House Price Crash Forum

Panicking Red Wall Tories fears they will all lose their seats at the next election

rollover

HOLA441

Panicking Tory MPs in the so-called 'Red Wall' seats of the North and Midlands have held discussions about forming a breakaway party.

With Labour now consistently more than 20 points ahead in the polls – and an increasing number of Tory MPs announcing plans to quit before the next general election – the 'wallers' have discussed forming a new party that would be tougher than Rishi Sunak's Government on issues such as immigration, crime and Brexit.

The MPs fear that unless they act they will become 'one-termers' after being elected in former Labour strongholds in 2019.

Daily Mail

HOLA442
HOLA443

In all my years of polling, I've never seen the Tory brand in such a bad state

Ask a group of people who have previously voted Tory about what they felt when they heard Rishi Sunak was to become Prime Minister and the chances are someone will say ‘relief’. There are plenty of doubts – about his ability to empathise with voters given his family’s wealth. Voters say the Sunak Government feels like a rehash of its predecessors rather than a fresh new administration.

The Conservative brand is in as bad a state as I have seen in all my years of polling. Fewer than one in ten say the party is competent, shares their values or is on their side. Few are optimistic that the latest new Government will succeed in any of its immediate challenges, such as bringing financial stability, controlling inflation or making a success of Brexit – let alone dealing with small-boat migrant Channel crossings or cutting NHS waiting lists.

Labour is more trusted on nearly all policy issues – not just the NHS and the cost of living, but on traditionally Tory territory such as immigration and crime.

Daily Mail

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
3 hours ago, clarkey said:

Nobody actually knows what Labour are going to do yet

Presumably not what they did for decades in these red wall areas which caused local voters to abandon them in 2019?

I can understand them voting not Tory because they have failed them - but Labour ran and failed a lot of these areas (taking them for granted) for a long time before 2019. So why do they think a north London led Labour party will be any better for them this time?

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Presumably not what they did for decades in these red wall areas which caused local voters to abandon them in 2019?

I can understand them voting not Tory because they have failed them - but Labour ran and failed a lot of these areas (taking them for granted) for a long time before 2019. So why do they think a north London led Labour party will be any better for them this time?

In a failing relationship, would you continue with it just because you are afraid the next one might not be any better?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, wighty said:

In a failing relationship, would you continue with it just because you are afraid the next one might not be any better?

I think my argument is that you don't divorce and then go back and re-marry your first spouse - presumably you divorced them for a reason too

Why not try someone or something different - rather than the two partners that are letting you down now or have done before?

HOLA4413
10 hours ago, rollover said:

Panicking Tory MPs in the so-called 'Red Wall' seats of the North and Midlands have held discussions about forming a breakaway party.

With Labour now consistently more than 20 points ahead in the polls – and an increasing number of Tory MPs announcing plans to quit before the next general election – the 'wallers' have discussed forming a new party that would be tougher than Rishi Sunak's Government on issues such as immigration, crime and Brexit.

The MPs fear that unless they act they will become 'one-termers' after being elected in former Labour strongholds in 2019.

Daily Mail

They should have thought about that before being Lib Dems wearing blue rosettes and squandering a 80 seat majority.

All they needed to do was be conservative.  But no.

Sympathy level:  Nil

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
13 hours ago, HousePriceTooHigh said:

AHAHAHA

The red wall voted tory for Boris because was funny and would have plenty of photo ops with a pint

They'll vote Reform next time, because Farage will probably be back

Nigel Farage 'holds secret meetings with disillusioned Red Wall Tories

Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage is said to have held talks with disaffected Red Wall Tory MPs as he plots to make a political comeback with his Reform UK party.

Mr Farage has been 'testing the water' with northern MPs who are unhappy with Rishi Sunak's leadership, according to the Sun. The prominent Brexiteer told the newspaper that while outright defection has not been discussed yet, 'there are a lot of very very disillusioned Conservatives'.

Daily Mail

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, rollover said:

Nigel Farage 'holds secret meetings with disillusioned Red Wall Tories

Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage is said to have held talks with disaffected Red Wall Tory MPs as he plots to make a political comeback with his Reform UK party.

Mr Farage has been 'testing the water' with northern MPs who are unhappy with Rishi Sunak's leadership, according to the Sun. The prominent Brexiteer told the newspaper that while outright defection has not been discussed yet, 'there are a lot of very very disillusioned Conservatives'.

Daily Mail

Farage needs to tell forget employing any of these reject cchq lib dims.

None of them are remotely credible 

HOLA4417
18 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I think my argument is that you don't divorce and then go back and re-marry your first spouse - presumably you divorced them for a reason too

Why not try someone or something different - rather than the two partners that are letting you down now or have done before?

I suspect certain northern regions will be going independent soon and binning both off

HOLA4418
21 hours ago, satsuma said:

Seems to me people are ready to try a change, the Tories seem to be too divided.  Starmer is a former DPP so should be a decent PM.  

You realise he was a pretty poor DPP don’t you, Jimmy Saville’s file landed on his desk and he chose to do nothing with it, if you think that marks him as having the potential to be a decent PM you need to go give your head a wobble.

HOLA4419
On 27/11/2022 at 06:33, rollover said:

Daily Mail

British people only voted for them because of Brexit.  They were never going to keep their seats.

Worse, Brexit party divided labout vote handing seats to the tories.

Next eleciton reform UK will help destroy the tories.

HOLA4420
19 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I knew a bloke that did this!

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, abbot26 said:

You realise he was a pretty poor DPP don’t you, Jimmy Saville’s file landed on his desk and he chose to do nothing with it, if you think that marks him as having the potential to be a decent PM you need to go give your head a wobble.

He did his job perfectly since his job was to protect ‘the state’.

The idea he’s a breath of fresh air for anyone outside that bubble is hilarious 

HOLA4422

'Bogus' asylum seekers must be sent back home

Rishi Sunak is facing mounting pressure from Tory MPs to make emergency changes to modern slavery laws to reduce the number of 'bogus asylum seekers' crossing the Channel in  small boats.

A group of 50 led by ex-minister David Davis has written to the Prime Minister to rapidly implement a 'simple' change in the law to help reduce the flow of people that has reached 40,000 this year.

They want changes to modern slavery laws to make it easier for people they believe do not qualify for asylum, who say they are victims of trafficking, to be returned.

Daily Mail

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 hours ago, zugzwang said:

You have the choice to vote for one of three main parties all of which are identical in every way.

That's democracy.

That model is on the brink of breaking though, there's been very early signs of it.

Northern seats will probably go first, between varying independent factions. The white bourgeoisie Oxbridge class are really struggling to keep the muslim bloc onside now for obvious reasons....there's quite a few vulnerable seats already.

Then you've got the UKIP leaning seats which all switched to being moderate, again I can see a few switching again to independent. 

Edited by Casual-observer