House Price Crash Forum

We Are Facing Another Global Financial Crisis Of Epic Proportions

suntory

HOLA441

Google finance seems to have the full set of data...

It's probably of little general significance? but there seems to be a difference of about 5 points between the Google chart and the Yahoo chart at about 14.43 BST and about 16.18 BST around the 5900 (resistance) level. One has the chart readings then at about 5905 and the other on 5900. Apart from that straight line bit of the chart remarked on earlier the rest of the two charts seem to more or less correlate as far as can be seen on a quick check.

I suppose the true level at those points would matter to a trader buying/selling the market at those two points in time.

Why the difference just at those points (apart from the straight line bit as well).

People are spoilt for choice - they have the choice of at least 3 different chart profiles for yesterday's Ftse.

Edited by billybong

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Expert on LBC is saying this is good for home owners as it will stop boe raising interest rates...

Surely mortgage rates are based on the money supply rather than boe?

Well if there are job losses to come because of this, low interest rates won't matter. Very few with high mortgages prepare for rainy day.

HOLA444

Well if there are job losses to come because of this, low interest rates won't matter. Very few with high mortgages prepare for rainy day.

Machinery/electrical products, road vehicles, and metals, are the 3 big China exporting sectors in the UK. The poster child of British "economic success" JLR (and their UK supply chain) are going to be hit big time by this one as China is their biggest market. The Chinese goverment will probably also encourage people to by 100% Chinese cars like the Land Wind (see below) as opposed to 50/50 Euro-Chinese cars.

LandWind-X7.jpg

^ This clone car sold for £14,000, probably even cheaper now with the devaluation.

Government's let's all export to China predictions ain't gonna come true (even the worst case scenario ones might not) https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211157/UK_Exports_to_China_-_Now_and_in_the_future.pdf

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Zugzwang, you are the man. I think you are spot on with your observations.

Another commentator alerted me to the possibility that today might have actually played into the rate hiking narrative (the amount of second and triple guessing is crazy):

* China tanks

* in the face of all this happening, gold, bonds and all that barely moved (manipulated obviously but just trying to make a point here)

* US stays resilient in spite of China tanking

* we need to return to financial stability and that includes normalization of rates

* rate hike in September

Perhaps there is also some back deal going on with China. One thing I know for sure, the Chinese would not stand idly by once again if US devalues because they have got a shit load in US Treasuries.

Zugzwang, keep this sort of analysis coming. I think you are on to something here.

There may not be a choice. The Chinese government holds a lot of treasuries. If they decide to sell the Fed would have a heck of a time preventing a rates increase. TBills being dumped and the Fed printing to keep rates down doesn't paint a rosy picture.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

FTSE looks like it is rallying. Surprising given what happened to China yesterday. The disconnect between western markets and reality continues.

Don't think it's surprising ,it had fallen for 10 days straight which is v unusual for an index. On short term measures it was oversold and due a bounce at some point, doesn't mean the general trend will change. But no market goes up or down in completely straight lines (except Chinese unemployment or the Bernie madoff index ?)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Its annoying all these people saying its good news when it rallies. Its not that straightforward.

Absolutely - news outlets seem to treat each day in total isolation - so if a stock drops 5% one day, it's doom and gloom. Then it retraces back 2% and it's like that asset/stock is "sorted". It's like the day before never happened - in fact, the days and weeks and months before never happened - trends don't exist to these people, just individual days. Terrible "analysis".

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Absolutely - news outlets seem to treat each day in total isolation - so if a stock drops 5% one day, it's doom and gloom. Then it retraces back 2% and it's like that asset/stock is "sorted". It's like the day before never happened - in fact, the days and weeks and months before never happened - trends don't exist to these people, just individual days. Terrible "analysis".

It's their job....they are salesmen effectively ( IMHO ) , they want to attract advertisers/investment, they have a message to put out.

Maybe someone pays them to tell londers to buy over-priced houses and invest in shares ?

HOLA4416

So here I am with my life savings, £135K, in the bank. This is the first time since the banks were bailed out a few years ago that I'm genuinely worried.

What to do. The sensible answer is probably to buy an overpriced house - since here in Northern Ireland they're overpriced but not as overpriced as other parts of the world. But I resent having to spend a decades worth of savings to own half of a mediocre house.

It's all quite confusing. I also have about £130K, am renting, and can get a mortgage of about £450K based on my salary. Was just about to put an offer in for a ~£500K house in Edinburgh but since reading a few threads on this site, plus the real possibility that there will be a 2008-style crash unfolding the next few months, I think I'll sit tight for a few more months.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Taken some healthy profits this morning but there's no reason to believe the direction of the stock market has changed, or that the central planners can fabricate a v-shaped turnaround a la 2014.

Down, down and down, baby.

8-24-15-commodity-prices.png

Indeed, it was from quite some height that the cat was thrown down, so a violent bounce... there is still some wiggle room in US stocks, up to 100 points maximum though in S&P, ideal repellent at 1950-1960 lvl.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

A great time to be a day trader - you can make a few hundred or a few thousand quid riding the waves. But the time doesn't last forever - maybe a couple of weeks.

Remember this guy in 2008?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMwMsY0ndo

One thing I remember with day trading in the 2008 crash, is that you don't have a trade open at weekend or even overnight. One FED announcement, and bang the market goes the other way.

Edited by 200p