House Price Crash Forum

Car Ownership Is Becoming As Appealing As Smoking

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do own a car, but may sell soon. At the very least, it will likely be my last car. I just don't use it enough to justify having it, and certainly won't miss the servicing and mot. Other people I know are thinking the same.

I used to be heavily into cars in my 20s, like many men. But just like video games, interest and motivation declines, particularly when you get into your 40s. I will say that for many, getting a new car feels like Christmas day, and driving it is a pleasure in the first couple of weeks. Then, it just becomes an ordinary car, nothing special.

As already mentioned all depends on where you live, and how regularly a car is used, how important a car will be to each individual.....not everyone lives in an area with lots of traffic, some can travel freely along roads to get from A to B without any jams or hold-ups (saves on fuel and pollution).....a car can be expensive, but it needn't be, depends on the car, small engine, fuel efficient, reliable, low insurance car will save money, be cheaper than public transport over time if used daily.......I can see many car families sharing a car in the future.......when a car is not required for work, sharing a car and costs makes sense.;)

I passed my test and bought my first car last year. Even in London its essential if you have kids, it was a nightmare before.

After covid, having kids who like to lick bus windows and other passengers is problematic. Pushing a pram and holding hands with the second child during a thunderstorm, positively dangerous trying to cross a road.

A big nudge towards BEV is the company car tax. My brother has just has got a Jaguar iPace as a company car as there is zero tax. This is a big accelerator for BEVs

So it should be, great isnt it! Who would choose a BMW or MERC when they can have the same price Tesla, free of TAX and fiesta running costs (or less), and more tech and performance for the same monthlies.

Dont forget the other scheme, open to all employees, not just those at company car level, to have a BEV company car, that they pay for via salary sacrifice, and also pay no BIK for. And the lease scheme is inclusive off all maintenance and insurance. 

So you get a fully paid BEV company car, of your choice, pay zero BIK (and only 102% in the next few years), have no servicing or tyres to pay for while you lease it, and the monthly cost is free of TAX and NI, so way lower than even business rates, for personal use. 

And the kicker for all you debt haters, it makes not one jot how much debt you are in to join this scheme, as long as you are employed and your employer takes on the scheme, appoints a scheme lease company, you will never be rejected as long as your monthly salary sacrifice does not exceed you monthly salary.  Earn minimum wage £16k a year, and want to SS £1000 pcm on a Tesla Model 3 Performance, faster than a BMW M3, and a few pence a mile in leccy for fuel costs, no problems. You can do it. 

We are eying up a few BEV's this way on a 2 year lease once the wife's workplace bring it in, planned Q1 2021.  2 years is best as it makes most efficient use of the £3k BEV grant. 

For me, seeing the number of cars on the road just reminds me of what a miserable rat race this country is. I don't work myself as financially I don't need to, however seeing people zooming to work, back and forth each day is depressing. Lockdown was great seeing how quiet everything was. Even just going to the local shops is a miserable experience in a car, which is why I now walk and it only takes 15 minutes. Granted, walking places is much better on a warm, sunny day, but even outside of summer, I don't need any perceived added convenience of a car. 

It must be horrible having your walk spoiled by all those workers in the rat race.

Let's ban cars so they have to walk or cycle 10 miles in the rain to get to work, to keep it nice and quiet for you.

Running a car costs personal finance and the planet a massive hit.

Many young people are now laughing at the idea of owning and running a depreciating sh1tbox that makes fat gamon even more lazy than they already are.

IMO, the car industry is over.  Completely finished actually. 

During this time of "lockdown", many are realising that taking a taxi (or walking......fecking shock of shocks.......humans have legs)  is cheaper than running a sh1tbox for a year, but with much less hassle and more fitness.

Fook BMW, Merc and Ford.  They will all be next to go bust as the new world moves on without them and their desperate attempts to "go green".

The car industry..........lol.   It's already dead, but the dumb punters have yet to catch up.

I'm guessing you don't have kids? A 2 mile trip to school needs a car. 

Don't be so sure. It's pretty easy to get the general public to put up with anything just as long as you don't do it all at once in a big, sudden change.

And remember that we rent our medium of exchange from commercial banks when, at negligible cost, we could publicly issue an adequate supply of persistently circulating, debt free currency as a common utility.

We have been conditioned to accept this absurdity as normal, so why not similarly for roads?

So how come the big traditional ICE manufacturers aren't able to replicate the same levels of tech and efficiency that Tesla manage to achieve?

Surely it can't be that difficult for the big manufacturers to hand over a Tesla to their R&D teams and find out what the secret of Tesla's success is?

So how come the big traditional ICE manufacturers aren't able to replicate the same levels of tech and efficiency that Tesla manage to achieve?

Surely it can't be that difficult for the big manufacturers to hand over a Tesla to their R&D teams and find out what the secret of Tesla's success is?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

So it should be, great isnt it! Who would choose a BMW or MERC when they can have the same price Tesla, free of TAX and fiesta running costs (or less), and more tech and performance for the same monthlies.

Dont forget the other scheme, open to all employees, not just those at company car level, to have a BEV company car, that they pay for via salary sacrifice, and also pay no BIK for. And the lease scheme is inclusive off all maintenance and insurance. 

So you get a fully paid BEV company car, of your choice, pay zero BIK (and only 102% in the next few years), have no servicing or tyres to pay for while you lease it, and the monthly cost is free of TAX and NI, so way lower than even business rates, for personal use. 

And the kicker for all you debt haters, it makes not one jot how much debt you are in to join this scheme, as long as you are employed and your employer takes on the scheme, appoints a scheme lease company, you will never be rejected as long as your monthly salary sacrifice does not exceed you monthly salary.  Earn minimum wage £16k a year, and want to SS £1000 pcm on a Tesla Model 3 Performance, faster than a BMW M3, and a few pence a mile in leccy for fuel costs, no problems. You can do it. 

We are eying up a few BEV's this way on a 2 year lease once the wife's workplace bring it in, planned Q1 2021.  2 years is best as it makes most efficient use of the £3k BEV grant. 

Almost all true, but to clarify - the combination of all salary sacrifices from your income cannot take you below minimum wage for a payment period. It's not correct to say you can do it 8f you only earn a basic minimum wage.

But it does mean this....

70k earner, with family who is renting. Their company offers pension salary sacrifice with NI saving, plus say a 6% employee contribution, cycle to work unlimited value and electric car sales sac scheme.....

If they take full salary, they'll be left with 4k p/m, with no pension provision. 

Sacrifices:

32k ish from gross gets them a 40k pension contributions total

10k on cycle to work (s-works?)

6.5k for the model 3.

Total sacrifice 48.5k. No tax/ni liability on that amount. Now left with 21.5k gross.

And the real astonishing part....at their new salary, as they have kids and rent, they are probably entitled to UC based on that 21k figure, because as far as I can tell (Do your own research), all the above are classed as exempt. Plus they get their child benefit back.

That UC + child benefit probably takes them back to around a 3k income - the equivalent of a 50k gross salary Ish. So they are maybe losing somewhere between 1k-1500 p/m net, and gaining 40k in pension, a 10k road bike each year and a Tesla 😂

I could be wrong of course....

Edit - Yep, it's probably fine. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0260120

Tax credits version - same likely to apply to UC - better even because under UC the housing element works better than under tax credits + housing benefit).

Edited by Frugal Git

Not sure apart from the battery management tech what other automotive manufacturers can learn from Telsa. Certainty not anything about reliability. 

TESLA WORST FOR RELIABILITY IN AMERICAN DRIVER SURVEY

Tesla Model S listed among the 15 least reliable cars in the UK

Not sure apart from the battery management tech what other automotive manufacturers can learn from Telsa. Certainty not anything about reliability. 

Wonder how many of those are "cosmetic" as opposed to actual reliability. Tesla are well known for shoddy panel fitting. I even spotted it on the demonstrator I took out.

I had a look at teslas yesterday, the prices are incredible.

I had a look at teslas yesterday, the prices are incredible.

?? Cheap for what they are?, good value for what they are? Expensive for what they are?  Personally I think they are good value for what they are, look at any legacy ICE BEV , especially triple models where they have the ICE soft hybrid / ICE plugin Hybrid and the Full BEV model. The BEV model to buy will most likely be £10k more than the ICE Hybrid model.

You can have a Tesla model 3 for mid spec BMW 3 series . Merc . Audi money, that is Faster, miles more tech, way way more reliable, just as good to drive, and has less than Fiesta running costs with no requirement to ever service it to keep the main warranty and the 8 year battery warranty. 

The thing is the brain doesn't do gaps in knowledge, so it invents stuff when it doesn't know the truth. And traditional car buyers and moto journalists just don't know Tesla until they buy, then they have a shock. 

All ICE makers have a dealer network, Tesla doesn't.  For a big chunk of the cars profit, the dealer network is the middleman between the car's factory and you the customer. That's why traditional big Auto has a PDI process. Panel gap issue, they adjust it, minor paint problem, they fix it, condensation in a brake light lens, they swap it, faulty window switch, they change it. These things go on every day, for every manufacturer. 

Once they have finished, you get a call to collect your nice new car, pretty perfect. If there is a major fault you will be told, your car has a "issue" and will be delayed, which could be months or weeks. 

Not so with Tesla. Even though they have showrooms, they car basically leaves the factory off the production line, and comes straight to you the customer. There is absolutely no PDI process. You are the PDI. But Tesla will fix anything you request as not right in the first year, but you will join a queue for the work to be done. 

This is the reason why Tesla have these bad ratings, an army of ******** customers who just cant cope that there is no PDI process. 90% of all these "reliability" problems will be cosmetic or non critical post factory rectification errors the self owned dealers will have to fix, or they often send a man in a van out to you to fix the issue. Having a scuffed alloy from the factory does not stop the car driving perfectly.

If the survey's were about pure mechanical failure, that rendered the car undriveable for a period of more than 1 day, then Tesla would be no 1 , all day, every day.