House Price Crash Forum

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen to the interest base rate on Thursday?

• -0.5%
    • -0.25%
    • 0%
    • +0.25%
    • +0.5%
    • +0.75%
    • +1%
    • Other, please specify below

HOLA441
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
4 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

So, in summary - the press are all wrong, the BOE are all wrong, and you're right? OK then....

To be fair. The press are wrong. The BofE will be right, it’s their decision after all. Stewy? Who knows - he might be wright or rong.

HOLA443

No change.

If they if they did start to cut this early, with inflation well above target, and with inflationary risks brewing, it would be a shock.

I imagine this would be a mistake that will come back on them. 

HOLA444
4 hours ago, nero120 said:

I voted +0.25% not because i realistically think they will raise, but I would absolutely love seeing the debt slaves and VIs implode at the news!! :lol:

Can you imagine this happening the MSM will be saying how terrible this is for anyone who has a mortgage.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The impact of the current interest rate ratchets up the pressure with each passing month.  As fixed mortgage terms at low rates end, new higher ones begin.

So even if they hold, they are tightening budgets for more and more people.

I think there will be no change.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
55 minutes ago, Kyouken said:

The banks dropping mortgage rates, seemingly savings ones as well based on the post on the forum today, and especially the premium bond rate going down, make me think they have been told it is going down.

It's not that they have been "told"...the writing is on the wall...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
12 hours ago, Tony_Teacake said:

I reckon Bailey has already been on the blower to Powell.

"What's happening at the next FED meeting Jerome"

"We are going to keep the rates the same Andrew because there is too much stress in the banking system but the stock markets are crying for a cut".

"Andrew replies ok we will keep them the same".

Those same stock markets that are at, or very close to, all time highs?

They'll stay the same because we're at the top of the cycle. The bigest risk now is them cutting too soon. They'll be sticky on the way down.

CPI has gone from 10.9% to 4.0% It'll be under 3% by end of year unless something unforeseen happens on the upside. Always a risk it goes too far under 2% too....... in which case back to ZIRP.... That's my biggest worry for house prices in the coming years. 

HOLA4413
42 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

Like it was in December, when the cuts were nailed on / baked in, according to you?

They are baked-in. The market (market clearing rate) has adjusted way down even if the BoE is stupidly behind the curve. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
17 hours ago, Stewy said:

It's 1st Feb 

Stewy is right I think - Fed 31st, BoE 1st?

HOLA4417

PS. No change, but watch to see if they say anything about the speed of QT.

I doubt they will say anything, but I suspect they may be selling faster than last year.

Can anybody out there see the data to confirm / refute?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The central bank reiterated warnings that it was prepared to adjust interest rates “if risks emerge”

It comes after inflation rose by more than anticipated in December to 3.4pc amid higher costs for housing, eating out and car insurance. 

The US economy has proved remarkably resilient in the face of borrowing costs rising at the fastest pace since the 1980s. 

The S&P500 immediately fell by as much as 1pc after the Fed issued its statement warning markets against expecting rate cuts imminently.

HOLA4420

if they don't increase the next few dates, bigger increases will have to come later in the year.

10% min. wage increase alongside the supply chain costs that will filter through next quarter, we will be back to double digit official figures by the end of summer.

Cut highly unlikely, but if is the case, bet the house on some .5 increases.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I’ve probably already replied to this thread but honestly tomorrow could go either way.

I think everyone’s prepared for the base rate and the likes of mortgages being at this historic norm for at least 2-3 years, so does it really matter what happens tomorrow? Probably not. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

I was amazed how much 5 yr fixed rates have fallen in January from 5.99 to 3.99 that's a 2% drop whilst trackers still at 6% ?

The BoE are way behind the curve - but the market has already readjusted. ✓

HOLA4425
5 hours ago, coypondboy said:

I was amazed how much 5 yr fixed rates have fallen in January from 5.99 to 3.99 that's a 2% drop whilst trackers still at 6% ?

Why? Fixed rates are no different to the likes of gym memberships with ‘half price for the first 3 months’… etc

Lenders are just trying to entice people onto their accounts.