House Price Crash Forum

Forth Road Bridge Closed Until The New Year

CyberNat

HOLA441

This has nothing to do with the new bridge being ready in case anyone is interested. Its just a random very unexpected problem that has somehow appeared from nowhere. How that happens - I do not know. I wonder how often these inspections are that found this issue ?

Must be a really serious safety and structural concern to close it completely. Its going to be huge for people moving around Scotland.

Not necessarily, everything's so risk adverse these days some minor condition with an outside chance of causing structural failure if winds hit 200mph would be enough.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I heard it on the news this morning. It will cause a major inconvenience, but not to me as I don't live anywhere near it. Actually the Severn bridges are full of cracks too. I don't know when the crack is serious enough to warrant shutting a bridge.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I heard it on the news this morning. It will cause a major inconvenience, but not to me as I don't live anywhere near it. Actually the Severn bridges are full of cracks too. I don't know when the crack is serious enough to warrant shutting a bridge.

I believe all the big suspension bridges are in trouble. Something to do with the strands breaking in the suspension cables. Wasnt there restrictions on the Forth RB just now anyway. There was even talk of putting a ferry on for HGVs at one point, until the new one is finished.

Went across the Forth on the train few days back. The new bridge looks good. But the rail one is a stunning piece of work.

HOLA4411

They should get a ferry up and running, subsidise it to get people using it and out of their cars, buses from all over Fife to the Fife terminal and one free single ticket included to get you a bus from Granton or wherever into Edinburgh.

23kxe7d.jpg

19105ec.jpg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Albert_Bridge_notice.JPG

That sign is redundant now they have closed Chelsea Barracks... This was just down the road on the Northern bank of the Thames. The bridge was popular taking troops to the park (Battersee) to exercise.

Marching troops (all being in step) used to start the bridge swinging..

HOLA4417

Ferry - I think I remember seeing the old ferry piers the last time I went over the bridge, so hopefully getting a temporary one running shouldn't be too hard (if there's a ferry available from somewhere).

As for the new bridge, I'd say fair play to getting it going when they did, I don't remember that much of a delay between concerns being raised about the existing bridge and work starting on a new one.

Doesn't look particularly low-density to me, with a small town.

This issue ahs nothing to do with the ongonig reason for building a new bridge. As others have stated - thats the cable issue. This is something else.

Does anyone know what happens when they finally decide to dismantle it - how the ****** do they go about doing that ? In fact - has a suspension bridge that large ever actually been dismantled before ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

This issue ahs nothing to do with the ongonig reason for building a new bridge. As others have stated - thats the cable issue. This is something else.

Does anyone know what happens when they finally decide to dismantle it - how the ****** do they go about doing that ? In fact - has a suspension bridge that large ever actually been dismantled before ?

The way they built it, but in reverse. Start stripping it from the middle and work back towards the shore.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

That one sunny hour back in August must have been enough to cause the steel to contract and crack.

Have ISIL claimed repsonsibility yet? Real reason a terror threat over Christmas?

Apparently it was global warming.

HOLA4424

That one sunny hour back in August must have been enough to cause the steel to contract and crack.

Have ISIL claimed repsonsibility yet? Real reason a terror threat over Christmas?

:D

I heard it differently, apparently there was a day in September where it didn't rain all day and the bridge couldn't cope with drying out.

HOLA4425

Next to the 10,000 people of Barton on Humber and the surrounding countryside, you must live on Salisbury plain or an equivalent.

Derbyshire actually, edge of the Peak District, and it would be nicer here with fewer too (it's mostly the sprawl heading into Manchester although everywhere else has its sprawl of modern houses that are at least as big as anything older significantly changing the atmosphere). Anyway local density is affected by whatever is in a much bigger area than can be seen in that picture. About the only part of England that I've spent much time in that doesn't feel over-dense is Cumbria. Best for Scotland if they let the bridge fall down to stop any flood north into their nice empty bit (although the bit between England and Edingburgh is mostly nice too).

Archived