House Price Crash Forum

The Official Brexit - Remain Thread - All New Threads Will Be Merged Into This One

spyguy

HOLA441
Guest TheBlueCat

Is it normal for a person accused of murder to be in court in 2 days after the crime? This fella is also appearing at the Old Bailey on Monday.

I know its a different country but how come Pistorious and OJ took so long to go to court?

Totally normal where there were witnesses. I would assume, after they arrested him, there would have been an identity parade carried out and likely there would have been blood on his clothes to test and cordite residue on his hands. Put all of that together and charges can an do follow quickly.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest TheBlueCat

So, does anyone know of someone who's changed their voting intention as a result of this heinous crime? By someone I mean a member of the great unwashed rather than the HPC intelligentsia of course.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

mumsnet has a few who are changing sides as a result - but their cohort is representative of 'hand-wringing'

Sadly their tribe is also large, I fear the worst.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I think anyone who has switched from leave to remain as a result of this is the kind of person who probably would have had a wobble and switched once they got in the voting booth anyway. My feeling is that whatever the next poll results show (I'm not entirely convinced by that Qriously one) will be closer to the actual result that we will get. If anything I think this incident is more likely to cement existing views that influence changed ones.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No reason why the referendum should be cancelled, so the petition will be ignored. I'm sure you could get a petition with an equal number of signatures insisting the poll go ahead. Totally pointless.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So, does anyone know of someone who's changed their voting intention as a result of this heinous crime? By someone I mean a member of the great unwashed rather than the HPC intelligentsia of course.

I think the issue is more momentum based. Leave was beginning to look like it had Remain on the ropes, going for the knock-out punch; a lot of that success was nailing the Remain side on immigration. I suspect they could be more cautious now on that key issue. Either way, a few polls come in start of next week showing dip in Brexit support then it might just begin to deflate. I really hope not by the way, I just have lost faith that ordinary people can beat the establishment.

HOLA4414

Peter North of EU Referendum

http://peterjnorth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/an-atmosphere-of-contempt.html

Brilliant post and summary of the contempt modern politicians have of those they represent. Section on late MP particularly telling.

Indeed it is a brilliant post - whether you vote Remain or Leave, you will agree with his closing statement :-

What we can take from this is that whatever happens on Thursday is that this is not a happy country and a remain verdict will not be the end of it. About half the country will vote to leave. Some voting to remain will do so out of fear. Whatever the result, there is no mandate for the European Union. Until we resolve this question, British politics is going to get very ugly indeed.

HOLA4415
At the current rate of increase the campaign looks set to hit 100,000 signatures before polling day on Thursday – a bar which would normally trigger a debate in parliament.
However, the petition will almost certainly fall on deaf ears as MPs have broken for recess so they can campaign in the referendum – and will be unable to hold a debate.
Though Parliament is being recalled next week in order to give MPs the opportunity to pay tribute to Ms Cox, it is highly unlikely that the petitions committee will consider the petition in time for the EU referendum.
The petitioners argue that Britain is a parliamentary democracy and that parliament, rather than a national plebiscite, should determine whether Britain stays in the EU.

there is an e-petition to get the referendum cancelled because of Jo Cox being killed

Is this a last ditch attempt to avert a 'leave' success?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That's not true, the site says - "At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament"

If it does reach 100,000 signature which for one I wouldn't find credible and they then rush it through before Thursday and then cancel the referendum, the London riots will look like a walk in the park.

If that petition can get to 100,000 it will HAVE to be mentioned in parliament.

Edited by warpig

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425