House Price Crash Forum

Retail Sales Way Down For Pre Christmas Surge After A Huge Black Friday

HOLA441

I think they call it going back to basics......Christmas has become a marketing tool that encourages consumption when it is the thought that counts.......£10 charity charity shop/ pre loved/recycling for us.......the excess of it all in comparison to what others have is all rather sickening....... Anyway I always thought the children preferred playing with the box the toy came in....you are not judged in love by the size of the gift or the amount spent, being there is what matters.

HOLA442

Anecdote. Went to see the new star wars film Thursday morning, gave blood in the afternoon. in the hour or so between took a wander around manc city centre, not astonishingly busy, most people seemed to just be window shopping / buying small low cost items. Not many people with shopping bags

HOLA443

Anecdote. Went to see the new star wars film Thursday morning, gave blood in the afternoon. in the hour or so between took a wander around manc city centre, not astonishingly busy, most people seemed to just be window shopping / buying small low cost items. Not many people with shopping bags

Had a ouch around town yesterday. It was busy like Saturdays used to be busy 10 years ago.

But hardly rammed.

Mainly OAPs who still on insist on shopping on a fcking Saturday FFS.

HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/20/christmas-shoppers-sales-bargains-retailers-slash-prices

Christmas shoppers grab last-minute bargains as nervous retailers slash prices

“I’m surprised by how quiet it is. It’s even a lot quieter than it is in summer. I’ve enjoyed shopping today,” said Gavin Hodges,

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA446

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3368424/Retailers-continues-slash-prices-attract-Christmas-shoppers-Disappointing-sales-high-street-lead-countless-bargains-analysts-say-online-demand-risen-20-2015.html

Retailers continue to slash prices to attract Christmas shoppers: Disappointing sales on the high street lead to countless bargains as analysts say online demand has risen by 20% in 2015

Aren't the high street shops, online ?

HOLA447
HOLA448

Amazon can also usually deliver to a nearby post office or collection point, which is very handy.

For all the criticism that their overvalued share price, tax dodging practices and treatment of warehouse staff attracts - they actually deliver a brilliant online shopping experience.

"online shopping experience"

"online shopping experience"

Yes, ****** the country it doesn't need taxes, ****** paying decent wages, the peasants need to go back to the plantation so the rest can enjoy an online shopping experience

HOLA449

They only need a couple of customers to buy something and that's a few grand through the till.

Someone spending £1000 on lancome make up is not unheard of... :blink:

No. I think this is indicative of a larger problem. That is namely that even the rich are moving out of London, as the upper-higher priced luxury areas are no longer seen as value for money by the very people that have historically inhabited them.

Kensington is know for having multi million pound apartments which are overwhelmingly empty (known by observing No of illuminated apartments after sundown as a %).

As a result, the usual clientèle of Kensington is no longer around. In a way, foreign investors are killing the Kensington High St.

HOLA4410

No. I think this is indicative of a larger problem. That is namely that even the rich are moving out of London, as the upper-higher priced luxury areas are no longer seen as value for money by the very people that have historically inhabited them.

Kensington is know for having multi million pound apartments which are overwhelmingly empty (known by observing No of illuminated apartments after sundown as a %).

As a result, the usual clientèle of Kensington is no longer around. In a way, foreign investors are killing the Kensington High St.

More reading on: http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/the-ghost-town-of-the-super-rich-kensington-and-chelseas-buy-to-leave-phenomenon-9207306.html

!!Beware The Evening Standard is known for having a heavy left slant!!!

HOLA4411

Worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Did similar on Saturday. Newly opened mall nearby was quiet. People in shops. Very few buying. I reckon they are waiting for January sales. Not many people want to pay 50 for a t-shirt or 170 for a pair of shoes when they'll be half price in 3 weeks.imho

HOLA4414

When out today lots of shoppers, few bags and not much stock out in shops.

tbh it is boy who cried wolf. Media have hyped it up but tthey'll be ok. although local Tesco had 99.9p lite unleaded and was still dead in there. after a quick shop I remember why I don't normally shop there!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Lancaster on Saturday was busy, but nowhere near the levels I expected. It has a notoriously gummed-up one way system, but even that was flowing freely at the weekend. I even mentioned to the OH that the shops must be suffering, footfall looked clearly down on what I've seen in the past.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422