House Price Crash Forum

The Tories are going to get annihilated

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Implies we need a more proportional electoral system thenĀ 

Yep, I couldn't agree more, abolish the House of Lords too and while we're at, leave the ECHR, HRA, with an immediate cessation of mass immigration.

We need the equivalent of a stock take to figure out how to move forward as insane levels of debt & 3rd worlders bought about by unelected bureaucrats and VI's has destroyed this country so far.

Once the Tories are consigned to the bin, I hope - and its gonna get messy - that Labour make such a fkn mess of things that they too get put in the bin.

Tories = indifferent, aloof posh-boys who don't have a first clue about the everyday world, (Venal, ideological, vacuous).

Labour = mentally-ill idealists who don't have a clue about the everyday world, (Utopian, Devious, Captured).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Shall we put Brexit away too then? :)

It has been.Ā  I'd honestly estimate 'Brexit' has been mentioned in conversations I've been party to about once a month in the last year, often simply in technical terms when carrying out financial, risk or IT related analysis.Ā  Very rarely in social situations.
That may be because work is primarily Anglo-American and friends and family were largely unaffected by us leaving.

Re topic, we probably won't see a landslide although a swing of 100 or so seats away from the Tories will no doubt be portrayed as such with much glee.

Followed by the inevitable disappointment that nothing has changed that much.

Few people seem to be aware that a huge proportion of parliamentary business is conducted by cross party select committees.Ā  Its the contentious stuff that gets all the publicity which gives a very false impression.
The work of select committees should get much more coverage.Ā  The media presumably assumes the public don't want to hear about opposing politicians agreeing and getting worthwhile things done.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
23 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

It has been.Ā  I'd honestly estimate 'Brexit' has been mentioned in conversations I've been party to about once a month in the last year, often simply in technical terms when carrying out financial, risk or IT related analysis.Ā  Very rarely in social situations.
That may be because work is primarily Anglo-American and friends and family were largely unaffected by us leaving.

Re topic, we probably won't see a landslide although a swing of 100 or so seats away from the Tories will no doubt be portrayed as such with much glee.

Followed by the inevitable disappointment that nothing has changed that much.

Few people seem to be aware that a huge proportion of parliamentary business is conducted by cross party select committees.Ā  Its the contentious stuff that gets all the publicity which gives a very false impression.
The work of select committees should get much more coverage.Ā  The media presumably assumes the public don't want to hear about opposing politicians agreeing and getting worthwhile things done.

Same here to be honest. My work deals with ensuring the de-EUed laws and regulations pertaining to my area are implemented, and so the conversation is probably slightly more frequent, but it's not of any real interest to most (even myself). Some of the guys I know who were very upset with the vote are still doing their European holidays, and are still employed, so they're not as mouthy about it either. Time is a healer!

I think Labour have too many different and conflicting interested parties to do a proper landslide, and while I accept there is a non-zero chance of themgetting in this time, both parties seem to be in a cycle of being in and out that lasts just over a decade to a decade and a half at the moment. If the Conservatives win this election, and then continue the full distance, they would have held the reins for the longest straight numbers of years since Waterloo. So, definitely out in 2029 if they do win again this time.

HOLA446
45 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Meanwhile, the loons over on GB News are laying into Angela Rayner for having taken advantage of right to buy over twenty years ago.

Not for taking advantage of right to buy.Ā  For making a big profit selling the house afterwards, when there are unresolved issues about whether or not it was her own and only home (which was a condition of the scheme).Ā  And now wanting to ensure that others will not have the right to buy at the same 25% discount she benefited from.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13121737/Rayners-48k-profit-council-house-sale-Starmers-deputy-used-Maggies-flagship-policy.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13123471/Im-not-hypocrite-Angela-Rayner-hits-revealed-48k-profit-selling-ex-council-house-right-buy-scheme-Labour-wants-overhaul.html

81675395-13121737-image-a-4_1708809327535.jpg

Edited by Dyson Fury

HOLA447
HOLA448
21 minutes ago, onlooker said:

She is a hypocrite, though.

Nothing wrong with right to buy.....but use the money made to build more council housing, something that was never done.....our council homes got sold off and now the councils that once owned them rent them back because they have no stock to home local working people.....;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Anyway, the Tories are going to be annihilated at the next general election regardless of what is said in this thread :D. Not that I'll be voting for Labour, rather against the Tories.

This is the thing, surely politics is more nuanced these days and a two party system is not fit for purpose nowĀ 

HOLA4414
10 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Anyway, the Tories are going to be annihilated at the next general election regardless of what is said in this thread :D. Not that I'll be voting for Labour, rather against the Tories.

I disagree. I think the Tories will get in. By the narowest of margins, but I don't see labour defeating them. Lets face it, would you vote labour?

Personally I won't be voting for either. However, imagine a labour government headed up by sir kier.......

Doesn't bear thinking aboutšŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

HOLA4415
27 minutes ago, MarkD said:

I disagree. I think the Tories will get in. By the narowest of margins, but I don't see labour defeating them. Lets face it, would you vote labour?

Personally I won't be voting for either. However, imagine a labour government headed up by sir kier.......

What are you smoking? the Tories are going to be obliterated.Ā  Can't get a decent return on a Labour victory at any of the bookies because it's almost a dead cert.

HOLA4416
26 minutes ago, MarkD said:

I will vote Labour if they are best placed to beat the incumbent Tory in my constituency. If not, I will vote for whoever is.

Vote tactically against the Tories and lock them out for a generation.

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I will vote Labour if they are best placed to beat the incumbent Tory in my constituency. If not, I will vote for whoever is.

Vote tactically against the Tories and lock them out for a generation.

Be careful what you wish for. Blair and Brown's government were the worst, terrible. They bankrupted the country. There's no way the Tories could be worse than them, no way.

And yet the Tories have managed to make them look goodšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

HOLA4418
26 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Be careful what you wish for. Blair and Brown's government were the worst, terrible. They bankrupted the country. There's no way the Tories could be worse than them, no way.

And yet the Tories have managed to make them look goodšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Like Cameron reneging on his first manifesto in 2010?

Conservative-Party-Manifesto-2010.pdf (general-election-2010.co.uk)

One thing is clear. We canā€™t go on with the old model of an economy built on debt. Irresponsible public spending, an overblown banking sector, and unsustainable consumer borrowing on the back of a housing bubble were the features of an age of irresponsibility that left Britain badly exposed to the economic crisis. Now, with the national debt already doubled and in danger of doubling again, it is this debt ā€“ together with the jobs tax that Labour will introduce to help pay for it ā€“ that threatens to kill the recovery

Cameron could have reversed the damage done by NuLabour, but despite his manifesto promises, he doubled down on it.

I was a lifetime Conservative supporter, but Cameron and the clowns that followed him have changed all that. Now I vote tactically against them.

HOLA4419
4 hours ago, MarkD said:

Imagine a tory govt headed up by Rishi Sunak...oh we don;t have to imagine...at least starmer(I am no fan) will have been elected not something the pitiful Sunak has been.....

As hovel in hove said ...we need a hung parliament with libs and reform power broking....doubt that will happen.....reform can take a lot of votes from labour and tories.....but tories are pretty much hated my most...except the well heeled old....boomers for example and even then strangely......

I can see tories annihalation by a massive margin....either way this country is going down the pan and is broke...

The last 20 years have been nothing but wasted opportunity and likely the next 20 as well

HOLA4420
On 2/24/2024 at 6:20 AM, The Angry Capitalist said:

Cannot see how they are not finished after the next election.

Never seen the nation collectively hate a party with this much conviction and uniformity in my lifetime.

It's going to be an absolute bloodbath for them.Ā 

Even home owners hate them.

Have seen in many comment threads on Reddit, X and even mainstream online newspapers of people saying how the Tories have destroyed the country.

Comments like:

"I'm a home owner but I hate what the Tories have done to this country. My grandchildren will never be able to afford a house" etc.

At a minimum they are not going to get back into power for at least the next 2 elections so way over a generation. They could even face total wipe out.

It's not just house prices people are angry about. It's the immigration, the train service, NHS, water and sewage problems, inflation and high energy bills etc.

Check out the comments on Martin Lewis' recent post on X about the shocking train service from London to Sheffield:

How about the shambles of HS2 to boot? Cladding scandal? Or even the cabinet reshuffles? There's even talk of someone else now taking over the leadership. Liz Truss? Farage?

Clown show.Ā 

To me to you to me. No to you. To me.

Then we have the recent army/navy fiasco and the failings there.

Shakespeare could not have written a better comedy.

How about the potholes too?

Councils going bankrupt? Didn't they cut funding a decade ago?

How about the closure of the giant gas storage facility so we have to buy gas on the spot market as opposed to using reserves if prices rise like if a war breaks out in a country that is a major gas exporter?

https://archive.ph/8Y28Q

What else can you add to this never ending list of things that show how far down the drain Britain has gone?

They have got no chance. It's beyond a joke now isn't it?

The nation sees right through them and realises how corrupt, incompetent and irresponsible the Tories are.

You have to be a complete moron to not see this.

The self interest and lack of observance as to how many people are suffering and the shocking state of the country as a whole is almost comical.Ā 

Are they really so out of touch they don;t see this?

I honestly cannot wait for the election and I have never watched one live before as it does not interest me.

But for this one I have stocked up on popcorn.

Ā 

Don't worry.Ā  Labour will come in riding a big white steed and wave a magic wand to sort it all out.

(Or that's what the population seem to think given the likely voting in the next election - disappointment awaits - more of the same but on steroids)

HOLA4421
10 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Don't worry.Ā  Labour will come in riding a big white steed and wave a magic wand to sort it all out.

(Or that's what the population seem to think given the likely voting in the next election - disappointment awaits - more of the same but on steroids)

I donā€™t think many people will think that due to the enormous sh1tty stick they will have been handed by the current gov.

Will buy them a bit of leeway imho.

HOLA4422
11 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

I donā€™t think many people will think that due to the enormous sh1tty stick they will have been handed by the current gov.

Will buy them a bit of leeway imho.

+1

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Cameron could have reversed the damage done by NuLabour, but despite his manifesto promises, he doubled down on it.

Trouble was he had to get the Lib-Dims onside to become PM. As he didn't change tack after he no longer needed them in 2015, hard to sayĀ  what he'd have done with a Tory majority in 2010.

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, Si1 said:

This is the thing, surely politics is more nuanced these days and a two party system is not fit for purpose nowĀ 

It's not, but the vast majority of voters can't, or won't, see it. Frustrating as hell.Ā 

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, MarkD said:

Lmao. You're one of the reasons the Tories will get pummeled cos you'll stay at home. Others will vote lib dem reform or labour depending on their situation. And you think they'll sneak in? Lmao.