• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
22 hours ago, Notting Hell said:

One thing about these flats is that they appear to have only a communal laundry.... not sure about that choice. Introduces a huge amount of hassle into life if you don't have a washer/dryer... Seems like the people who might want a self-contained zero hassle flat, probably want a washer/dryer in their flat too...

I hadn't noticed that.  No washer/dryer would be a deal breaker for me.  

HOLA446
22 hours ago, Notting Hell said:

One thing about these flats is that they appear to have only a communal laundry.... not sure about that choice. Introduces a huge amount of hassle into life if you don't have a washer/dryer... Seems like the people who might want a self-contained zero hassle flat, probably want a washer/dryer in their flat too...

Are you surprised??!

FFS! With the rabbit hutch square footage of those apartments it's probably a choice between having a washing machine or a proper bed to sleep on!

How long before, to squeeze out those extra last few pounds of profit and reduce sq.footage to the max, we end up with communal toilets and showers in these sorts of 'desirable' apartments?!

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Gbob said:

Cosy is one word for it. 210 sq ft these ones. 

image.png.eb592eb89f6d1a6459cb418ddfa2d565.png

OK. So the laundry facilities are communal....

But when you've actually done your laundry... WHERE THE F are you supposed to store the stuff? Presumably just about everything gets stored under the bed??!

I can't even begin to imagine what living in one of those during the recent heatwave weather must have been like!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
14 hours ago, anonguest said:

Are you surprised??!

FFS! With the rabbit hutch square footage of those apartments it's probably a choice between having a washing machine or a proper bed to sleep on!

How long before, to squeeze out those extra last few pounds of profit and reduce sq.footage to the max, we end up with communal toilets and showers in these sorts of 'desirable' apartments?!

Was about to say that. More room in a submarine.  The "living room" is basically a chair at the foot of the bed.  I'm not sure what I would develop first if I lived there: depression or claustrophobia.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Was about to say that. More room in a submarine.  The "living room" is basically a chair at the foot of the bed.  I'm not sure what I would develop first if I lived there: depression or claustrophobia.

The idea is you are out everyday working to pay for it because nobody could stay in it for long, send them crazy.;)

HOLA4413
17 hours ago, anonguest said:

Are you surprised??!

for some reason in America washing machines are always communal (where I lived), even when the flats are huge! In one case I had a dishwasher, but still had to go to the basement to wash clothes. Weirdos....

Also is true in Switzerland (and there they also have big flats). Even worse is you get a time slot and *will* be reported to the authorities if you use it outside of your 1-2 hour window each week. And its too bad if the window is during your working hours (the Swiss seem to assume you have a wife at home to do it!).

In France I had my own washing machine in a flat, so more sensible.

HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, MancTom said:

for some reason in America washing machines are always communal (where I lived), even when the flats are huge! In one case I had a dishwasher, but still had to go to the basement to wash clothes. Weirdos....

Also is true in Switzerland (and there they also have big flats). Even worse is you get a time slot and *will* be reported to the authorities if you use it outside of your 1-2 hour window each week. And its too bad if the window is during your working hours (the Swiss seem to assume you have a wife at home to do it!).

Stayed in an apartment once with a washing room ground floor near the lifts......no chairs like get in a launderette, wouldn't want to linger there.......the machines were huge so could fit in double sized wash and the airers dried the washing quickly so no damp washing hanging everywhere........got to know when the cycle is finished, if not about at the time to empty, anyone could help themselves from anything they fancied.;)

HOLA4415

Launderettes (called something like Laundromats in the states?) are something I try and avoid where possible, but are essential sometimes. It takes up a chunk of time, and if you don't take your own detergent you know you'll be ripped off. That said, it can't be too profitable a business (maybe because of energy usage) because it seems rare to see a Brit owner anymore. The two I'm familiar with are run by an Iraqi and an Afghan. It's a business that can give a regular income so long as you accept the long hours.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, MancTom said:

Perhap because Yank washing machines are much larger and thus noisier than our UK/Eu types? And so having and using one in your apartment would be anti-social for the neighbours?

OR, perhaps it's just simply a case that being Yanks for which, typically, their seemingly sole entire raison d'etre in life is just to make money, it's just another way for the building developers/vendors to milk the residents with extra charges?

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4417
42 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Perhap because Yank washing machines are much larger and thus noisier than our UK/Eu types? And so having and using one in your apartment would be anti-social for the neighbours?

OR, perhaps it's just simply a case that being Yanks for which, typically, their seemingly sole entire raison d'etre in life is just to make money, it's just another way for the building developers/vendors to milk the residents with extra charges?

In new York anyway it's a plumbing thing. If every apartment had washing machines etc in them risks overloading the system.

So instead you goto the laundry which has direct connection to sewer 

Edited by captainb

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, captainb said:

In new York anyway it's a plumbing thing. If every apartment had washing machines etc in them risks overloading the system.

So instead you goto the laundry which has direct connection to sewer 

Interesting. Thanks.

Always learn something new  everyday here on HPC.  🙂

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421