House Price Crash Forum

Car Ownership Is Becoming As Appealing As Smoking

HOLA441

Running a car costs personal finance and the planet a massive hit.

Many young people are now laughing at the idea of owning and running a depreciating sh1tbox that makes fat gamon even more lazy than they already are.

IMO, the car industry is over.  Completely finished actually. 

During this time of "lockdown", many are realising that taking a taxi (or walking......fecking shock of shocks.......humans have legs)  is cheaper than running a sh1tbox for a year, but with much less hassle and more fitness.

Fook BMW, Merc and Ford.  They will all be next to go bust as the new world moves on without them and their desperate attempts to "go green".

The car industry..........lol.   It's already dead, but the dumb punters have yet to catch up.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes, if you live in cities and congested towns.

No if you live anywhere else.

Always try and make sure you are in 20 minute walking distance from essential services.  i.e a decent shop, doctor, school etc.

Those who live miles away from anywhere will always have to pay more (private transport).

But the lights are going out on this kind of lifestyle.  Country people should really be shopping in the village, rather than driving in a sh1tbox to an out of town retail park relic.

HOLA444

Running a car costs personal finance and the planet a massive hit.

Many young people are now laughing at the idea of owning and running a depreciating sh1tbox that makes fat gamon even more lazy than they already are.

IMO, the car industry is over.  Completely finished actually. 

During this time of "lockdown", many are realising that taking a taxi (or walking......fecking shock of shocks.......humans have legs)  is cheaper than running a sh1tbox for a year, but with much less hassle and more fitness.

Fook BMW, Merc and Ford.  They will all be next to go bust as the new world moves on without them and their desperate attempts to "go green".

The car industry..........lol.   It's already dead, but the dumb punters have yet to catch up.

I've been looking at new cars recently, the prices are comical, they seem to be set to make low IR pcp deals more attractive 

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Yeah it's getting to the point where if you walked in with £20k in cash, they would rather sell to a PCP peasant than take the cash off you. 

Feck them and their bent finance schemes.

Debt is king. 

Just looking at 7 Series bmws. 

70k to 100k news. 

30k 2 years later

Says to me, the iap is a joke 

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Ford Fiestas start at about £16 k according to the Ford website, £16k for a Fiesta? It might be cheaper to use Taxis for many the way things are going. Due to Covid I I did 1700 miles between MOTs

Should be easy to work out. 

You could hire car for weekend now and again. 

Supermarket deliveries etc. 

Buying a new car makes 0 sense

One disturbing thing i read is electronic mileage blockers. 

Lots of people, esp high end, using mileage blockers to fiddle the figures on lease cars. Now you cant even trust the 1-4 year ex lease cars!!! 

HOLA4411

Should be easy to work out. 

You could hire car for weekend now and again. 

Supermarket deliveries etc. 

Buying a new car makes 0 sense

One disturbing thing i read is electronic mileage blockers. 

Lots of people, esp high end, using mileage blockers to fiddle the figures on lease cars. Now you cant even trust the 1-4 year ex lease cars!!! 

It's getting to the point where you are better off taking taxi's than renting rubbish cars.

IMO, the car industry is finished and they have brought it on themselves.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Good job the younger generations couldn't give a fook about cars.

They are a relic of the 20th century, as we all know.

Amen to that. Since Covid big chunks of Soho, Marlebone and other areas of central London are closed to traffic in the evening and from midday on weekends for on street dining and its breathed new life into London. You can literally see how we allowed the motor car not just to pollute and choke us to death but also suck the community lifeblood out of our towns and cities. None of these streets were designed and built for the motor car anyway.

HOLA4415

A car is a refuge; choose comfortable heated seats, a license to operate, total freedom of movement; an airy, light and spacious environment from here to where, when everywhere won't feel like nowhere forever. Sweet petrol fed through 6, 8 or 12 British cylinders and a visceral sense of poise and spatial positioning through aural feedback. Choose progress atavistically. 

HOLA4416

Amen to that. Since Covid big chunks of Soho, Marlebone and other areas of central London are closed to traffic in the evening and from midday on weekends for on street dining and its breathed new life into London. You can literally see how we allowed the motor car not just to pollute and choke us to death but also suck the community lifeblood out of our towns and cities. None of these streets were designed and built for the motor car anyway.

This is true.

Haymarket used to be the market for hay.

HOLA4417

Ok Count, my car is a 8 year old Hyundai I10 76000 miles owned from 5 months worth about 2k., tax is £20 itll last another 10 years . I like it and smile when I think of folks spunking a fortune just to have a flash motor on the drive.

Yeah you are one of the smart ones hughjass.

I still own a 21 year old Merc CLK, but it's getting to the point where I never use it, as I've been working from home and can easily walk to the local supermarket, bank etc to get some fresh air and exercise.

Do I need a car....any car, going into 2021?  It's looking doubtful.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm with you, with one exception - kids.

Yeah I take your point about needing a 'mobile home' to carry push chairs and bottle bags.

Each family needs to add up the expense of running a couple of cars a year, versus the alternatives. 

See, in the 20th century a car was a status symbol, whereas in 2020 it's another debt chain around your neck to rival a mortgage and imo it isn't worth the hassle.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Well a car has always been a money pit really. But yeah, I think many people are now realising that they don't really need one, and a walk to the shops does you more good. Actually, most of the consumer tat people have bought over the past 30 years people can do without. I've spent the last 3 months getting rid of a lot of stuff.

The car industry is on it's way out. We may get electric self-drive cars in the future that people don't own. These would simply be dotted around and you'd order the nearest one to come and pick you up.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yes, if you live in cities and congested towns.

No if you live anywhere else.

Absolutely this.

I can drive 6 miles to a supermarket, do a brief shop, and drive home in 30 minutes. Public transport would be about 3 hours. bowlochs to that. You ain't seeing the end of cars anytime soon.

HOLA4424

Absolutely this.

I can drive 6 miles to a supermarket, do a brief shop, and drive home in 30 minutes. Public transport would be about 3 hours. ****** to that. You ain't seeing the end of cars anytime soon.

I average cycling in the city circa 18mph better than your 12.

HOLA4425

Absolutely this.

I can drive 6 miles to a supermarket, do a brief shop, and drive home in 30 minutes. Public transport would be about 3 hours. bowlochs to that. You ain't seeing the end of cars anytime soon.

Yeah I take your point, for many who live in the county, personal transport is essential, but we have millions of people in the UK who drive 1 mile on the school run and another mile to go shopping and are paying thousands per year to do this.

Maybe they don't care and if that is the case, then good luck to them.

Archived