a fiddle, but I can't see how the population in general will experience anything other than relative deflation, alongside a drop in standard of living.

As for people commenting on fuel, surely the government just added more tax recently and the oil price has risen a little, and as for prices in general, trying to distinguish price increases or drops given the recent devaluation of sterling is surely a pointless exercise?

I agree heavy inflation is inevitable one day, but don't think it can be coming yet. When credit starts to expand again which requires a sustained return of confidence, at the end of that cycle, thats when we'll use fivers to keep warm. How can you have a credit bubble alongside a contracting economy? Surely you can't, can you?

I read somewhere in this thread student loans are subsidised? Isn't the SLC a private company and if so which bank funds it, they must be raking it in from a captive loan audience + the taxpayer subsidising all the risk?!?! If thats true, which moron of a minister thought that would be a good move?

HOLA4422

bye bye house prices

bye bye consumer collateral

bye bye consumer credit

bye bye consumer spending power

bye bye discretionary spending

bye bye demand

hello oversupply

hello lower prices

Now there are two steps in the above that are very important and that is no business or supplier will cut the supply of their goods and/or services until they witness falling demand. Why would you?

It is very difficult to create false demand to break the trend. People will save and pay down debt until they "feel" secure enough to consume in earnest.

My own opinion is that by trying to borrow and spend your way out of deflation simply pushes that "secure day" ever further away.

It is impossible, under any circumstances, to purchase sentiment.

During the early years of deflation in the Japan the government sent out food coupons in the hope of increasing demand and breaking the spiral. Of course most consumers chose to save their coupons just in case they lost their jobs.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
bye bye house prices

bye bye consumer collateral

bye bye consumer credit

bye bye consumer spending power

bye bye discretionary spending

bye bye demand

hello oversupply

hello lower prices

Now there are two steps in the above that are very important and that is no business or supplier will cut the supply of their goods and/or services until they witness falling demand. Why would you?

It is very difficult to create false demand to break the trend. People will save and pay down debt until they "feel" secure enough to consume in earnest.

My own opinion is that by trying to borrow and spend your way out of deflation simply pushes that "secure day" ever further away.

It is impossible, under any circumstances, to purchase sentiment.

During the early years of deflation in the Japan the government sent out food coupons in the hope of increasing demand and breaking the spiral. Of course most consumers chose to save their coupons just in case they lost their jobs.

So true, save and repay learn to live another free day.