Memory foam mattress

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yep, that will be the plan. Only one side has padding and the memory foam. The bottom is, well, just the bottom but I am assuming that there is nothing stopping me from doing that if the need arises. It might be uncomfy as feck or it might be another 7 or 8 years of use.

If it has formed a concavity , turning it over will, sooner or later, allow the mattress to sink into said concavity.

My advice for what it's worth: you've come to terms with the error of your ways. Now embrace that mood and rip the frikken stuff out altogether. There's probably a perfectlt serviceable mattress under that cr@p, just waiting to be slept on. Go for it!

HOLA443
6 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

I'very had a Tempur Queen size mattrest for 12 years. It's so big that I can spread the wear,  but it's in good condition. The Base is standard foam, on top of wood -no abrasive springs.

Apparently the density of the foam makes a considerable difference to life expectancy.

We have Tempur mattresses too, they are in pair, adjoined to make a super king bed. We needed this configuration as we got an adjustamatic bed which is great for watching TV, and the 2 halves move independently and give three types of adjustment.

Anyway the mattresses are 8 years old now and have had to put up with the adjustamatic feature and are doing fine.

I think you get what you pay for to a degree, our bed was £5k. I wouldn't expect a £500 bed to last in the same way.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
5 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Oh FFS BB, why oh why did an altogether sensible person like you fall for this tripe?

I have no industry insider experience, but, as The Donald would say, I guarantee that toppers were invented to give that dressed bed feel to show-room mattresses.

Think about it: you've stripped your bed for turning or some such. You are staring at it. Maybe you even feel a little puffed. You've had a hard day at work or whatever. Can you hear that voice in your head calling you from the mattress  that says "lie on me, lie down on me!"?

No.

Why? Because an unmade bed is a stark, cold, unyielding thing.

But that is exactly what was presented to the customer up and down the land in countless show-rooms.

Any mattress manufacturer who could overcome that bare mattress issue would surely gain a competitive advantage. If only there was a way of making an undressed mattress more inviting. More cosy. More yielding.

Enter the 'topper'.

Enter Bossybabe with her readdies.

The rest is history

And now we all end up buying sheets a bed-size up cos the stupid mattresses, which consist of an old ordinary mattress plus a bit of padding, are so artificially thick. It's face-palming stuff.

You've clearly never had arthritis.  Normal double bed with normal double bed sheets. 

Edit to say: Did you get out of the wrong side this morning?

HOLA447

I sleep on a old firm thin foam mattress.  It probably has a 'memory foam' part, but frankly I doubt there has ever been much in the way of memory going on.  It cost peanuts and is still better than most sprung mattresses I've slept on.   I certainly don't suffer from the bad back I used to have when I had a series of expensive sprung mattress.  I find hotel mattresses (like the Premier Inn ones) excessively soft and springy and I end up bouncing myself to sleep*.  

I suppose I should note that I do replace it every five years or so, with another cheap foam thing.  (But not cheap sprung, which are truly dreadful.)

Then again, I clearly should have been a monk, so maybe I'm gravitating towards a horsehair futon.  

*this may or may not be a euphemism

HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

You've clearly never had arthritis.  Normal double bed with normal double bed sheets. 

Edit to say: Did you get out of the wrong side this morning?

arthritis is for whimps.  My dear old Mum has scoliosis and arthritis and helped me form my opinions.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, dgul said:

I sleep on a old firm thin foam mattress.  It probably has a 'memory foam' part, but frankly I doubt there has ever been much in the way of memory going on.  It cost peanuts and is still better than most sprung mattresses I've slept on.   I certainly don't suffer from the bad back I used to have when I had a series of expensive sprung mattress.  I find hotel mattresses (like the Premier Inn ones) excessively soft and springy and I end up bouncing myself to sleep*.  

I suppose I should note that I do replace it every five years or so, with another cheap foam thing.  (But not cheap sprung, which are truly dreadful.)

Then again, I clearly should have been a monk, so maybe I'm gravitating towards a horsehair futon.  

*this may or may not be a euphemism

Aren't we all old enough to have been through several cycles of "Bad back? You need a firm mattress .... Bad back? You need a soft mattress."?

It's all pseudo-medico-marketing clap-trap.

We've had 6000 years of civilization, and as far as I'm aware, rich folk have always found time to sleep. I have to ask myself whether there really is any room left, after all this time, for ground-breaking advances in slumber device design. It doesn't take me an age to reach an answer.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

My mattress has lots of stains that bring back memories.

Curiously, some of my memories cause stains:huh:

HOLA4415
14 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

If it has formed a concavity , turning it over will, sooner or later, allow the mattress to sink into said concavity.

It's a single sided one by the sounds of it. Another amazing marketing ploy by the mattress makers - half the lifespan sold to you as 'non turn' so no need to flip it over. Genius!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, LC1 said:

It's a single sided one by the sounds of it. Another amazing marketing ploy by the mattress makers - half the lifespan sold to you as 'non turn' so no need to flip it over. Genius!

Yup. Incredible how even smart, money-conscious folks like us lot here (well, we hope we are), fall for such blatant guff.

When my dear old Mum showed me her new mattress (the older generation, what are they like? We show them new cars, they show us new mattresses!), I pointed out that the topper was likely to:

- dent;

- make her too hot in summer;

- harbour bacteria and mold;

- make the bed unflippable.

I didn't see the 'sheets no longer tuck in so well' aspect (though I'd have known this the 1st time I made it,  were it mine), but I was right about all the above.

Then there's that other great bed invention: under-bed storage.

Yeah, let's pretend that you can have a sock drawer or towel storage space - for free - right under your bed. Win-win, right? Especially if you are short of space in your boudoir. What could go wrong?

Er, if you have a small bedroom, you are more likely to have a damp and mold problem: your exhaled, moisture-saturated, breath, simply has less space to disperse, and smaller wall surface areas on which to condense and migrate outwards.

Plugging the space under your mattress, in an already over-humid bedroom, is the diametric opposite of what you should be doing.

Next thing, Tracey is wondering why her shoes, stored in her under-bed shoe-rack, have all gone blue with mold. But it's okay: they now match the rest of her wardrobe.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I have a mixed memory foam/spring mattress and off the top of my head I think that may be Slumberland too. I had problems with the 1st one just short of 2 years after purchase. The foam was splitting. Benson's offered an 8 year guarantee and they came out and changed it for a new one but not the same one, a deeper one again, which resulted in purchasing new bedding because of the depth. 

That's now 7 years old and it's running out of memory and staying dipped in places. 

I've got latex pillows and really should have gone with a latex mattress, as someone else on here suggested. I think that's what I'll go for next. 

Having said that, I put 4" blue foam cut to size on my old trailer tent beds, on top of the MDF bases and I used to get the best night sleep all year when we holidayed in that. 

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I have a mixed memory foam/spring mattress and off the top of my head I think that may be Slumberland too. I had problems with the 1st one just short of 2 years after purchase. The foam was splitting. Benson's offered an 8 year guarantee and they came out and changed it for a new one but not the same one, a deeper one again, which resulted in purchasing new bedding because of the depth. 

That's now 7 years old and it's running out of memory and staying dipped in places. 

I've got latex pillows and really should have gone with a latex mattress, as someone else on here suggested. I think that's what I'll go for next. 

Having said that, I put 4" blue foam cut to size on my old trailer tent beds, on top of the MDF bases and I used to get the best night sleep all year when we holidayed in that. 

Thanks. I bought mine via Bensons also but I am going to be about 4 months outside the 8 year - bought in October 2008 IIRC. I imagine they argue the toss more at 8 years as opposed to 2.

HOLA4421
24 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Be careful w/ putting foam on solid board. Dream environment for mold.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Memory-foam mattresses...?

Best snake-oil since the Buy-To-Let mortgages and Samantha Fox's slimming-tea.

The only thing you'll remember is the hundred-quid plus price-tag you paid for this pile of shite.

Sucker...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4424
On 18/01/2017 at 0:19 PM, The Masked Tulip said:

Seems that these strips of foam are designed to get caught up in the springs, slide around and, in some cases, just disppear into the matters leaving you the springs behind.

I bought the vacuum pack version which is solid foam and has no springs at all. Sounds like yours is finished off with foam on the sleeping faces almost like a memory foam topper.

I have found the rolled vacuum packed one fab as I have two crushed discs. The only thing I dont like is that they are hot to sleep on, however I have mitigated this by using a summer quilt all year round.

HOLA4425

We have a fairly decent sprung mattress on our main bed (£1000 ish),  we have a memory foam mattress in the guest room (£130 ish).

Having slept quite a lot on both I can honestly say I'd struggle to choose between them.

I would like to try a latex one.  Not pillows though,  already tried one of those and it was about the most uncomfortable pillow I've ever used.

Archived