HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest eight

Posthumourous.

That's vastly funnier than anything Lenny Henry's ever done during his entire sorry fifty-six years on this planet.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest eight

He was good on Tiswas.

Yeah you're right. Definitely worth a knighthood, thirty five years later.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Never thought the guy was funny, but you can't deny his talent has improved with age (acting, presenting ability etc rather than getting the laughs).

However, lets be honest, Lenny Henry pandered to a mostly racist 1970's audience for years. A part in a black & white minstrel show, stereotypes, and condescending black characters amoungst his early CV.

That was the only reason for his success and "fame".

As I previously said though, the guy has worked hard over the years and probably rightly deserves the accolade.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Actually a Knighthood sounds a big big even for an entertainer.

All these honours seem to disproportionately be awarded to actors and civil servants.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It just about sums up everything doesn't it?

Everybody knows that he's not funny, but we have all been educated to 'know' that he is funny so let's all give a massive laugh while basking in collective group thought.

That warm feeling you can only get by pi$$ing yourself, just before you die.

HOLA4420

To play devil's advocate here, I like the man and his style of comedy- there's a place for it. He's never been a confrontational comedy hero in the style of, say, Bill Hicks or George Carlin, and he's not an edgy black comedian like Reginald Hunter (who I really enjoy, and from whom I was too shy to ask for an autograph when I saw him in Streatham Sainsburys Local).

But whenever you see LH subtly taking the piss out of his Windward generation parents I think he does everyone a service by pointing out that we've all got silly ideas but all got a lot in common at the same time. He probably doesn't deserve a knighthood for it but I'd rather they gave him one than bankers, politicians, arms dealers etc.

HOLA4421

I think he might make a better actor than comedian.

I am not convinced that he is "not at all funny" which seem to be the meme here. :blink:. Actually saw him live twice. Not a dud act.

Let's see if Tony Blair gets one too? :blink:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Lenny Henry is/was the non-offensive family comedian. Averagely ok I guess if you like that kind of gentle humour.

Not quite sure what makes him more honour worthy than, say, Ric Mayall or John Cleese though.

HOLA4424

Lenny Henry is/was the non-offensive family comedian. Averagely ok I guess if you like that kind of gentle humour.

Not quite sure what makes him more honour worthy than, say, Ric Mayall or John Cleese though.

Are you really not quite sure or don't dare say?

HOLA4425

He does a lot of charity work. In fact like Sir Bob, or (until recently) Sir Jimmy, he's probably more famous for charity fundraising than his original media talent.

Archived