HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

UK.gov won't cheer and bray like you lot. That's a lot of votes, tax revenue, and consumption lost.

This impacts my cost of living and yours..and no I don't work in finance or politics.

Votes: 40,000 bankers = 0.09% of UK electorate

Tax revenue: at a corporate level, have they finished paying us back for their bailout yet? at the personal level, if they're not heavily into tax 'efficiency' they're not very good at their jobs and I'm guessing the net revenue ain't much.

Consumption: mostly the purchase of inflated house prices, thus driving up HPI.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

UK.gov won't cheer and bray like you lot. That's a lot of votes, tax revenue, and consumption lost.

This impacts my cost of living and yours..and no I don't work in finance or politics.

You are probably expecting to be flamed by the braying mob for that comment and that may yet happen.

I for one won't be braying or celebrate their leaving. Why?

Because the pathetic amount of tax they paid for such huge gains was still helpful and yes they did bring in a lot of other jobs and spend some their ill gotten gains here in the UK, but the most notable effect of that was to drive up prices. So my honest opinion is that we may all be worse off in the short term, some of us much worse off, others I suspect will see little impact and wonder what the fuss is all about.

In the longer term however, the Great British tax payer has bailed out these greed mongers too often, at the cost of the many for the benefit of the few.

No on balance, after a lot of screaming and shouting and quite possibly some rough times, I suspect that the truth may actually finally dawn on people, we simply don't need them, we never did.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
30 minutes ago, longgone said:

or a viewing tower where the plebs can look at buildings they can`t afford to buy. 

Or maybe Purple Bricks could use as their viewing platform-come-hipster juice bar where the plebs can see where they might soon be able to afford post HPC.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Switch625 said:

I suspect that the truth may actually finally dawn on people, we simply don't need them, we never did.

So long as the UK makes quality items and offers quality services that people would desire, then people abroad will continue to want Sterling so that they can purchase our stuff. The government even have the ability to tweak how desirable our currency is to those abroad by altering the base interest rate. For a couple of decades, some of these desirable services have been money laundering, destructive mergers and acquisitions, debt leveraging, and tax avoidance. If these things disappear or move elsewhere a) the UK would be a morally better place  b_) Sterling will still be in demand and we will do just fine.

The UK is in a unique position; even our teachers and tutors are in huge demand abroad as people want to learn our culture, and come to our public schools and universities.

The bad news is that various governments have had us on a slippery slope to low skill, low wage jobs which elicit no desire or demand from overseas.

The taxes lost from the City wizards moving abroad is a red herring; if you buy into MMT, you know that taxation is a way of regulating demand, and not needed to fund government expenditure.

Edited by Millaise
hyperlink

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, nightowl said:

Or maybe Purple Bricks could use as their viewing platform-come-hipster juice bar where the plebs can see where they might soon be able to afford post HPC.

only if purple bricks have a time machine . even with a crash i can`t see hipsters buying anywhere.  

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
3 hours ago, reddog said:

Those jobs would have gone anyway, partly to automation, and partly to lower cost locals like Poland (not Paris or Frankfurt).  These trends where already happening before Brexit.

Good to hear. 

The MSM, ergo the establishment, are throwing no end if negative made up b.s. at the general population before they announce EURef 2

HOLA4424
HOLA4425