House Price Crash Forum

Retail Sales Way Down For Pre Christmas Surge After A Huge Black Friday

HOLA441

I work for a large online retailer, black Friday was huge for us. But since then sales have just not picked up, they are way down on this time last year and the week before Christmas usually has a big surge. It hasn't materialized this year and with Monday being the cut off for standard delivery its looking like the Xmas surge just won't happen.

Anyone else work in retailing?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I work for a large online retailer, black Friday was huge for us. But since then sales have just not picked up, they are way down on this time last year and the week before Christmas usually has a big surge. It hasn't materialized this year and with Monday being the cut off for standard delivery its looking like the Xmas surge just won't happen.

Anyone else work in retailing?

I have my own online business,had good month on Amazon at smaller margins,Ebay dead,webbie quiet.Fine for me but its a good job i dont employ anyone.Looking at prices of a lot of things people are selling at break even at the gross level.These are people with staff,buildings etc.I think a lot are desperate for cash flow and selling at net losses.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I have my own online business,had good month on Amazon at smaller margins,Ebay dead,webbie quiet.Fine for me but its a good job i dont employ anyone.Looking at prices of a lot of things people are selling at break even at the gross level.These are people with staff,buildings etc.I think a lot are desperate for cash flow and selling at net losses.

Not surprised at eBay. I have stopped buying from there and have been buying more on Amazon. I had a problem with a parcel that I never received and the seller, ebay and PayPal all refused to give me back my £6 because the seller had proof of postage.

Amazon are great with free next day prime delivery, very easy returns process (they even collect from your office for free!).

HOLA447

i order lots of ebay but i order nothing in december. The reason being is that i am work in the day and if it gets delivered i have to got to post office to pick it up in saturday and there is massive que there because its christmas. I really cant be bothered with that.

Amazon seem to deliver when your in which is great.

I have asked several my work mates and when they have been in shopping last few weeks its been quiet.

HOLA448
HOLA449

i order lots of ebay but i order nothing in december. The reason being is that i am work in the day and if it gets delivered i have to got to post office to pick it up in saturday and there is massive que there because its christmas. I really cant be bothered with that.

Amazon seem to deliver when your in which is great.

I have asked several my work mates and when they have been in shopping last few weeks its been quiet.

Amazon can also usually deliver to a nearby post office or collection point, which is very handy.

For all the criticism that their overvalued share price, tax dodging practices and treatment of warehouse staff attracts - they actually deliver a brilliant online shopping experience.

HOLA4410

Amazon can also usually deliver to a nearby post office or collection point, which is very handy.

For all the criticism that their overvalued share price, tax dodging practices and treatment of warehouse staff attracts - they actually deliver a brilliant online shopping experience.

Unfortunately for the sellers, Amazon make even Ebay look reasonable. At least with Ebay you can break even on the postage even if they do take 10%. Amazon take a HUGE fee when you are selling and their postage rates do not come close to covering the cost.

HOLA4411

The figures in the US and here are showing about 10% down in total, I believe.

I hope so. Hopefully a lot of people are waking up like many posters on HPC, I think that the expectation is that the population is spending money on new clothes for attending parties at venues, buying prepacked food for entertaining guests at home, splashing out on gifts and buying extravagant treats for christmas in the home etc. And don't forget that we're bombarded with advertisements to get that new sofa and carpet etc to make christmas even better.. Even better, according to all the hard sell, why not have a new car to throw in to make it all fantastic. Just a few weeks ago a local estate agent was banging on about there still being time to get moved to your perfect home for christmas.

For many years I've viewed christmas day and the run up as just normal days. Years ago when my kids were about 12 after some discussion I convinced them to not have presents on christmas day but just have cash and then wait for the January sales to get more for their money.

You don't have to wait till january now to get discounts but personally I would still wait until january going by the pre christmas discounts.I've seen.

What next in January?....get your easter eggs early when they're on offer to have a great time!

Madness.

HOLA4412

Interesting thread and echoes what I'm seeing - my company does retail tracking in the UK online, so have quite a lot of insight into this if anyone wants more data. Really quite worrying for retailers, particularly if Boxing Day/sales don't pick up.

Can do some overlays on the previous years if you want, definitely down this year on last by a long way.

HOLA4413

wasn't this to be expected with black Friday events ? eg. lots consumers with poor cashflow management may have spent too much in November so are waiting for Dec/ Jan payslips.

also I expect leisure will do well inc restaurants. I suspect a fair few people will be going to watch star wars which does leave less time for shopping!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Unfortunately for the sellers, Amazon make even Ebay look reasonable. At least with Ebay you can break even on the postage even if they do take 10%. Amazon take a HUGE fee when you are selling and their postage rates do not come close to covering the cost.

I sold something on ebay last month, using a second chance offer as the first witch didn't want to come and collect the item. Anyway they charged me two lots of fees - second invoice arrived today. They have sorted it out very quickly, but it's still just shown that selling on ebay is more hassle than it's worth. He offered to explain how to avoid it happening again and I just said it was unlikely I'd ever sell again on ebay.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I think in general people have more disposible cash than they used to so during the year so if you want something you just go get it. By the time chrismas comes round it's a struggle to find a list of stuff you want and haven't just gone out and bought already.

I think for those that do not want or need more stuff or will appreciate more stuff....cash and food will do better this year......stuff needs a place to put it.:)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I had an hour to spare in Covent Garden area in London on a Thursday night recently ( I go into London about twice a year).

I walked up and down little lanes I've never seen before and saw lots of premium brand retailers which were completely empty apart from bored staff talking to each other.

If this is indicative of the high end so called super rich of London then there are worrying times ahead for all of us

HOLA4423

I had an hour to spare in Covent Garden area in London on a Thursday night recently ( I go into London about twice a year).

I walked up and down little lanes I've never seen before and saw lots of premium brand retailers which were completely empty apart from bored staff talking to each other.

If this is indicative of the high end so called super rich of London then there are worrying times ahead for all of us

They only need a couple of customers to buy something and that's a few grand through the till.

Someone spending £1000 on lancome make up is not unheard of... :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Secret santa is very popular in our family now that we've 4 grandkids that we'd rather splurge on than my brothers and their wives.

Went from spending £50 on each person to £10 on a little jokey thing and just enjoying the day a bit more.

Nothing to do with money as we're all quite well off but it's just common sense!