House Price Crash Forum

Forth Road Bridge Closed Until The New Year

CyberNat

HOLA441
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

That'll be quite a big diversion, if it's a third of the way between the Forth and the Severn.

Ha ha! I like the bizarre thinking! Are you Armando Ianucchi? :blink:;)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

This has nothing to do with the new bridge being ready in case anyone is interested. Its just a random very unexpected problem that has somehow appeared from nowhere. How that happens - I do not know. I wonder how often these inspections are that found this issue ?

Must be a really serious safety and structural concern to close it completely. Its going to be huge for people moving around Scotland.

You bu*gers are OK, you get another bridge. TPTB learned nothing when our mainline railway washed out to sea just under two years ago, so we stand to be cut off for months again next time it happens. :( :angry:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Does anyone know what happens when they finally decide to dismantle it - how the ****** do they go about doing that ? In fact - has a suspension bridge that large ever actually been dismantled before ?

Tell the loons in the Commons that IS have been spotted on the bridge and it'll be bombed to smithereens before you can say "and the nays to the left..."

HOLA4410

You bu*gers are OK, you get another bridge. TPTB learned nothing when our mainline railway washed out to sea just under two years ago, so we stand to be cut off for months again next time it happens. :( :angry:

The journey from Plymouth to Exeter on the train is a sheer delight that I have enjoyed for decades; if that run along the estuaries and coast goes to be replaced by some bleak exposed crawl alongside Dartmoor then I'm blaming you.

HOLA4411

The journey from Plymouth to Exeter on the train is a sheer delight that I have enjoyed for decades; if that run along the estuaries and coast goes to be replaced by some bleak exposed crawl alongside Dartmoor then I'm blaming you.

Ditto. I've had enough of people screwing things up out of practicality and economic obsession. It ain't making the world a better place to live in but people are so unable to cope these days when the odd thing goes wrong. "Cut off for months again the next time it happens" - well, it's happened that badly once in well over a century (I know there have been a few smaller incidents too).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

OK, will some kindly jock help out a befuddled sassenach? I can't keep count of this story. Is it firth, forth, or fife? It's knocked me for six.

The river the bridge crosses is called the The Firth of Forth. Everybody up here tends to just call it the Forth though.

Fife is the greatest county in all the world with such treasures as Methil, High Valleyfield, Cowdenbeath, Ballingry, Kirkcaldy and not to forget the glorious Kelty! (Also, St Andrews, North Queensferry, Anstruther, Dunfermline and my hometown of Kincardine).

HOLA4414

Just to better explain why the bridge closing is such a big deal, here is a map of the diversion that people need to take if they want to travel from Fife to Edinburgh and vice versa. The green line is the now closed route over the bridge. The red line is the diversion:

Capture.jpg
30,000 cars use the bridge in each direction every day.

HOLA4415

Just to better explain why the bridge closing is such a big deal, here is a map of the diversion that people need to take if they want to travel from Fife to Edinburgh and vice versa. The green line is the now closed route over the bridge. The red line is the diversion:

Yeah, we've got some situations like that. It's a tortuous way round if they close the Tamar Bridge.

News said it's not completely closed: they still allow emergency ambulances. So what about bikes? Could this be an incentive for Edinbug commuters to get on their bikes? Shame it happened in the season of maximum gloom.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yeah, we've got some situations like that. It's a tortuous way round if they close the Tamar Bridge.

News said it's not completely closed: they still allow emergency ambulances. So what about bikes? Could this be an incentive for Edinbug commuters to get on their bikes? Shame it happened in the season of maximum gloom.

The word on the local cycling forum is "no".

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived