House Price Crash Forum

19 Year Old Doesn't Understand How Much Data A Mobile Phone Uses!

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173217/NHS-worker-19-hit-mobile-phone-bill-21-819-returning-home-family-holiday-Turkey.html

NHS worker, 19, is hit by mobile phone bill for £21,819 after returning home from family holiday in Turkey
  • Shannon Mills paid £120 to enjoy plentiful 30MB data limit on summer trip
  • However, a few days in and her O2 bill had surged to more than £4,000
  • Despite then turning her phone off, cost rose to £21,819 over two weeks
  • Network provider O2 now investigating what happened - having said they recently simplified roaming charges
  • A hospital health care assistant returned home from a family holiday to a staggering £21,819 mobile phone bill.

Shannon Mills was given the massive shock after coming back from Turkey to the mammoth demand from network provider, O2.

The 19-year-old said she contacted her supplier prior to the trip to see what deals they had and opted to pay £120 for 30 megabytes of data.

Clearly no idea how much data using facebook etc.. uses. However I love the fact that she thought £120 for 30mb of data was reasonable and affordable and coming back to a £300 bill was reasonable. Clearly the young have been brainwashed into believing tiny numbers are irrelevant.

However 02 clearly should stop bills from becoming this large and put caps in place.

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173217/NHS-worker-19-hit-mobile-phone-bill-21-819-returning-home-family-holiday-Turkey.html

Clearly no idea how much data using facebook etc.. uses. However I love the fact that she thought £120 for 30mb of data was reasonable and affordable and coming back to a £300 bill was reasonable. Clearly the young have been brainwashed into believing tiny numbers are irrelevant.

However 02 clearly should stop bills from becoming this large and put caps in place.

Doesn't look like it was her fault from the story.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

why bother going on holiday if you are going to be plugged in all the time. Might as well stay at home and plug in.

A good point! I go on holiday by watching exotic destinations on the internet. Saves all that airport hassle.

HOLA4410

Fixed for you

...and they make their money by confusing their customer and purposely withholding information that they know would enable them to save money, hoping and wishing they will waste their money by passing it foolishly into their laps/pay packets/dividends.....says the same for many targeted, for profit organisations/corporations......

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And ignored the warning texts?

I think you have to go on the reasonable use basis. There are only two kinds of users who are going to run up a bill like that knowingly. The first is corporate. The second is someone extremely wealthy. Even in these cases the people that would run up these sorts of bills knowingly are vanishingly small, small enough for the phone company to filter for them.

It does appear that something was not quite right with the warning system, which is why they reduced the bill to a mere 3K. Hard to tell in these rage inducing stories what really went on.

The real issue actually isn't these massive bills, but the intermediate ones that have probably been run up by thousands of people totalling several hundred quid by accident.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The other possibility is that she setup the phone as a wifi hotspot to run an iPad and then forgot about it, so on holiday the whole hotel could have been leaching her (expensive) bandwidth.

As for the usage caps, the foreign telcos can take a few days to pass the billing info through to the UK, so by the time they turn off the connection its already way over the limit.

HOLA4416

The other possibility is that she setup the phone as a wifi hotspot to run an iPad and then forgot about it, so on holiday the whole hotel could have been leaching her (expensive) bandwidth.

As for the usage caps, the foreign telcos can take a few days to pass the billing info through to the UK, so by the time they turn off the connection its already way over the limit.

Makes sense.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

O2 charge £4 mb for data inside the EU

Just been to Ireland and didnt switch off my data/roaming for most of the first day.

When i had a look at my usage i had used 11mb just having my phone on, all that came from my apps auto updating i think.

So £40 extra next month for nothing its a complete rip off.

What happens to people who aren't tech savvy and spend 2 weeks in florida or Goa with their smartphone they just upgraded too i dread to think!

HOLA4422

30MB is barely once Facebook page these days, isn't it?

Actually, I think even satellite data is less then four pounds a megabyte now.

Edit: yeah, looks like about $5 a megabyte.

HOLA4423

I'm a computer programmer, and I develop Android applications in my spare time. I very rarely enable data on my Smartphone, because I'm worried about how "chatty" some applications might be, and how verbose and inefficient some network protocols can be. And that's before I start worrying about viruses.

Am I just paranoid?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Tip for all PAYG people...as you are aware in foreign climes you pay to make and receive calls so there may be a time when you need to top up overseas......one company it is free to top up so not a problem, another company it could be very expensive.... Check before you leave.

Archived