House Price Crash Forum

Alok Sharma New Housing Minister

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

His Wikipedia page make him sound a not unreasonable fella. His undergrad degree is in physics with electronics from a Salford uni, so not ppe from Oxford, which is a start. May make him look at the housing market objectively instead of through the prism of politics and entitlement. Maybe.

HOLA444
HOLA445
16 minutes ago, Si1 said:

His Wikipedia page make him sound a not unreasonable fella. His undergrad degree is in physics with electronics from a Salford uni, so not ppe from Oxford, which is a start. May make him look at the housing market objectively instead of through the prism of politics and entitlement. Maybe.

He..can..do..sums!

Blackball him!

HOLA446
57 minutes ago, Si1 said:

His Wikipedia page make him sound a not unreasonable fella. His undergrad degree is in physics with electronics

So he should know a positive feedback loop when he sees one!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
6 minutes ago, Will! said:

So he should know a positive feedback loop when he sees one!

Unlike the neoclassical economists who assert that the economy is more or less perpetually in a state of equilibrium hence dominated completely by negative feedback via the 'law' of supply and demand.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I will give him a pass on the first story (from 2011) where he had some involvement.

..maybe there were some good reasons.

And it's BTL/HTB that really stirs me up.

Second link.  First one only drew my attention to it.

Together with local residents and the Save Calcot Action Group (www.savepincentshill.co.uk & www.savecalcot.co.uk), local Councillors Joe Mooney, Tony Linden and Emma Webster and Alok successfully campaigned from September 2008 to June 2011 to stop developer Blue Living’s plans to build on Pincents Hill.   ......

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

..maybe trust some of them (who have STRd), if it takes down some of their HPI MP 'pals'.  

And maybe if the weight of economic need forces the issue.

HOLA4415

He campaigned against new housing in an area near my parents. Locally popular with the aged boomer nimbys in that part of Reading, but no good for the bigger picture.

Also, he might have a science background but his career since then is the usual finance industry nonsense: "Sharma subsequently qualified as a chartered accountant, training with Deloitte Haskins & Sells in Manchester before moving into corporate finance advisory with Nikko Securities and then Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, where he held senior roles based out of London, Stockholm and Frankfurt. Alok advised corporates and private equity firms on cross border mergers and acquisitions, listings and restructurings"

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Anyone thinking the British governmwent will do anything to cause house prices to collapse are deluded.

These self serving ****s are up to their necks in this and will use OUR money and OUR LIVES to protect THEIR wealth,.

This is exactly what they have been doing and without an external trigger they will not stop.

These people are evil, pure evil.

HOLA4418
14 hours ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

When did a Tory Housing Minister do anything positive?  This is a genuine question, I am keen to understand what they do.  It is not  the Government I am interested in, but Housing Minister specific.

IIRC In the 1980s we built more houses than population (correction or correlation welcomed) so I would say then.

When was the last time a Labour one did anything positive?  I would guess the 70s.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

If he had campaigned for it, he wouldn't be an mp - we get what the majority of the population want.

I agree with your logic, however this development was probably the key issue for a dozen Voters.  The "noise" he created will have been neither here or there. But it is a good indicator where his priority is, and I doubt it is getting houses built.

HOLA4423
7 hours ago, RentingForever said:

He campaigned against new housing in an area near my parents. Locally popular with the aged boomer nimbys in that part of Reading, but no good for the bigger picture.

Also, he might have a science background but his career since then is the usual finance industry nonsense: "Sharma subsequently qualified as a chartered accountant, training with Deloitte Haskins & Sells in Manchester before moving into corporate finance advisory with Nikko Securities and then Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, where he held senior roles based out of London, Stockholm and Frankfurt. Alok advised corporates and private equity firms on cross border mergers and acquisitions, listings and restructurings"

He is Reading West MP, his majority is reduced from 7k to 2.4k. He has a mountain to climb given that Labour gained Reading East from Tories.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, Dyson Fury said:

Alok Sharma has now announced in Parliament that his wife is a private landlord.

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/housing-ministers-wife-is-a-private-landlord-declared-as-interest-by-alok-sharma/

The LL comments on that thread are gold. They're our saviours dontcha know! Providing us with the service we long for.