House Price Crash Forum

Car Ownership Is Becoming As Appealing As Smoking

A car is a refuge; choose comfortable heated seats, a license to operate, total freedom of movement; an airy, light and spacious environment from here to where, when everywhere won't feel like nowhere forever. Sweet petrol fed through 6, 8 or 12 British cylinders and a visceral sense of poise and spatial positioning through aural feedback. Choose progress atavistically. 

Yep

Passing my driving test was one of the best days of my life.

I could see any of my friends at any time and go any place.

If this is not replaced by something more efficient (for example self driving on demand cars) then for me its another sign that our lifestyles are becoming worse.

Grandad is is true that when you were a child you dad was an electrician and he managed to have a detached house with a garden, a car and you went to other countries by plane WOW

Edited by Fromage Frais
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrol/diesel and electric will be running side by side for many more years yet......electric cars not practical and the infrastructure not there....... hybrid, a happy medium if into it.

Nobody wants to rent the roads, pay as you drive......big business/private companies would love to take over our roads and charge us rent per mile to travel on them......massive money maker for them.....the people wouldn't put up with it.;)

If this is not replaced by something more efficient (for example self driving on demand cars) then for me its another sign that our lifestyles are becoming worse.

Self-driving cars IMO cross the line between using a machine to do things for you and being dependent on the machine because you can't even operate it yourself - lack of technology would be a lifestyle getting worse, but so's that level of dependence on it for things you should be capable of doing yourself.

You Are aware most of these electric cars will use generic motors and batteries?

Tesla has advanced with the self driving stuff but that won't  be mandatory for a long time. The safety stuff city brakes a d other systems have been out years already.

No brand is going down the pan that's a myth.

They said the same about SAAB. RIP.  I have made a note in my note book, to reply to this when the next legacy ICE car goes bust or is absorbed to just be a brand. I could have said Vauxhall, which are now just reshelled Peugeot / Citreons, but i will be fair and wait for a biggy to die.

Nobody wants to rent the roads, pay as you drive......big business/private companies would love to take over our roads and charge us rent per mile to travel on them......massive money maker for them.....the people wouldn't put up with it.;)

Don't be so sure. It's pretty easy to get the general public to put up with anything just as long as you don't do it all at once in a big, sudden change.

Don't be so sure. It's pretty easy to get the general public to put up with anything just as long as you don't do it all at once in a big, sudden change.

Yep those rowdy French are constantly rioting about all their tolls roads, they ...............o, hang on a minute, no, they just pay them. 

For some reason YouTube threw this idiot up in the list of things I might want to watch.

He didnt have a deposit but just had to have a flash new car...he doesnt even know all of the toys it has and he now wants out of his PCP. Not that this is the first time hes been bitten by this!

Worth a watch for the laughs.

What a numpty. He's worked out that he paying a fortune in interest and fees on a depreciating asset yet he still carries on doing it. 

They said the same about SAAB. RIP.  I have made a note in my note book, to reply to this when the next legacy ICE car goes bust or is absorbed to just be a brand. I could have said Vauxhall, which are now just reshelled Peugeot / Citreons, but i will be fair and wait for a biggy to die.

Saab was always misfit brand.

Merc bmw Ford vw are going nowhere.

Why not shift a few more million ice cars while they still can ? 

Building a milk float family car is easy, tesla just like to make out they are good at it.

Some people will buy into anything.......even if they know what they had was far superior than what they got sold as better for them......fickle.;)

Petrol/diesel and electric will be running side by side for many more years yet......electric cars not practical and the infrastructure not there....... hybrid, a happy medium if into it.

There are motoring as a service models being looked between government, automotive manufacturers and fiance companies. The motorist will pay a monthly fee for use and maintenance of the vehicle, the electricity to charge and to use the roads.

Whilst it is certainly not appealing. due in large part to the "war on the motorist", it's not going to die anytime soon.

Only 15% travel to work by public transport.  Unbelievable isn't it, with all this attention paid to train services which take about 6% of workers to work.  If you strip out London from this figure it will become pretty negligible I would think.

The large majority drive to work, even in London, surprisingly enough.  Even though they have made it as miserable and expensive as possible.

They've wasted millions on cycling and hardly increased it one jot.  Someone needs to do a cost/benefit analysis on the money spent on cycling, it will come to millions of pounds per extra cycle commuter.

Where I work, we get new graduates coming in by train and cycle when they first start.  This lasts a few weeks or months until it becomes obvious, even to them, how hopeless it is.  Then they buy a car.

Edited by kzb

Saab was always misfit brand.

Merc bmw Ford vw are going nowhere.

Why not shift a few more million ice cars while they still can ? 

Building a milk float family car is easy, tesla just like to make out they are good at it.

Thats' why all attempts by big auto, they can only make their EV's less than 5k less for like for like spec, but are still not as efficient as a Tesla, or they have to resort to making EV's way, way more expensive than a Tesla, for less Tech, and still have worse efficiency and range. For Example, the VW ID3 1st is £35k , only 5k short of the cheapest Tesla, but cant match the Telsa like for like on range or tech, and is only a Golf sized hatchback.  Pug E2008 GT we test drove on Friday, is also £32k after grant, but even this top spec model is woefully behind Tesla in every measure.

Self-driving cars IMO cross the line between using a machine to do things for you and being dependent on the machine because you can't even operate it yourself - lack of technology would be a lifestyle getting worse, but so's that level of dependence on it for things you should be capable of doing yourself.

I understand but there was also a time when we had to wash and dry our own clothes.

At present many of us in this country have the opportunity (I say this as a Norfolk country bumpkin) to step outside enter the car and go.

I can envisage saying hey google take me to my friends house in Paris and the car being there in 15 minutes it may not be peoples preference but i can see how that could replace the car especially when self driving cars will be safer and faster than human drivers and driving yourself will be a niche dangerous activity.

However to reverse the mobility of people via cars becoming too expensive is a step backwards.  I already have young people that work for me who would love to take a job in the city 20/30 minutes away but they are almost trapped in the countryside unless they have a car/motorbike as public transport is not up to it and or costs.

Edited by Fromage Frais

There are motoring as a service models being looked between government, automotive manufacturers and fiance companies. The motorist will pay a monthly fee for use and maintenance of the vehicle, the electricity to charge and to use the roads.

No surprise in that.......selling off cheaply to private companies to run for profit all public assets eventually, if not enough money made we will like the trains end up subsidising what we once owned with public money....small state, unregulated and globalised.......your public road could one day be privately owned by somebody else, somewhere else.....you pay them to use it, increasing over and above inflation annually...... everything available to rent for the proles and plebs.;)

Thats' why all attempts by big auto, they can only make their EV's less than 5k less for like for like spec, but are still not as efficient as a Tesla, or they have to resort to making EV's way, way more expensive than a Tesla, for less Tech, and still have worse efficiency and range. For Example, the VW ID3 1st is £35k , only 5k short of the cheapest Tesla, but cant match the Telsa like for like on range or tech, and is only a Golf sized hatchback.  Pug E2008 GT we test drove on Friday, is also £32k after grant, but even this top spec model is woefully behind Tesla in every measure.

It does not matter for 10 years and not every market is going to electric so soon either. The world is bigger than the uk 🤣
I really don't see a problem

Mate just bought a Tesla. No idea where he got the moolah but his father in law gives them a few hundred every month (gives him control over their lives, where they live etc) so maybe that’s where it came from.

Seeing more on the roads these days.

Debt like everything else obviously

I take it you do not own a car, nothing wrong with that, but there are plenty of people from all walks of life who do value their cars and enjoy driving them, many would be lost without them.

I do own a car, but may sell soon. At the very least, it will likely be my last car. I just don't use it enough to justify having it, and certainly won't miss the servicing and mot. Other people I know are thinking the same.

I used to be heavily into cars in my 20s, like many men. But just like video games, interest and motivation declines, particularly when you get into your 40s. I will say that for many, getting a new car feels like Christmas day, and driving it is a pleasure in the first couple of weeks. Then, it just becomes an ordinary car, nothing special.

Mate just bought a Tesla. No idea where he got the moolah but his father in law gives them a few hundred every month (gives him control over their lives, where they live etc) so maybe that’s where it came from.

Seeing more on the roads these days.

Because BEV is the future, and those that understand that, like my family, are getting on board. Our 1st EV bought in 2014 is now paid off this month, with 105k miles still drives like new, passed it's 6th MOT on the trot last week with the same advisory for the same garage it has had for 2 years in a row. Still on is factory fitted front brake pads and discs, and the rears where only changed @ 80k miles. There is no clutch, gearbox, exhaust, turbo, EGR, DMF, cambelt, or any of that ICE crap to fail. Battery still does the same range as it did the day it left the factory in 2012. 

BEV sales accounted for 5.4% of the whole uk car market in 2020, up 4 x from 2019. Talking to the Sales Manager at the local Peugeot dealer on Friday, ICE sales have been a disaster since COVID arrived, but BEV sales of the E208 and E2008 have skyrocketed, they cant get them fast enough to sell with a 3 month waiting list on delivery.

and certainly won't miss the servicing and mot

Buy and electric car, our 2012 EV just past it's 6th MOT on the trot @ 105K, nothing needed, zero road tax, 1-3p a mile in fuel costs.

Mind you, you will pay for all these benefits now the 2nd hand market knows how good EV's are, £35k now in 2012, we picked it up in 2014 for £17k @ 15k miles, yours today with 105k miles, and zero warranty, £7k.

For me, seeing the number of cars on the road just reminds me of what a miserable rat race this country is. I don't work myself as financially I don't need to, however seeing people zooming to work, back and forth each day is depressing. Lockdown was great seeing how quiet everything was. Even just going to the local shops is a miserable experience in a car, which is why I now walk and it only takes 15 minutes. Granted, walking places is much better on a warm, sunny day, but even outside of summer, I don't need any perceived added convenience of a car. 

No surprise in that.......selling off cheaply to private companies to run for profit all public assets eventually, if not enough money made we will like the trains end up subsidising what we once owned with public money....small state, unregulated and globalised.......your public road could one day be privately owned by somebody else, somewhere else.....you pay them to use it, increasing over and above inflation annually...... everything available to rent for the proles and plebs.;)

Plus don't forget the cut for the banksters who've securitised the assets. 

Because BEV is the future, and those that understand that, like my family, are getting on board. Our 1st EV bought in 2014 is now paid off this month, with 105k miles still drives like new, passed it's 6th MOT on the trot last week with the same advisory for the same garage it has had for 2 years in a row. Still on is factory fitted front brake pads and discs, and the rears where only changed @ 80k miles. There is no clutch, gearbox, exhaust, turbo, EGR, DMF, cambelt, or any of that ICE crap to fail. Battery still does the same range as it did the day it left the factory in 2012. 

BEV sales accounted for 5.4% of the whole uk car market in 2020, up 4 x from 2019. Talking to the Sales Manager at the local Peugeot dealer on Friday, ICE sales have been a disaster since COVID arrived, but BEV sales of the E208 and E2008 have skyrocketed, they cant get them fast enough to sell with a 3 month waiting list on delivery.

A big nudge towards BEV is the company car tax. My brother has just has got a Jaguar iPace as a company car as there is zero tax. This is a big accelerator for BEVs