House Price Crash Forum

Uninstall Windows 10

roger196

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Have just installed windows 10 which unbelievably is worse than windows 8. Can someone tell me how to uninstall.

Thanks

Actually I am glad someone posted this question as it just so happens I am about to buy myself (online) a new laptop - but which comes with Windows10 installed.

IF, as I suspect, I don't end up liking it I will want to go back to Windows7 64-bit.

I remember looking at Windows8 and hated it. I vowed that if all subsequent Windows versions would be similar (or worse) in style I would switch to using a LInux variant.

What I am anticipating/wont surprise me to see is that unistalling it and replacing with an older version of Windows may not be straightforward - as it once used to be.

So, yes please, someone advise.

HOLA444

You can't buy Windows 7 now AFAIK. You might get an old stock OEM pack off EBay, Amazon or similar

HOLA445
HOLA446

Is it possible to buy a laptop with Linux installed? I know Dell used to sell them but they seemed to have stopped (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

Just make a partition and run Linux

that way you have both os available just in case you need to use an application only available in windoze

HOLA447
HOLA448

Do a factory reset, and as long as you haven't deleted the original pre-Win 10 OS partition, it should revert back to the original.

Yup. Just done that to a machine at work.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

You can buy Dell business laptops with 7 still.

If you upgrade too Windows 10 you can degrade back to your previous OS within, I think, 30 days. But it might not work.

If you buy a machine with Win 10 already installed you have to format and then install a new OS. You can buy 7 licence keys from play asia for between £13 and £20. It is a coin toss apparently. Some people say the keys are not legit. I have bought some and they work fine.

HOLA4413

Yep, the hard work is adjusting to Windows 8. 10 is a doddle by comparison.

Went from xp to 8.1 and the change wasn't half as bad as expected (and I hate change).

What surprises me is features I've used since early versions of windows still work.

My vbscripts still work.

Using Alt Gr and a key will bring up any application with a shortcut on the desktop. Been using that since windows 3.1.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I've got a Win7 DVD, so no problem on that front.

As long as you have a key. And you will probably have to hunt for some drivers.

HOLA4417

I tried to upgrade this week from Windows 7 Pro but after hours of downloading and doing its thing, it failed to install. Repeated, but failed on the restart giving me a scary screen. For a moment thought my machine knackered!

Laptop bought second hand, has legit serial with no installation disc (Win 7 pretty solid), so happy that hitting enter rebooted as it was. Must be gigabytes of W10 crap on it now!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

As Oliver Sutton said it's fine. I was already on w8 and it seems the same to me. I'm not a programmer so do very little with the OS and am pleased that it will have at least ten years of support.

It only annoyed me once when it said shutting down in ten minutes. I assumed there would be a postpone option but no, it just shut down then spent ages doing various upgrades that I couldn't interrupt. Only happened the once on each machine.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

With Win 10 you MUST accept the upgrades.

Fine.

Unlike the game that I have to play on my phone where the many pre-installed google apps that I neither want nor use steadily upgrade themselves to reduce my limited storage to an unusable level whereupon I revert them back to their factory versions. And then they start steadily upgrading again. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: and they cannot be deleted.

HOLA4423

Fine.

Unlike the game that I have to play on my phone where the many pre-installed google apps that I neither want nor use steadily upgrade themselves to reduce my limited storage to an unusable level whereupon I revert them back to their factory versions. And then they start steadily upgrading again. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: and they cannot be deleted.

If you talking about Android, they won't update automatically. Just turn that option off, and manually update the ones you actually use every couple of weeks.

HOLA4424

I guess we all know tomorrow is the last day for downloading. Just to remind you,

you get a like for like. So if you have Windows 7 home you get Windows 10 home. Lots of really useful roles & features are missing on this version.

HOLA4425

Windows 10 isn't so bad but there are two things that I dislike, one is the sheer amount of useless crap "Store Apps" they pre-install and the other is the telemetry data collection aspect. They are really trying to push their failing store efforts to the detriment of the end user experience.

Archived