House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Given the GFA sensitivities there is a good argument for Stormont to have a say/veto on the deal.

Unfortunately Sinn Fein are repressing the reformation of the assembly, so who would vote on it? The Northern Ireland Secretary?

I’m swinging back in favour of EFTA...

As Stormont effectively doesn't exist, then Eire should get the vote.

HOLA442
HOLA443
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

That may be. As I’m sure you know the concept is to remove reliance on a foreign power’s system (eg USA’s GPS). Also gives redundancy. Though I’m sure in a total war satellites would get neutralised very rapidly...

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-space-race-on-as-theresa-may-launches-92m-satellite-project-to-rival-eus-galileo-11484603

Sounds as if we're getting our own...

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
33 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Unless proved otherwise, I see no bad loss in Galileo...It was to provide the UK govt a giant leap towards road charging & having the potential to being able to track every car.  Whether any replacement system will have the same capability is yet to be seen.

We are still a signed up customer for Galileo and will eventually be given full access and contract to supply components (just not as a prime contractor with privileged access to the control system). 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 hours ago, Exiled Canadian said:

I think that rejoining will require us to join the Eurozone and won't have the rebate.

It's very easy for new EU countries not to join the eurozone even though they are formally obliged, they just have to intentionally fail to meet one of the criteria for joining the eurozone. Sweden has no opt-out from the euro but they have stayed out just by never applying to join ERM II which is one of the criteria for eurozone membership. Most of the larger newer EU countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary etc) have stayed out of the euro in pretty much the same way.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
34 minutes ago, onlooker said:

I was under the impression Galileo is dependent on UK technology and UK territory receiving stations. Will it work without these?

About 15% of it is...third countries cannot assist in developing security systems, or aspects of encryption.  Galileo uses bases in the Ascension Islands & the Falklands.  AFAIK, the EU seem to be not too worried about losing these.

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Given the GFA sensitivities there is a good argument for Stormont to have a say/veto on the deal.

Unfortunately Sinn Fein are repressing the reformation of the assembly, so who would vote on it? The Northern Ireland Secretary?

I’m swinging back in favour of EFTA...

No there isn't.   The unionists and nationalists already have an effective veto via Ireland and the DUP.   All this is is about is kicking the can down the road.  I mean, lets say we leave the SM and CU.  That means a hard border has to go up.  It just does.   Now Stormont goes and VETO's it, what then?  All May will have done via this proposal is kicked the can down the road two years for when she will no longer be in power, and created an almighty cluster****** for whoever was in charge then on both the EU and UK sides.

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

It is, but third countries cannot assist in developing security systems, or aspects of encryption.  Galileo uses bases in the Ascension Islands & the Falklands.  AFAIK, the EU seem to be not too worried about losing these.

But it's only the military spec/encryption that's to be barred from us, right? The car tracking stuff would be available to the govt.

I saw civilian kit five years back that can assign a ref to thousands of moving objects over a square kilometre, down to pedestrians, then track them simultaneously. They're already tracking our cars.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

But it's only the military spec/encryption that's to be barred from us, right? The car tracking stuff would be available to the govt.

I saw civilian kit five years back that can assign a ref to thousands of moving objects over a square kilometre, down to pedestrians, then track them simultaneously. They're already tracking our cars.

The commercial sector could use Galileo for road charging...However, non-member states can't use PRS (for traffic enforcement, etc). https://www.gsa.europa.eu/security/prs

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Lurkerbelow said:

And she is still trying it on.   More ******ing can kicking so she can save her job -

May's plan to give Stormont a backstop veto enrages EU envoys

EU diplomats have accused Theresa May of trying to delay resolution of the Irish border problem until after Brexit day by insisting upon Stormont having a final veto before any “backstop” solution can come into force.

Senior diplomats involved in the negotiations have reacted furiously to the details of a fresh UK proposal for avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland, briefed to the Irish PM, Leo Varadkar, at last week’s Salzburg summit.

Under the solution, May will agree to Northern Ireland potentially staying, in effect, in the single market, as the rest of the UK exits after the transition period, should there be no other way to avoid a hard border at the time.

However, crucially, the UK is insisting that the Northern Ireland assembly, known as Stormont, would have to vote in support of this move before it came into force.

I love it, a Tory PM effectively saying an empty building (which, if in use would be half full of people who want to secede from the UK) must have the final say over the UK's future relationship with its largest trading partner. Could the Tory party please put May out of her misery? Ta.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4423
56 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I thought it was £3bn?

There was a claim we could do it for £3bn but I doubt it. Just another attempt to show the EU we don't need them like the supposed project to build a 5th Gen fighter, £150m to build a model plane.

31 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

About 15% of it is...third countries cannot assist in developing security systems, or aspects of encryption.  Galileo uses bases in the Ascension Islands & the Falklands.  AFAIK, the EU seem to be not too worried about losing these.

I wonder who own the IPR for the work already done.

If we remain a customer I expect we would come to a deal on the ground stations, presumably we would be getting paid for providing/manning?/guarding them

HOLA4424
24 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Many high end cars are already in constant touch with base. If you have emergency assist they are tracking you, and if you are very naughty the police can request the data. 

HOLA4425
Just now, Confusion of VIs said:

Many high end cars are already in constant touch with base. If you have emergency assist they are tracking you, and if you are very naughty the police can request the data. 

If you buy a car with tracking, and you accept that its part and parcel of the car, you can chose to buy the car or not..With road charging, you couldn't escape it..