House Price Crash Forum

Gay Couple Wins £5,000 Damages After Estate Agent Prints 'lesbians' On Advert For Their House

HOLA441
When Suzanne Richards and Sarah Dobinson decided to sell their £650,000 home, they expected professional service from their estate agents.

Instead, they were left feeling ‘insulted and violated’ after a staff member outed them as a same-sex couple in a website advertisement.

Logging on to check how their period home was being marketed, they were horrified to find the word ‘lesbians’ in the space where prospective buyers would expect to see a reference number.

Three employees from a local branch of Jackson-Stops & Staff inspected the property and an advert was subsequently placed on the Rightmove property website, where the offending comment appeared. It is believed it was placed there as a joke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...vert-house.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
It's a bit like all minority whinging.

Useful victimhood affected to extract money.

Totally. Victimitus strikes again.

There is a cure - a wad of cash usually helps...

and we go on ratcheting up just how expensive this country has become to get by in with another ridiculous payout.

HOLA444

Given that they've consented to having a whopping great picture of the two of them posted up on the Mail's website in an article that says that, yes, they are lesbians, I don't really see how they can claim to have a problem with being called lesbians. Okay, it wasn't clever of the agent to put it on the advert (although "benefits from lesbians" could be construed as a selling point), but I don't think it's really caused them any damage, given that their attitude in the aftermath of this "revelation" is to, in effect, stand in the middle the concourse at Waterloo during rush hour yelling "We're upset that people know we're lesbians" through a megaphone*.

* Which, incidentally, I would pay to see. Not a lot, but pay nonetheless.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Whatever happened to gay PRIDE?

It's a bit like all minority whinging.

Useful victimhood affected to extract money.

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero
Wheras appearing in the Daily Mail...... :rolleyes:

The best bit is one of the comments is along the lines of "the estate agent was unprofessional". :lol:

HOLA4411

Outing themselves is one thing... being outed by, of all people, an EA is not right and is an invasion of their privacy that could have resulted in all sorts of ramifications for them, their families, careers, etc.

The very fact that someone thought it 'funny' to label them on their property advert just shows the amount of homophobia which still exists in this country.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
What a waste, they are both 'do-able' as well!

I wonder if they'd let me film them and sell the footage on the Internet?! :P

Whilst agreeing that they are "doable" in the privacy of their own home, either as a single item or a pair, I think they are knocking on a bit for pr0n movies.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Totally. Victimitus strikes again.

There is a cure - a wad of cash usually helps...

and we go on ratcheting up just how expensive this country has become to get by in with another ridiculous payout.

And to a couple of rugmunchers too. They'll probably spend it on sex toys.

HOLA4416
Outing themselves is one thing... being outed by, of all people, an EA is not right and is an invasion of their privacy that could have resulted in all sorts of ramifications for them, their families, careers, etc.

The very fact that someone thought it 'funny' to label them on their property advert just shows the amount of homophobia which still exists in this country.

I agree.

it was just such a petty and vulgar thing for the EA to do.

5k seems pretty reasonable to me.

HOLA4417
They are clearly not bothered about the world knowing, as someone else has said, they're in a national paper with far more exposure.

I'd contest the award if I was the EA.

Seeing as there's still plenty of prejudice in this country (and you don't have to look far from this thread to see that), their problem was that the EA had linked them (and their sexuality) with their home address.

If you don't have a problem with everyone knowing your home address, why not post it to this thread?

HOLA4418
Seeing as there's still plenty of prejudice in this country (and you don't have to look far from this thread to see that), their problem was that the EA had linked them (and their sexuality) with their home address.

If you don't have a problem with everyone knowing your home address, why not post it to this thread?

69 Lesby Avenue

Munchington

Flange

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
69 Lesby Avenue

Munchington

Flange

:lol::lol:

Nice one DYIV

When houses fall enough to enable me to buy a whole village I am going to rename it Munchington-Flange

And I myself - will reside at No 69 Lesby Ave.

:lol::lol:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

It was probably just a reference for the EAs so they know who is selling the house.

For a guy with a moustache they might have put 'tash' on their files, or in this case, the used 'lesbians', which is a lot better than 'muff divers'

HOLA4425
It was probably just a reference for the EAs so they know who is selling the house.

For a guy with a moustache they might have put 'tash' on their files, or in this case, the used 'lesbians', which is a lot better than 'muff divers'

You're possibly right. Still, it's a bit of a gaffe to put it in a field that got published on Rightmove.

Archived