House Price Crash Forum

What can be done to prevent an economic implosion?

HOLA441
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
12 minutes ago, GodlessEndeavor said:

Oh, I've gotten over it. But that doesn't mean there are easy answers to the simultaneous crises of covid + brexit (I mean, one of them is hard enough to handle by itself!).

And yet neither of them are real crises. They are both crises of the mind.  

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
2 hours ago, Locke said:

Lol what a control freak point of view.

Is other people doing what they want really so irritating to you?

There was a popular chap back in the 30s whose view you might find interesting.

Oh dear. A selective quote, leaving out most of the paragraph, that displays a lack of intelligence.  My bad, I completely misjudged you.

HOLA448

There is nothing that can be done to prevent an economic explosion now. Time to brace for impact and protect yourself best you can. So many awful decisions leading up to this point and a completely polorised  country ready to tear each other apart. Next decade should be fun.

Edited by doomed

HOLA449
HOLA4410
17 hours ago, Tapori said:

Audit the offshore tax havens. PROPERLY.

Of Tax them an extra 10 percent. Spend on housing, and infrastructure. Introduce civil service eform and widen diverse recruitment (No, not idPol.)

we both know that`s never going to happen. your only chance is a change of government and then a change of voting reform and that`s not going to happen either. 

all that can happen now is total anilation of the economy including the vi`s so force a change.

HOLA4411
15 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Jeff Bezos's $188 billion spread across the world's 7 billion population is an extra $26 each.  Every little helps I guess, but a one off boost even from a lot of 1%ers like that doesn't make a long term difference.

The main problem in the UK is the scandalous cost of housing, that's why this website exists.  Get that back to a reasonable figure and many of the other problems solve themselves.

indeed hence why my second quote already said that, water it down to the plebs and its nothing.  The problems are little persons problems though they have no appetite to fix that.

HOLA4412
5 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Yes we'll see how well Brexit works out for all those northern voters next year, when none of them have a job and the country goes bankrupt.

All good fun.

They can blame covid now (and so can the government). And to a large extent they'd be right, it's going to be hard to discern the impacts of each.

HOLA4413
1 minute ago, GodlessEndeavor said:

They can blame covid now (and so can the government). And to a large extent they'd be right, it's going to be hard to discern the impacts of each.

Yeah maybe, but Brexit isn't going to bring the economy or northern jobs back.  Five years on the dole might tell them that Brexit has done feck all for them.

HOLA4414
34 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Yeah maybe, but Brexit isn't going to bring the economy or northern jobs back.  Five years on the dole might tell them that Brexit has done feck all for them.

Well I am in the South and unfortunately before this even kicked off,ie up to last year,the jobs market is becoming very limited.

Did a stint at one of the three big Yodel centres.90 to 95 percent staffed by people from the EE
Also went for an interview at Ocado warehouse,again similar staffing levels percentage wise I presume.I was the only one out of 15 who was not EE.

HOLA4415
22 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Jeff Bezos's $188 billion spread across the world's 7 billion population is an extra $26 each.  Every little helps I guess, but a one off boost even from a lot of 1%ers like that doesn't make a long term difference.

Then again, I worked out that a 90% wealth tax on the UK's 50 wealthiest would raise about £700 billion.  If it could be collected of course.

£700 billion divided by the UK (not world) population would be about £10k each, but much better to pay off some gov. debt and invest in infrastructure.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 16/08/2020 at 16:53, Trampa501 said:

One of my wildest suggestions is to shut down the internet for 4 weeks - this would create demand in retail shops and at least stop all those folk walking around glued to screens. I do realise however that it can't be done - for one thing, people need it now for banking (Banking)...

Huge construction works? Change the roads so we drive on the right, just to create work? Bury gold in a mass web search game?

What out-of-the box ideas can help us now?

easy.

once the SHTF, and redundancies ensue,then we get another "event" to galvanise the people against "the enemy", some proper hardcore military action and lockdowns(again) this time for civil suppression purposes rather than virus transmission.

should this happen,you'd better be sure what military event is being planned is going to be extremely unpopular.

HOLA4418
25 minutes ago, kzb said:

Then again, I worked out that a 90% wealth tax on the UK's 50 wealthiest would raise about £700 billion.  If it could be collected of course.

£700 billion divided by the UK (not world) population would be about £10k each, but much better to pay off some gov. debt and invest in infrastructure.

Including the Queen and her hangers-on? Or doesn’t she make the top 50 list these days?

HOLA4419
6 minutes ago, oracle said:

easy.

once the SHTF, and redundancies ensue,then we get another "event" to galvanise the people against "the enemy", some proper hardcore military action and lockdowns(again) this time for civil suppression purposes rather than virus transmission.

should this happen,you'd better be sure what military event is being planned is going to be extremely unpopular.

there is form on this one,depth of recesion seems to correlate with extent of bloodletting

crash 1990= gulf war 1.0

dotcom crash 2000= 9/11 and then war in afghanistan/gulf war 2.0

financial crisis 2008= war in libya 2010

2015=syria

2020 COVID= something pretty nasty within 18 months

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
22 hours ago, longgone said:

we both know that`s never going to happen. your only chance is a change of government and then a change of voting reform and that`s not going to happen either. 

all that can happen now is total anilation of the economy including the vi`s so force a change.

There will be a v-shaped recovery.  In five years hardly anyone will even remember it.

We will have another £300bn or so added to our tab but no-one cares about that.  The debt was through the roof before all this, it is now going to be a bit further through the roof.  So what ?

HOLA4422
17 minutes ago, kzb said:

There will be a v-shaped recovery.  In five years hardly anyone will even remember it.

We will have another £300bn or so added to our tab but no-one cares about that.  The debt was through the roof before all this, it is now going to be a bit further through the roof.  So what ?

We have to payi interest on that debt which will balloon and mean higher taxes and higher inflation

it's going to affect all of us make no mistake. 

Also there will be no V shaped recovery.

HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

We have to payi interest on that debt which will balloon and mean higher taxes and higher inflation

it's going to affect all of us make no mistake. 

Also there will be no V shaped recovery.

Even the Tory PM has told us they can borrow for effectively negative interest rates.

If they then make inflation increase they can inflate away the debt.

They were unveiling a big borrowing and spending splurge in the last budget if you remember.

I have been thinking the house of cards will collapse next week since the early days of Thatcher.  We are still here.

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

Even the Tory PM has told us they can borrow for effectively negative interest rates.

If they then make inflation increase they can inflate away the debt.

They were unveiling a big borrowing and spending splurge in the last budget if you remember.

I have been thinking the house of cards will collapse next week since the early days of Thatcher.  We are still here.

They can't.  Sooner or later it will come home to roost. The BoE either raises interest rates or let inflation rip through the economy. 

Wait and see... patience .

IR's were 10-15% after Thatcher during the 90's recession/ERM debacle and in the US in the early 80's they went up to 25% as they had to deal with inflation

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, Warlord said:

They can't.  Sooner or later it will come home to roost. The BoE either raises interest rates or let inflation rip through the economy. 

Wait and see... patience .

BBC pie chart of UK wealth in £trillions:

Chart showing the composition of Britain's wealth

Government debt I believe is predicted to reach £1.98 trillion this year.  We are a long way from being broke, even our ONS-counted assets (i.e not including offshore) way exceed our debts.

On inflation, yes they will inflate away the debt.  They have already made a good start on this looking at Tesco prices recently.  But that won't be apocalyptic, we've had high inflation within living memory.  Just after we joined the EU it peaked at 26%, largely because we had to buy food at EU prices.  We're still here.