House Price Crash Forum

Redundancy Watch - 25% of companies to make redundancies

HOLA441
On 20/10/2023 at 08:14, fellow said:

Avara closing another factory:

300 Jobs at risk as Gloucestershire poultry plant closure announced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-67145995

Pure coincidence of course!!

A BIG, BIG housing development is planned NEXT DOOR to the chicken 'factory', smells from the factory were raised as a valid reason to refuse the planning ap!

OK, we'll shut the factory to stop the smells, sure!

Our (Polish) neighbours (a private rental property) work at the factory, are now considering returning home, when they arrived in the UK 10+ years ago, wages and the standard of living were apparently much, much better here.

However he stated last weekend they are seriously considering returning home, very little difference now between Poland and the UK, both wages and the standard of living.

So has the Polish economy improved substantially in the past 10+ years, or has the UK economy fallen greatly in the past 10+ years?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
9 hours ago, HPCatlast. said:

A BIG, BIG housing development is planned NEXT DOOR to the chicken 'factory', smells from the factory were raised as a valid reason to refuse the planning ap!

So has the Polish economy improved substantially in the past 10+ years, or has the UK economy fallen greatly in the past 10+ years?

Or a bit of both, and Poles do claim the UK is slightly racist 

HOLA445
10 hours ago, HPCatlast. said:

The Polish economy has increased significantly, whilst the UK one has stagnated.  Essentially they are catching us up.

HOLA446
52 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

The Polish economy has increased significantly, whilst the UK one has stagnated.  Essentially they are catching us up.

Culture of hard work, education, strong social contract.... Everything the UK p*sses on ;) 

HOLA447

from this mornings FT - AI to cause "increased unemployment and poverty by 2030"

AI task force sets out scenario of increased UK joblessness and poverty by 2030

Rishi Sunak will seek to reassure the public on Thursday about the risk posed by artificial intelligence, as the UK government sets out a possible scenario in which advances in automation lead to increased unemployment and poverty by 2030. The British prime minister will promise the people “we will keep you safe” in a speech that will coincide with the publication of a set of papers designed to inform discussions at next week’s AI safety summit at Bletchley Park....

...One scenario outlined by Hogarth’s task force involves the effect of AI systems “starting to provide effective automation in many domains” in the near future. The paper continued: “By 2030, the most extreme impacts are confined to a subset of sectors, but this still triggers a public backlash, starting with those whose work is disrupted, and spilling over into a fierce public debate about the future of education and work.” In this scenario the “AI systems are deemed technically safe” — “but they are nevertheless causing adverse impacts like increased unemployment and poverty”.

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 24/10/2023 at 22:35, Maghull Mike said:

Poland is the new Germany

I've been thinking that for a while now...apparently they did some war games modelling and reckon the Poles vs Germany = no contest....Germans wouldn't have a chance

On 24/10/2023 at 22:11, HPCatlast. said:

Our (Polish) neighbours (a private rental property) work at the factory, are now considering returning home, when they arrived in the UK 10+ years ago, wages and the standard of living were apparently much, much better here.

However he stated last weekend they are seriously considering returning home, very little difference now between Poland and the UK, both wages and the standard of living.

Well i would say the latter I don;t recognise this country from 10 years ago let alone 20 years ago...opportunities were better then.....

Ironic really a bunch of EE's pour in(thanks to Bliar), wages grind to a halt......fast forward we are now on a par with the EE states....I had conversations with poles back in 03 who thought our house prices were stupid o'clock then compared to Poland and in fact Germans thought the same...and that was then!

I realised long ago the EE'ers were running 2 games...they alway had other options like their home country that folk here didn;t.....and don't

I've lost count of the times I've heard EE'ers saying if it all goes **** up I'll just do a bunk and go home....and that includes mortgage holders, landlords etc..

Most Poles I know were often building a nice house back home for well under 100k(often half of that)....I'm sure prices there may have risen now but not to the level of crazy here...in fact most seemed to think it was utterly potty here and that was 20 years ago......the ones who did take on the debt to buy here always had that get out exit ....if say prices crashed....just leave....good luck Nationwide finding Lukasz in Poland and ironically he probably has a whole other credit history going on over there concurrently....just overnight in the car on the ferry and the UK is instantly a distant memory!

Of course those now deciding to leave they can bank the equity of any property by selling and and poodle off before our real estate implodes.....

As I have said the architect of Brexit was Tony Bliar more than any other person....without his arbitrary decision to have no limit on EE immigration like the other European states he set the UK on the path to Brexit and he alone!

And what a mono lingual jerk like Bliar would never understand is that English is the modern day latin of it's day and the first language most learn after their own for self advancement and the only English speaking country in the whole of the Europe was surprise surprise the United Kingdom and surprise surprise the one with no Eastern European immigration caps!

Thanks Bliar

Edited by staintunerider

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
On 25/10/2023 at 09:57, msi said:

Culture of hard work, education, strong social contract.... Everything the UK p*sses on ;) 

Worked with any? Weren't the "hardest workers" at all when I did. English outworked them by far.

Edited by yodigo

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, yodigo said:

Worked with any? Weren't the "hardest workers" at all when I did. English outworked them by far.

I worked with many Europeans. I found the Polish and Russians to be most like the British. Portuguese also had a “can do” culture. French and Germans seemed generally to want to find a reason not to change. 

But most people from all countries were receptive to change provided they understood the reasons. So as usual it’s individuals not nations.

HOLA4415
13 minutes ago, Nick Cash said:

I worked with many Europeans. I found the Polish and Russians to be most like the British. Portuguese also had a “can do” culture. French and Germans seemed generally to want to find a reason not to change. 

But most people from all countries were receptive to change provided they understood the reasons. So as usual it’s individuals not nations.

Don't know about Russians but do find the Polish quite British like.....not thought of it like that before.......one late 20 or early 30 something know works in IT London, own home in Poland and two homes in other European countries...when not in London will work from one of their homes, all three probably would have cost less than one London home that we would have to pay for, maybe they did rent the Valencia property out, not sure ......stays with friends whenever needed in London.;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
8 hours ago, regprentice said:

Rishi Sunak will seek to reassure the public on Thursday about the risk posed by artificial intelligence, as the UK government sets out a possible scenario in which advances in automation lead to increased unemployment and poverty by 2030. The British prime minister will promise the people “we will keep you safe” in a speech that will coincide with the publication of a set of papers designed to inform discussions at next week’s AI safety summit at Bletchley Park....

...One scenario outlined by Hogarth’s task force involves the effect of AI systems “starting to provide effective automation in many domains” in the near future. The paper continued: “By 2030, the most extreme impacts are confined to a subset of sectors, but this still triggers a public backlash, starting with those whose work is disrupted, and spilling over into a fierce public debate about the future of education and work.” In this scenario the “AI systems are deemed technically safe” — “but they are nevertheless causing adverse impacts like increased unemployment and poverty

Interesting watch if you have a spare 40 mins.

HOLA4418
15 hours ago, msi said:

Shell cuts 200 jobs, contracting the hydrogen division

The hydrogen wing of the oil and gas giant is to shrink as the company moves away from work on powering hydrogen cars.

They’ve sold UK retail power off, stopping hydrogen development, next they’ll be drilling for oil and gas again!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Fears of City jobs axe grow as IG cuts 10% (60,000) of staff

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/ig-city-jobs-goldman-tax-b1117040.html

Fresh fears of a cull of City jobs grew today when IG Group said it would cut 10% of its workforce.

For the leading spread betting house that is 300 roles. Replicated across a City workforce of 587,000, that would mean towards 60,000 jobs lost.

IG said the job losses would help save £50 million a year. It called the move “measures to simplify and streamline the business, better positioning it for further growth”.

Edited by fellow

HOLA4421

Starting to see my friends in other sectors starting to feel this 2008 style deep recession kicking off.

it’s spreading. 

have a friend in marketing who was seeing massive fall of in the ratio of ‘views’ converting into orders dropping through the floor. 

basically those who are investing in marketing are running quick basically to keep still with orders, while others are cutting down on marketing fully. 

it’s only a matter of time before unemployment rockets, once companies realise it’s easy to replace low skilled workers again, they will shed their hard fought for workers on mass, which they have been terrified to let go (for fear of not being able to replace them)

So instead of a gradual increase of unemployment it will be like a wall on a graph. absolutely rocket in a short period of time.

Probably at the start of next year

there is only so much ‘it’s only a blip, things will turn up’ conversations before everyone twigs they are well behind the curve and need to slash jobs. 

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

it’s only a matter of time before unemployment rockets, once companies realise it’s easy to replace low skilled workers again, they will shed their hard fought for workers on mass, which they have been terrified to let go (for fear of not being able to replace them)

Pleb: I was hoping for a raise, you know, cost of living.....

Boss: I was thinking more like P45.

HOLA4423
On 26/10/2023 at 17:16, Sackboii said:

Interesting watch if you have a spare 40 mins.

What got from that is, in the future soft personal skills will be more important and in demand in both society and in the workplace, than hard skills that are learned in a classroom.......AI and bots can more easily replicate, provide solutions, answers for that........;)

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

Starting to see my friends in other sectors starting to feel this 2008 style deep recession kicking off.

it’s spreading. 

have a friend in marketing who was seeing massive fall of in the ratio of ‘views’ converting into orders dropping through the floor. 

basically those who are investing in marketing are running quick basically to keep still with orders, while others are cutting down on marketing fully. 

So instead of a gradual increase of unemployment it will be like a wall on a graph. absolutely rocket in a short period of time.

Probably at the start of next year

there is only so much ‘it’s only a blip, things will turn up’ conversations before everyone twigs they are well behind the curve and need to slash jobs. 

It is falling of a Cliff from where I am looking 

HOLA4425