House Price Crash Forum

Tory civil War Explodes Back Into Life After Admission That New Bill Breaches International Treaty

HOLA441
HOLA442

Well Parliament has to pass it...if any Tory rebellion is big enough it will be blocked...if not it goes through and all votes are recorded for posterity!

After all of the show boating we were treated to last year, I have been wondering where this lot have been over the past 6 months anyhow.

Will we see resignations from the Cabinet to avoid collective responsibility???

HOLA443

So the 'easiest deal to make' is being torn up and replaced with cr*p made off the cuff; can you remind me where the 52% signed for this action as the 'will of the people'?  

We are doing this because 'they need us more than we need them'.  Am also assuming the 'queues of countries wanting to deal with us' are happy for us to change the rules to suit us as we see fit?

HOLA444
HOLA445
44 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Well Parliament has to pass it...if any Tory rebellion is big enough it will be blocked...if not it goes through and all votes are recorded for posterity!

After all of the show boating we were treated to last year, I have been wondering where this lot have been over the past 6 months anyhow.

Even if parliament passes it, the HoL will block it - it was a manifesto commitment to use the WA, so they are within their rights to block legislation that changes that.

HOLA446
HOLA447
2 minutes ago, Postman said:

I don't see the Tories voting through a bill that breaks international law, if they do we are truly lost. 

Tories have no problem with that if it serves their paymasters. Look at the vitriol against the Human Rights Act.

They'd happily burn the Geneva Convention and International Maritime Law if it mean they could turn away and sink refugee boats (and be supported by folks here too for it)

Who else was against International Tax Avoidance laws too?

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

Quite possibly. If we have more Covid and Brexit problems during the winter months I could well envisage MPs not just resigning to avoid responsibility, but also quitting because they don’t have the backbone to be able to cope. 

HOLA449
Just now, ForGreatLager... said:

Quite possibly. If we have more Covid and Brexit problems during the winter months I could well envisage MPs not just resigning to avoid responsibility, but also quitting because they don’t have the backbone to be able to cope. 

Well there has to be a changing of the guard to take us from managers to leaders...just hope the more lunatic fringe dont get a foot in the door.

Perhaps Rishi Sunak could use this as an excuse to either

• Bail due to the fact his sums dont add up
  • Mount a leadership bid.

Perhaps he will write himself an editorial in favour of both to help him decide.

HOLA4410
4 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Perhaps Rishi Sunak could use this as an excuse to either

• Bail due to the fact his sums dont add up
  • Mount a leadership bid.

Perhaps he will write himself an editorial in favour of both to help him decide.

It’s absolutely incredible how MPs cause such problems for greater society and just walk away with impunity. It’s either reappearing on the back bench, chairing a select committee to question the next puppet as to why they’ve not been able to fix the problems they themselves caused, a six figure job with one of their sponsors, or Strictly!

Where’s the incentive to do the right thing for the people they purport to serve?!?

HOLA4411
30 minutes ago, ForGreatLager... said:

It’s absolutely incredible how MPs cause such problems for greater society and just walk away with impunity. It’s either reappearing on the back bench, chairing a select committee to question the next puppet as to why they’ve not been able to fix the problems they themselves caused, a six figure job with one of their sponsors, or Strictly!

Where’s the incentive to do the right thing for the people they purport to serve?!?

Speaking quite frankly, democracy is a fatally flawed system for me. It is broken and unfixable.

These people work for us. We literally employ them as representatives and pay them a salary to represent our interests. But somewhere along that line the power balance has reversed. If an employer was concerned about the actions of their employees, they'd be able to scrutinise those actions in full detail. But, try to request more detail about certain things the government is up to and you're told to get lost. Imagine an employee telling their employer to get lost.

But there is no mechanism to change this. As a citizen of this country, I can't create a referendum on an aspect of the country and have other citizens vote on it, unless these people who have seized the power (government) agree to let me. And clearly they're not going to let me if it infringes on their power.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
54 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Speaking quite frankly, democracy is a fatally flawed system for me. It is broken and unfixable.

The whole system seems corrupt.

You vote for us and we’ll keep increasing the value of your house, as long as you turn a blind eye to us fiddling the economy to the benefit of ourselves and our sponsors. 

You know things are bad when you start thinking that Caligula’s plan* to make his horse, Incitatus, a consul seems an eminently sensible idea given today’s political climate. 

*Yes, I know it’s never been proven to be factual.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I feel a bit of sympathy for backbench mps, which isnt the same as being in the government. The pay is 82 grand, which is above national average but not excessive considering the responsibility involved, below that of some headteachers, doctors, public sector managers. Those that do their job conscentiously will be dealing with the unheralded work of dealing with their constituents problems. They have little actual power, a lot less than the leader of a large council. To get into the trough, an mp has to get into government as a minister,  a former defence secretary would get on some lucrative company boards, just being a former backbench mp offers nothing. 

And when they do what they think the right thing is for the country, the public doesnt thank them. Take Antoinette Sandbach, safe seat,not a troublemaker, voted for Theresa mays brexit bill unlike certain other current members of the government, but then decides there is a line she will not cross, knowing her political career will be over. Does she get lauded by the public and the press for her integrity? No, she is out of a job and forgotten while the country goes on to vote in an unprincipled opportunist(whose position on brexit was based purely on his own political ambitions) as prime minister. 

HOLA4416
4 hours ago, msi said:

Tories have no problem with that if it serves their paymasters. Look at the vitriol against the Human Rights Act.

They'd happily burn the Geneva Convention and International Maritime Law if it mean they could turn away and sink refugee boats (and be supported by folks here too for it)

Who else was against International Tax Avoidance laws too?

On 2nd thought, I think you're right

Edited by Postman

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, msi said:

So the 'easiest deal to make' is being torn up and replaced with cr*p made off the cuff; can you remind me where the 52% signed for this action as the 'will of the people'?  

We are doing this because 'they need us more than we need them'.  Am also assuming the 'queues of countries wanting to deal with us' are happy for us to change the rules to suit us as we see fit?

They'll have to delay withdrawal, otherwise civil war could kick in.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
4 minutes ago, Patfig said:

Straw Man

😄

Wicker Man?

Edit: Apparently it's Back British Farming Day today.

Edited by Timm

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
7 hours ago, richmondtw said:

Bored with Brexit 

We don't want to lose......get over it.

Who has lost?......get over it.

We all might have lost......get over it.

Would love to ignore it and think it did not happened.......just waiting to find out who will be the winners and who will be the losers....... anyone's game......the jury is out.;)

HOLA4423
8 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

I feel a bit of sympathy for backbench mps, which isnt the same as being in the government. The pay is 82 grand, which is above national average but not excessive considering the responsibility involved, below that of some headteachers, doctors, public sector managers. Those that do their job conscentiously will be dealing with the unheralded work of dealing with their constituents problems. They have little actual power, a lot less than the leader of a large council. To get into the trough, an mp has to get into government as a minister,  a former defence secretary would get on some lucrative company boards, just being a former backbench mp offers nothing. 

And when they do what they think the right thing is for the country, the public doesnt thank them. Take Antoinette Sandbach, safe seat,not a troublemaker, voted for Theresa mays brexit bill unlike certain other current members of the government, but then decides there is a line she will not cross, knowing her political career will be over. Does she get lauded by the public and the press for her integrity? No, she is out of a job and forgotten while the country goes on to vote in an unprincipled opportunist(whose position on brexit was based purely on his own political ambitions) as prime minister. 

Would recommend reading Isobel Hardman's book 'Why We Get the Wrong Politicians'. Your post is a summary of the book's main points. 

1*btoxspiLovtOPncvWj4rMQ.png

HOLA4424

Just heard that the Americans are now saying that if the UK follow this course of breaching international law, then the chances of a trade agreement between the UK and the US passing the house of congress is 'zero'.

FFS, the uk needs to get rid of Cummings and Boris right now, never mind by year end.  These ******* are going to completely destroy this country.......probably forever, if they keep going down this road to total ruin.

The current events are completely astonishing and totally disgraceful, but then this is what the Northern voters wanted.................

HOLA4425
3 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

The current events are completely astonishing and totally disgraceful, but then this is what the Northern voters wanted.................

No it's what all Tory voters wanted. It is what the 52% wanted. It is what the apathetic that couldn't be a*sed to vote deserve.

You reap what you sow.