House Price Crash Forum

Requiem For A Dream (spanish Ghost Town)

HOLA441
Hi guys. Here is a video of a ghost town in Spain, Soto del Henares. It's unbelievable how many properties have been built in Spain in the last few years, there is a huge oversupply.

Some "ghost towns" like this one are starting to appear all over the country...

Soto del Henares - Ghost Town

amazing first post.

loved the music. quite alarming when played over such a backdrop of urban and global financial despair.

and now the weather...

interio - scortchio.

las exterior - scortchio.

las costas - scortchio.

Edited by the-sign-jacker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
i'm seeing potential as a giant set for apocalyptic movie genre

"Dawn of the debt"

George Romeros latest zombie flick, hordes of disillusioned indebted consumers chase bankers/politicians into an abandoned building site, do they string them up from lamp-posts or can the bankers/politicians transfer their wealth to a foreign country and escape in helicopters.

HOLA444
800,000 houses per year built during the boom years in Spain, UK could barely manage 200,000. Spain is 2/3 the population of the UK too.

Epic fail, they will be bulldozed without a doubt.

Shame to bulldoze them, the U.K.s OAPs could be shipped out there for the winters to stop them freezing to death.

Save on their fuel bills too. It would be like Dunkirk everytime the clocks went back. lol.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

After a quick google -

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Residential Soto del Henares, is a major urban action, consisting of 431 dwellings, including single-family: paired townhouses and 3 and 4 bedroom houses and height of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms with garage and storage.

Looks like major anti urban action to me :lol:

Edit: Found another link, seems they will do anything to get some interest, look what's in preparation under planning and management

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Edited by the anti krust

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Is Spain ahead or behind us time-wise in this crash?

I think UK and Spain are about the same time-wise. Peak of the bubble was the end of 2006. But there's a difference, prices in the UK are dropping faster, which will also mean that the bottom will be reached quicker and the economy could start recovering sooner.

Sellers in Spain think "I won't sell the house at a reduced price, I'll wait until the crisis is over". They don't realise that the more they wait, the more money they'll lose.

Another difference is the media. Here in the UK the media accepts house prices will go lower, I've even seen estimations of a 50% drop from peak. In Spain, most newspapers can't accept reality yet. Maybe a reason is that one of their main sources of income is real estate advertising..

In numbers, bubble is much bigger, Spain built more homes in the last years than Germany, France and the UK together (which combined have 5 times their population). Check this link: (Alemania=Germany, Francia=France, Reino Unido = UK, Espana=Spain, Polonia=Poland) Number of houses built per country

You can click on the different years to see the number of houses built that year.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
i'm seeing potential as a giant set for apocalyptic movie genre

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I had no idea these ghost towns were so vast - I really am shocked. One tower block after another of slave boxes for 'canny investors', most of whom probably bought the flat without ever having visited the area.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Shame to bulldoze them, the U.K.s OAPs could be shipped out there for the winters to stop them freezing to death.

Save on their fuel bills too. It would be like Dunkirk everytime the clocks went back. lol.

That 'town' is near Madrid. Its barely warmer than the UK in the winter and they have some VERY cold nights. Madrid airport closed due to snow 2 weeks ago (Average temp in Madrid in Dec and Jan is 5C). Better off on the Isle of Wight or the Channel Islands in the winter.

In July and Aug, its 38C plus, unbearable, which is why Spaniards with a few quid go to the coast in the summer, those that can still afford it of course!

Edited by deflation

HOLA4417
Or tail-end it with that Spanish bloke going:

"Polaris World, there's never been a better time to buy"

i had a polAris brochure, they kept calling me, i said, no, i just brought a slum in florida for 8k

seemedf convinced

listen to the freight trains go by ay at 3am woot woot

awesome

HOLA4418

I googled the "ghost town" from the first posting ...and found this, but what are they saying?

1] Look, a ghost town, must do something about this.

2] Squtatters, kids and rioters everywhere

3] A big storm came and wrecked it

Having never heard Spanish before I guessed it might be one of those three from the footage

SOTO DEL HENARES

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qRCHoU5zx4U

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Yeah, epic is a good word. For some reason it reminds me of full metal jacket.

Scary......

I can't disassociate it from Requiem for a dream, a film that makes me feel physically sick (worth watching tho)

If anybody wants to know the music it's Lux Aeterna by clint mansell (fomer Pop Will Eat Itself dude)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Hi guys. Here is a video of a ghost town in Spain, Soto del Henares. It's unbelievable how many properties have been built in Spain in the last few years, there is a huge oversupply.

Some "ghost towns" like this one are starting to appear all over the country...

Soto del Henares - Ghost Town

Pucha che...

The Spanish had an even bigger capacity for self-delusion than we had on the run up to the crash. I lived in Barcelona from 2004-2007, and the locals were desperate to buy flats at whatever cost, thousands of "savings account" flats were built that nobody has ever lived in, and probably never will. Meanwhile immigrants were forced to live 10 to a 40m2 flat.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425