House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Memory foam mattress

Anyone experienced this kind of thing?

A chunk of memory foam from my slumberland mattress disppeared this morning. Right by where my hip rests.

Generally, I have not been impressed with memory foam mattresses and now, at about 8 years old, my mattress has two indents where my hips rest at night. I swap the mattess around each month, as I sleep on one side, so that I am trying to even out them attress as I sleep.

Anyhow, I heard a clunk in the night and woke up this morning to find a a bit of the memory foam had disappeared - there was a big indent under the surface material and I could feel the springs. So I wondered WTF had happened to the memory foam. I began pulling on a bit of foam near the hole and gradually I lifted up a chunk of memory foam that fallen down into the mattress.

Turns out that most of these memory foam mattresses do not have a flat single sheet of foam but have the foam laid across the mattress in strips - some, apparently like mine, appear to have smaller squares  of foam conveniently placed at places where you body will rub and move the mattress.

My point being - not impressed. Kinda feels like it was designed for this to happen.

I am half inclined to cut open the mattress and have a good nose around. Was able to resist - for now.  Seems that these strips of foam are designed to get caught up in the springs, slide around and, in some cases, just disppear into the matters leaving you the springs behind.

I use a firm mattress with a memory foam topper. I've noticed recently that the memory foam is splitting in places after only two years with regular turning. Built in obsolescence, I think. At least I won't have to buy a whole mattress. -_-

I've never been convinced by the foam mattress market, there is very little if any craftsmanship. Mass produced rubbish.

I'm sleeping on a 25 year old mattress and it hasn't aged at all, firm and supporting. It's called the herald supreme and they weren't inexpensive back then and by the looks of things aren't cheap today.  Our sprung matrimonial mattress (one I have been evicted from) that hasn't seen hardly ever action needs replacing after 8-9 years - that's a silent night one too.

I'very had a Tempur Queen size mattrest for 12 years. It's so big that I can spread the wear,  but it's in good condition. The Base is standard foam, on top of wood -no abrasive springs.

Apparently the density of the foam makes a considerable difference to life expectancy.

Beds are one of those things where you have to pay for quality, but with a big risk that you won't get what you paid for, especially if you buy crap brands like Silent night.

Traditional manufacturing with quality fillings is the way to go, but so often the lack of these is disguised by meaningless marketing BS. No worthwhile innovation since pocket springs. 

42 minutes ago, Errol said:

How many years are they guaranteed for? Can you get your money back?

Mattresses have the basic consumer warranties of the 12 months. Some advertise things such as 5 year guarantees but they basically send a boy around who argues wear & tear on anything over a few months.

My current mattress , not much over two years old, is not in a good state at all.  I was thinking of buying the Premier Inn bed & mattress and in researching it found this review which was very informative and told you everything that you wanted to know about mattresses.

I am partly posting this so I can find it again when I come to buy my next one.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/premier-inn-mattress-review-alternatives/

2 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

I use a firm mattress with a memory foam topper. I've noticed recently that the memory foam is splitting in places after only two years with regular turning. Built in obsolescence, I think. At least I won't have to buy a whole mattress. -_-

Oh FFS BB, why oh why did an altogether sensible person like you fall for this tripe?

I have no industry insider experience, but, as The Donald would say, I guarantee that toppers were invented to give that dressed bed feel to show-room mattresses.

Think about it: you've stripped your bed for turning or some such. You are staring at it. Maybe you even feel a little puffed. You've had a hard day at work or whatever. Can you hear that voice in your head calling you from the mattress  that says "lie on me, lie down on me!"?

No.

Why? Because an unmade bed is a stark, cold, unyielding thing.

But that is exactly what was presented to the customer up and down the land in countless show-rooms.

Any mattress manufacturer who could overcome that bare mattress issue would surely gain a competitive advantage. If only there was a way of making an undressed mattress more inviting. More cosy. More yielding.

Enter the 'topper'.

Enter Bossybabe with her readdies.

The rest is history

And now we all end up buying sheets a bed-size up cos the stupid mattresses, which consist of an old ordinary mattress plus a bit of padding, are so artificially thick. It's face-palming stuff.

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My current mattress , not much over two years old, is not in a good state at all.  I was thinking of buying the Premier Inn bed & mattress and in researching it found this review which was very informative and told you everything that you wanted to know about mattresses.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/premier-inn-mattress-review-alternatives/

Good resource, that site. Makes you realise how dodgy most mattress retailers are.

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Alternatively, you could just try reading it the next time your current mattress is keeping you awake.

Did the trick for me even, as I was, perched on a kitchen stool: result!

8 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Alternatively, you could just try reading it the next time your current mattress is keeping you awake.

Did the trick for me even, as I was, perched on a kitchen stool: result!

They do love their mattresses!

But it did bring home how my buying strategy of laying on a few and picking the comfiest was not the A1 best approach.

Might be speaking for myself here, but ... memory foam? Hypnos bed? Pocket spring count? G/m^2? Are we kidding?

Give me a couple ' more years, a warm room and masters snooker and I'll conk-out on a washing line before you can say Ronnie O'Sullivan to break.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They do love their mattresses!

But it did bring home how my buying strategy of laying on a few and picking the comfiest was not the A1 best approach.

Granted, and if I had any manners I'd have concentrated on that rather than making a cheap joke. But there, I'm cheap. And a joke. So nobody was disappointed!

2 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

turn it over?

Yep, that will be the plan. Only one side has padding and the memory foam. The bottom is, well, just the bottom but I am assuming that there is nothing stopping me from doing that if the need arises. It might be uncomfy as feck or it might be another 7 or 8 years of use.

I would not buy a memory foam one again. I toyed between this one and an ordinary sprung one in the shop but, as memory foam was all the trend at the time, I went with the crowd.

I see hotukdeals has the occasional big discounts on mattresses via Amazon - worth knowing folks.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hmmm, not so sure about that one. Hypnos must be doing something good - John Lewis sell them, under their own name and heavy bed user like Premier Inn use them to attract customers to thousands of rooms - don't think either of those two companies would have wool pulled over their eyes.

Somebody with their SEO head on would look at Premier Inn advertising their beds and make sure that there was a favourable comparison of their own beds on their site plus a good smattering of brand names to get hits to their site rather than the intended one!

Can recommend the John Ryan Artisan Naturals, we have one and it is great. However, we also have an IKEA mattress around the 200 price point and it is also pretty good. 25 year guarantee too, although quite how you go about successfully claiming on it after a decade or two is anyone's guess.

Just avoid the big retail park names, they are almost universally garbage.

22 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Can recommend the John Ryan Artisan Naturals, we have one and it is great. However, we also have an IKEA mattress around the 200 price point and it is also pretty good. 25 year guarantee too, although quite how you go about successfully claiming on it after a decade or two is anyone's guess.

Just avoid the big retail park names, they are almost universally garbage.

The 25 year guarantee probably has loads of loop-holes - i.e. never sleeping on it :D