House Price Crash Forum

Where to emigrate to, balancing housing, law, etc?

HOLA441
6 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

Love this expression.  Felt very safe in Singapore and it’s just so clean and organised, but I did start to feel a bit constrained.  Think HK is my favourite city on that side of the world but I only ever visited.

The ME has never appealed, probably because I’m female.

Good point. Agree on HK. Had a blast there, but only in brief stints. Dubai/AD are fine for female. No real difference from any global city. Anywhere else, probably terrible. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, stuckmojo said:

I spent 2 years in Singapore and 2 years in Dubai. 

Singapore was awesome. Model country for me. I know it's Disneyland with death penalty, but no crime to speak of, incredibly efficient services and plenty of work to go at. 

People are a bit naive and paranoid, compared to - say - Hong Kong - but it's a great place. Had the wife liked it, I'd still be there. 

After that, Dubai.  Some good bits (the desert, the no-tax, some of the local people are great) and some bad bits (corruption, poor living standards for a lot of the immigrants, safety on the roads etc). But incredibly easy for a Brit to adapt to. Very few cultural things to do unless you like pop music or generic shit. I left due to the job and I wanted to be home and reunited with wife/friends/etc. 

Now back in the North East, happy enough. Dubai, I wouldn't go back unless the salary is astronomical - and that can happen. Singapore, if I could I'd go back immediately. And I'd never buy property. Who cares. 

Ah, I also spent a lot of time in Saudi Arabia. Well, to put it politely, ****** that. 

i'd vote for singapore too but i would not want to live in a condo. how much would a little villa with a small garden cost there?

was thinking malaysia, somewhere like langkawy but not been for a few years so not sure how it is now.

HOLA444
4 minutes ago, destroyah said:

i'd vote for singapore too but i would not want to live in a condo. how much would a little villa with a small garden cost there?

was thinking malaysia, somewhere like langkawy but not been for a few years so not sure how it is now.

A fortune. Though I lived in a condo on the Sing river, with 1,600 sq ft, pool and secure parking for two cars, barbecue area etc. I never felt the need/want for more space, which is an issue now in the UK (due to zero usable communal space and thieving scrotes for cars/bikes)

Malaysia can work, but perversely you need more money than in SG to live well as the place is dirty, corrupt, unsafe and so on. 

HOLA445
1 minute ago, stuckmojo said:

A fortune. Though I lived in a condo on the Sing river, with 1,600 sq ft, pool and secure parking for two cars, barbecue area etc. I never felt the need/want for more space, which is an issue now in the UK (due to zero usable communal space and thieving scrotes for cars/bikes)

Malaysia can work, but perversely you need more money than in SG to live well as the place is dirty, corrupt, unsafe and so on. 

i lived in marina bay and for a period on orchard road.

if i did not have to work i would want a garden, particularly in a warm climate as i love gardening so i think sing would be out for me unfortunately.

HOLA446
HOLA447
21 minutes ago, destroyah said:

Was there last year. Langkawis cheaper tax for booze rues were under threat. The recent Governments have been far more hard core [relatively] Islamists than previous Governments. Its still a relatively open and decent feeling Islamic country - but moving towards a more 'harder' direction. Just one small example. In the 7-11 there are now signs on the fridges stating this alcohol must not be sold to Muslims.

Little things like this creeping across the country. I still love the place. However would be a bit wary about making any long term plans for there.

HOLA448
16 minutes ago, ccc said:

Was there last year. Langkawis cheaper tax for booze rues were under threat. The recent Governments have been far more hard core [relatively] Islamists than previous Governments. Its still a relatively open and decent feeling Islamic country - but moving towards a more 'harder' direction. Just one small example. In the 7-11 there are now signs on the fridges stating this alcohol must not be sold to Muslims.

Little things like this creeping across the country. I still love the place. However would be a bit wary about making any long term plans for there.

in the mid two thousands they had this plan called malaysia my second home.

if you deposited 200k dollars in the country you would get permanent residency.

sounded attractive at the time but i don't know if it is still open now.

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, destroyah said:

in the mid two thousands they had this plan called malaysia my second home.

if you deposited 200k dollars in the country you would get permanent residency.

sounded attractive at the time but i don't know if it is still open now.

Lots of places do similar. Plenty in the Caribbean. Quite often you are required to buy a certain property from some new development as part of this. In flight magazines are usually full of these.

HOLA4410

I really don't fancy buying anywhere again but will see how we feel when in mainland Europe.

If I had my way we would sell the family home we bought 5 years ago before going as this time it feels like a proper crash might be on the way compared to the false start in 2008 but it's been hard enough getting the kids to go with their parents crazy idea and leaving friends, sports teams etc without also selling the only home most of them have known!

Edited by GeordieAndy

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Africa, SE Asia all these "dream places" are good if you have a well-paid job that will pay for your health insurance and the international school fee for your kids.

Just like my Singaporean friend told me: Singapore ... great place to live, just pray that you don't get sick.

HOLA4413

Think we might be over complicating things going into some third world republic, putting ourselves in danger etc.

Just move somewhere cheap in this country...

* A state retirement package worth 250k

* Cradle to grave welfare

* A proper legal system

* Mother tongue

* NHS package worth £2,000 per person per year.

And amongst the cheapest houses in the world if you can cope with isolation..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63453430.html

Not surprising that most of the countries mentioned, their citizens will do just about anything to live here and get a slice of our welfare.

HOLA4414
50 minutes ago, CentrinoDuo said:

Africa, SE Asia all these "dream places" are good if you have a well-paid job that will pay for your health insurance and the international school fee for your kids.

Just like my Singaporean friend told me: Singapore ... great place to live, just pray that you don't get sick.

Singapore's health system is one of the highest rated for outcomes.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/25/15356118/singapore-health-care-system-explained

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Think we might be over complicating things going into some third world republic, putting ourselves in danger etc.

* A proper legal system

* Mother tongue

Not surprising that most of the countries mentioned, their citizens will do just about anything to live here and get a slice of our welfare.

For a compromise of cheap housing and facilities, I score Scarborough  high.

Now IRs are turning, there's a sh1t load of probate going to hit the market too.

Edited by spyguy

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

Add some of the North Shore in to the bubble.  It’s like a different world when you head out West.

The 40 plus days, probably even 35 plus days really started to get to me, it gets too hot to even go to the beach.

True. Saying that, I'd happily live somewhere like Coogee or Kirribili with air con and decent transport links. But they're not representative, or probably remotely affordable now.

HOLA4417

We lived in Australia for 2 years. My other half was made redundant and wouldn't find any other work. We tried most major cities but gave up in the end. Due to the size of the country this was hard to do as interviews could involved long plane journeys.

I was only able to find occasional contract or part time work. It wasn't like living in a UK city. Would be different if one's profession was a doctor or nurse of course. 

It was very much "jobs for the locals first". My other half was blatantly sacked with a days notice when a company did a mass sacking when taken over by a USA company. Laws around this are toothless. There is a tribunal system but that takes months/years. Our experience was bad. We noticed lots of sackings of non-Australian's in our experience of the tribunal system.

Housing costs are a big problem in Australian and NZ cities and towns. I have nieces and nephews in both.  They are largely priced out.  We found the standard of living low compared to the UK. Food costs as an example were very high.

Edited by Flopsy

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
27 minutes ago, spyguy said:

For a compromise of cheap housing and facilities, I score Scarborough  high.

Now IRs are turning, there's a sh1t load of probate going to hit the market too.

Indeed Belgravia with a couple of noughts knocked off.  60k and enjoy the benefits of living in the UK like free NHS and being able to speak the language.  See Georgian façade 2/12.

I'd be surprised if you could live cheaper anywhere else in the world.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64150225.html

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4421
13 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Its not that expensive.

Esp. compared o how much the nHS swallows and what you, as a tax payer, gets for it.

That might be true, but this thread is about people moving abroad and some people suggested some places. What I'm saying is that these dream places that were mentioned earlier have no reciprocal health care system with the U.K.

HOLA4422
34 minutes ago, guest_northshore said:

True. Saying that, I'd happily live somewhere like Coogee or Kirribili with air con and decent transport links. But they're not representative, or probably remotely affordable now.

We lived in Kirribilli for a bit, really liked it there.  Great for NYE too.  Was expensive back then and we could only afford it due to the LAFHA which you don’t get anymore.

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

* A proper legal system

* Mother tongue

That house does not have a garden and needs lots of modernisation, also heating might be expensive.

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Flopsy said:

We found the standard of living low compared to the UK. 

Just steer clear of Sydney and life is great in Australia:

• The food in Australia is far better - it's mostly local produce, rather than imported in refrigerated trucks from Spain. 
  • There is much less poverty in Australia - 13% vs 20% in the UK.
  • There are fewer social problems owing to the more homogeneous race/religious groups.
  • The housing is much larger on average - the largest average house size in the world. 
  • You can buy a block of land and build on it with little interference.
  • Median salary for full time work in Australia is 40% higher than UK.
  • ...and then there's the weather.

Some tat is more expensive there, but you can import things under AUD $1000 with no import duties or tax.

HOLA4425
4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Indeed Belgravia with a couple of noughts knocked off.  60k and enjoy the benefits of living in the UK like free NHS and being able to speak the language.  See Georgian façade 2/12.

I'd be surprised if you could live cheaper anywhere else in the world.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64150225.html

The Pink! The Pink! The Pink!

Price of a crappy semi in London:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40173867.html

160k - Really nice bath-like cresent.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71889935.html

Bit further from centre but nice area

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64409980.html