House Price Crash Forum

The £ Is Dropping

AC44

HOLA441

Again I am not at all convinced that money printing did/does keep things ticking. Banking yes. Rest of economy? Seriously doubt it.

It keeps the plates spinning for the time being - if the government hadn't monetised about 1/3 of the national debt, spent it into the economy and repressed interest rates to near zero in the process do you think the ride would have been as nice (relatively speaking) in the wake of the 2007/8 crash?

Now of course it won't work in the longer term, it'll make things worse, but what politician (or average pleb) thinks in the longer term? It's all about kicking the can down the line.

In the meantime they have no choice but to continue with those policies because if they should stop, the whole dodgy edifice would come crashing down very shortly afterwards.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

wow..

1.40 vs $

Iv just paid for a container and got $1.399 ,lucky id paid for half of it already as a deposit at $1.53.Put the cost up of the goods by 8% (shipping priced in $ as well).In 30 days.

We need higher interest rates soon, but cant have them due to houses/mortgages.A lot of my competition carry a lot of fixed costs/debt and should go under.However they can borrow so cheaply and survive a while longer.The zombie economy.

HOLA443

Iv just paid for a container and got $1.399 ,lucky id paid for half of it already as a deposit at $1.53.Put the cost up of the goods by 8% (shipping priced in $ as well).In 30 days.

We need higher interest rates soon, but cant have them due to houses/mortgages.A lot of my competition carry a lot of fixed costs/debt and should go under.However they can borrow so cheaply and survive a while longer.The zombie economy.

I would guess that borrowing to buy houses is probably one of the largest sources of private credit creation in the UK economy. Higher interest rates and lower sales prices (hence less credit borrowed into existence) would pose a serious threat to the wider consumer economy. Not to mention the effect on the balance sheets of the banks as their assets plummet in value and lenders default.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm shocked all those shouting the £ was crashing v $ are now silent. Shocked I tell ya.

Actually it was hope and the support was quite clear. 1.48 seems likely, perhaps 1.50s. But £ IS toast. Just not immediately.

HOLA449

What do you guys think about the pound to Euro. I have a 120,000 payment to make in euros. I bought £50,000 at 1.35 euros. I now need to buy the remainder. Was gutting to see the pound dive so fast against the Euro. Sentiment may be turning but for how long, I hope we have a bit of a bull run and I can buy again at 1.35

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

What do you guys think about the pound to Euro. I have a 120,000 payment to make in euros. I bought £50,000 at 1.35 euros. I now need to buy the remainder. Was gutting to see the pound dive so fast against the Euro. Sentiment may be turning but for how long, I hope we have a bit of a bull run and I can buy again at 1.35

I'm only looking to buy the Euro for traveling and wish I'd grabbed some at 1.42 (ain't hindsight great).

Depends if Draghi announces something new before March or the expectations build compared to Carney's chin wagging guidance then the Euro could fall a little. If/when and by how much is a gamble. This news might have caused the move from 1.30 to 1.32 just recently (apparently).

Mario Draghi hints at further ECB stimulus moves 21 January 2016

European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi has said the bank will "review and possibly reconsider" monetary policy at its next meeting in March.

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore

HOLA4414

The recent surge back was pretty strong. It was the recent ecb comments regarding no new QE measures that sent the euro up. So with talk of more qe on the way it should hopefully make a bit of a come back. Personally I think the Euro is always going to be highly volitile at the moment. So many possible bankrupt countries looking for bail outs. It's saving grace is its relatively new reserve currency status. If oil goes up again, investors may come out of euros and ride the wave up. Oil could be a good investment soon.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The recent surge back was pretty strong. It was the recent ecb comments regarding no new QE measures that sent the euro up. So with talk of more qe on the way it should hopefully make a bit of a come back. Personally I think the Euro is always going to be highly volitile at the moment. So many possible bankrupt countries looking for bail outs. It's saving grace is its relatively new reserve currency status. If oil goes up again, investors may come out of euros and ride the wave up. Oil could be a good investment soon.

Not sure. On aggregate, the EU is not too bad. The countries doing bad are small and insignificant.

The UK looks terrible no matter which way you look or measure,

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425