House Price Crash Forum

M25 And Traffic Generally

Ash4781

HOLA441

I've given up listening to traffic reports on the radio because I understand they are so long these days they just prioritise the very bad delays. Just looking at the traffic M25 map a good portion is not moving to slow. Looks like a busy day on there!

Actually looking out across the UK looks like a bad day to be on the roads :(

http://www.trafficengland.com/

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I think I would prefer all motorway driving to be done by computer, it will happen one day, probably 20 years off.

Would be a lot more efficient, hardly any braking etc. Does anyone actually like driving on a motorway?

HOLA445

I prefer to have someone else to do the driving. Preferably a train driver.

I think we've had this convo before - but I've noticed a massive increase in traffic levels recently. Both on local roads and on the occasional long trip that I do on a regular basis.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I prefer to have someone else to do the driving. Preferably a train driver.

I think we've had this convo before - but I've noticed a massive increase in traffic levels recently. Both on local roads and on the occasional long trip that I do on a regular basis.

It's because the economy is so healthy!

HOLA448

I think I would prefer all motorway driving to be done by computer, it will happen one day, probably 20 years off.

Would be a lot more efficient, hardly any braking etc. Does anyone actually like driving on a motorway?

And then the computers used to ensure this can also be used to bill you per mike, on top og all the other taxes. Lovely new renenue scheme

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I support more toll roads. Keeps down pollution and congestion, and they really ought to ring fence the money raised for road improvements.

HOLA4412

In the early 2000s my dads commute on the M25 was about 35mins

He worked shifts from 7am to 7pm and then nights 7pm to 7am

He once got a promotion to work a 9-5 job but asked to go back to shifts due to the massive increase in time being stuck in rush hour traffic meaning it wasnt worth the money

Now in 2016 it often takes close to 90mins for him to get to and from work even though its not in 'rush hour'

Working nights is the worst - leave work at 7am and get home sometimes at 9:30am, only to have to get up again at 5pm to make sure he gets to work on time.

The commute time has tripled in the last 10 years

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've been commuting weekly, from the top of Northants, to Somerset for six years. So, A14, M6, M42, and M5. 160 miles one way. The traffic now, is way worse than when I started. Gets worse every year.

It's probably my car! I know your journey very well. I live in Somerset, and my dad is in Northamptonshire!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I support more toll roads. Keeps down pollution and congestion, and they really ought to ring fence the money raised for road improvements.

It doesn't work that way. In the Algarve, the en125 used to be a horrendously slow and dangerous road. Think one major crash per day on a 100 mile track. So when they got the Euro football money they built a shiny new motorway which reduced some journey times by up to 60%

They then decided to charge tolls. About 1 euro per three junctions. The motorway is now virtually unused and the en125 is back to gridlock. Motorway is lovely if you are one of the 1% that can afford to use it though.

HOLA4419

It doesn't work that way. In the Algarve, the en125 used to be a horrendously slow and dangerous road. Think one rest per day on a 100 mile track. So when they got the Eoro football money they built a shiny new motorway which reduced some journey time by up to 60%

They then decided to charge tolls. About 1 euro per three junctions. The motorway is now virtually unused and the en125 is back to gridlock. Motorway is lovely if you are one of the 1% that can afford to use it though.

I don't think 60p for three junctions requires you to be in the mythical 1%. If it gave a clear M25, it'd be a bargain.

That said, tolling should really be done on a GPS system rather than per road - then all miles can be billed. This prevents the rat running you've described and overall you get a polluter pays based disincentive to drive.

Privatisation of motoring is the way to go.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That said, tolling should really be done on a GPS system rather than per road - then all miles can be billed. This prevents the rat running you've described and overall you get a polluter pays based disincentive to drive.

That's the wet dream of surveillance and big government fanatics, track you wherever you drive and tax you for it, even when your smartphone is switched off (or even if you don't have one).

What made you become one of them?

HOLA4423

It has got busier the last couple of years but it had gone really quiet about eight years ago when fuel prices shot up. As they've fallen back people are driving more so traffic has returned to the levels of the early 2000s.

Fuel going up will cut it back again as people start thinking twice about discretionary journeys.

HOLA4424

It has got busier the last couple of years but it had gone really quiet about eight years ago when fuel prices shot up. As they've fallen back people are driving more so traffic has returned to the levels of the early 2000s.

Fuel going up will cut it back again as people start thinking twice about discretionary journeys.

You are partially right there. I think people drive places when they don't have to and don't measure the cost. Except when they fill up.

HOLA4425

Archived