House Price Crash Forum

Volumes

HOLA441

I have noticed the volumes for sale in my search ares (plymouth) have increased quite dramatically almost by 40%. They seem to of hit their all time lows around January/February time this year, which were pretty much all time lows also (not just seasonal). Volumes seem to have suddenly ramped up in June and still seem to be climbing. 

Whats everyone seeing with volumes in your local areas?
anyone have any hard data?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
8 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

I have noticed the volumes for sale in my search ares (plymouth) have increased quite dramatically almost by 40%. They seem to of hit their all time lows around January/February time this year, which were pretty much all time lows also (not just seasonal). Volumes seem to have suddenly ramped up in June and still seem to be climbing. 

Whats everyone seeing with volumes in your local areas?
anyone have any hard data?

Ive given up looking at for sale volume. All meaningless.

I look at the houses sold i nthe LR data.

Still on the floor in the places I track - way less than 20% of a normal market would be. But a normal market as not existed for almost 20 years.

What does it mean? Most people over 60 are going to leave their current house in a box.

HOLA446
27 minutes ago, spyguy said:

What does it mean? Most people over 60 are going to leave their current house in a box.

And those are the only insdtructions priced sensibly.

And the only ones selling. Eas still having to fantasy price to win new instructions.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Just now, Mapatasy said:

Why so?

As in For Sale listings.

They go on he EA/RM. Sit there. Then come off. There's places that have sat on RM for 5-10 years. This is not a market; its BS.

Pointless.

The only figures that are important are the LR transaction figures. The rest are just fantasy BS.

HOLA449

Agree with spyguy. Only motivated sellers will sell and before long there will be lots of them. It doesn't take much commitment from a "seller" to list their property with an estate agent. There are plenty of time wasters , speculators and dreamers out there.

Market in Greater London seems well slow.

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, chicker said:

Agree with spyguy. Only motivated sellers will sell and before long there will be lots of them. It doesn't take much commitment from a "seller" to list their property with an estate agent. There are plenty of time wasters , speculators and dreamers out there.

Market in Greater London seems well slow.

But aren't things different now that the market is turning?

Surely, now the 'news is out', any spike in inventory levels is of great significance?

HOLA4411
54 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

But aren't things different now that the market is turning?

Surely, now the 'news is out', any spike in inventory levels is of great significance?

Up till 2002 you have waht could be described as a normal market - transaction underwritten by FTBers.

From 2002, BTL became the market. People with houses were buying extra. People selling houses decided theyd keep it and 'let it out'.

Bascially, the last 15 years has seen a very small demographic horde housing. Or become very exposed to housing.

Now, BTL is rightly screwed. IO mortgages are going to get reamed - or put on a repayment.

MMR means mortgages are tied to earning, not some fantasy figure.

Outside of the public sector, real earnings have been falling for 10 years.

SO you have a small demographic how have multple houses (currently those in their 50s) looking to exit their position by selling to someone who's not had a wage rise for 10 years and can only borrow ~3 times earnings.

HOLA4412

Worse than ever in my 2 areas of interest (Anglesey/Snowdonia and Derbyshire)

I keep thinking my Rightmove property alert emails mustn't be coming through when I go days without getting anything... but no, there's literally nothing coming up for sale at all.

3 years ago I was getting around 4 alerts a day, I don't even get 4 in a whole week now.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Up till 2002 you have waht could be described as a normal market - transaction underwritten by FTBers.

From 2002, BTL became the market. People with houses were buying extra. People selling houses decided theyd keep it and 'let it out'.

Bascially, the last 15 years has seen a very small demographic horde housing. Or become very exposed to housing.

Now, BTL is rightly screwed. IO mortgages are going to get reamed - or put on a repayment.

MMR means mortgages are tied to earning, not some fantasy figure.

Outside of the public sector, real earnings have been falling for 10 years.

SO you have a small demographic how have multple houses (currently those in their 50s) looking to exit their position by selling to someone who's not had a wage rise for 10 years and can only borrow ~3 times earnings.

Sounds about right to me.

main earner 30/35 second 20/25 = 50k in riches part of my area per houshold.

50/60k x 4.7 = 280 ish + circa 100k from mum and dad (remortgage) and you can buy a family house.

Not many with mums and dads with spare wonga but enough to keep this section of market hot as even less family homes for sale.

Any time more than one come up in the same are/estate the prices stall and reduce so the balance can be tipped with more supply.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, spyguy said:

Ive given up looking at for sale volume. All meaningless.

I look at the houses sold i nthe LR data.

Still on the floor in the places I track - way less than 20% of a normal market would be. But a normal market as not existed for almost 20 years.

It is quite amazing when you look at houseprices.io just how low the sales prices are in comparison to what you think is selling locally.

Quite a number of chains are falling through and a high number must go SSTC and then withdrawn as they dont appear.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4416
21 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Sounds about right to me.

main earner 30/35 second 20/25 = 50k in riches part of my area per houshold.

50/60k x 4.7 = 280 ish + circa 100k from mum and dad (remortgage) and you can buy a family house.

Not many with mums and dads with spare wonga but enough to keep this section of market hot as even less family homes for sale.

Any time more than one come up in the same are/estate the prices stall and reduce so the balance can be tipped with more supply.

Your salary figures are too.

UK mean income is ~28K. 60% of the population earn less than that.

The most likely couple figures are ~35k + 15k.

AS far as deposits goes, 80% of the UK have less than 5K in saving. Id guess less than 5% of the UKPOP have 100k in cash.

HOLA4417

Where supply has suddenly increased I think it's because people have suddenly realised that maybe prices don't go up for ever and are all rushing for the exit.  This has definitely happened in parts of London (SW8?).  (I've been following the London thread since Damik started it.)

In places I've been following some have also thought they would be one of the first to get out eg Sandhurst (Berks) where there is a glut of BTL coming on (2/3 bed terraces) and I've been looking at asking prices falling from about £300K for a 2-bed which is now down to £270K for the cheapest with further to go I would think.

The tidal wave hasn't hit everywhere yet so this effect isn't so obvious everywhere.  I would expect Anglesey would be one of the last places to be hit, sorry Nome.  Before the rush for the exits there seems to be a bit of stasis where the grim reality sinks in so low volume. 

A lot of people will have a shock when they see how much the cost of moving actually is.  I've just sold a very ordinary 2-bed terrace and am downsizing to a flat (to live in not BTL) and the total for both sale and purchase seems to be around £6K.

HOLA4418

This is purely anecdotal ..at the beginning of the year BTL started to off load big time around my way i thought this is the start for sure the "cheap" ones flew of the shelf then the kite flyers went one buy one buy april`ish i thought WTF i never realy looked again until the other day ...all but the cheap ones 10-20% less than the others for comparable places are back on the market 

I`m guessing either rental cover has made them un mortageable for BTL or the penny has finaly dropped most relisted have small price drops but they are still way off what the cheaper ones were and theres more and more coming to the market 

To me it looks like the vendors are dictating the prices and that reflects the amount of leverage involved ..as theres no continuity in pricing IMO this could get very interesting if you know who don`t step in with a bag of magic beans 

Edit this is S Wales 
Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4419
HOLA4420