House Price Crash Forum

Where To Emmigrate To In 10 Years Time

iamnumerate

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

My daughter is 7 which language should I get her to learn so she move to a first world country where housing is affordable?

Italian? German?

We have friends whose daughter is married to an Italian and has lived there for over ten years. The couple have two children and have recently moved to Ireland to live with her parents (mother is Irish) and start a small business, since things are so bad in Italy.

HOLA446

Damn right, today's generation seriously should be looking to emigrate, short of a reset of the boomer's Ponzi.

Meanwhile, any boomer thinking of emigrating should think again. An unfunded state NHS/ retirement Ponzi scheme and a system that allows each departing soul to have run up a quarter of a million pounds worth of debt in unfunded welfare to paid for by future generations, and no inheritance tax pay back. Bloody win, win I would have thought....while it lasts naturally.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA447

Housing isn't particularly cheap in Germany, plus it's in the middle of a massive boom, I expect in 10 years prices will be amongst the most expensive in Europe, similar to other northern European countries like Copenhagen.

It's probably more important to learn an in demand "professional/advanced" skill than a language. I tend to watch "immigration" programs. Emigrating to places like Germny or Ireland with everyday, but in demand skills, like being a carer, you seem to end up in no horse towns in the middle of nowhere and have a pretty miserable alienated life.

HOLA448

My daughter is 7 which language should I get her to learn so she move to a first world country where housing is affordable?

Italian? German?

I moved to Barcelona 6 months ago from London. For the price of a 2 bed flat in London, I'm renting a 5 bed house with views of the Med, a shared pool, and a garden the size of a tennis court. I'm lucky - I've kept my London job. But Easyjet and airbnb comes out cheaper than a season ticket from the Midlands.

The economy here is struggling, but the prospects are promising. The infrastructure is outstanding, the workforce skilled, and resources abundant. There is serious reform of the political structure underway - a big crackdown on corruption, some eye-watering prison sentences being handed down. If they pull it off, this country could be a powerhouse in 10 years.

My daughter is also 7.

HOLA449

The main foreign language choices used to be German, French then Italian and Spanish and that covered a lot countries all over the world (probably most) both for work and pleasure.

Then there's esperanto but one doesn't hear so much about that now.

There are so many countries on the up/down it's a bit of pot luck which one will be best language for a job/housing in say 10 years or so. Germany and for technical jobs and apparently extending its influence over europe - or at least trying to and having some success in it? Housing is still relatively cheap compared to UK/London and its economy isn't dependent on massive debt/high house prices. Chinese? Russian?

The link below is a rough guide to relative house prices in different places. Who knows in a few years time.

http://

www.globalpropertyguide.com/most-expensive-cities

(link posted by LuckyOne on an earlier thread)

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I live just outside Carcassonne and commute Mon-Thurs. Services over here the best you'll find in the world, public space is cracking, as are sports facilities and libraries (Mediatheques). Health system much better and quicker than in the UK. Rent a room in the UK and fly in and out of Toulouse. Skiing is an hour away, 40 mins to the med. Sunshine all year round, rent is £550 a month for 5 bed with pool. Looking at houses in the area and can see many 4-6 beds with pool and land (we want a couple of hectares) for around €300-350k but with the market, offers 25-30% are being taken.

Sold up in the UK for silly money. Education is more or less free as well.

Edit:

Kids already fairly fluent in French and Study Spanish too. Would advise learning a niche skill rather than languages as if you're in demand, language isn't a barrier. I work in a niche market area and have been given contracts all over europe and the world in my lifetime with no issues over language.

Edited by Hairy1305

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Learning Mandarin or Spanish or both gives the widest choice in places to go. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

But are they good places to go to? Also surely the relevant thing is number of countries. Lots of people speak Russian but not many countries is it useful to live there (and many of those will probably switch to English as second language over time).

So Russian is less useful than French despite more people speaking it.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4419

On a side note, your daughter is not going to want to move country with you at 17 years old and leave here friends behind.

Even if she does decide to leave with you, then it's going to be difficult settling into a new country, making new friends speaking a foreign language.

The best time to move would be now, 10 years time is too late IMO.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Housing isn't particularly cheap in Germany, plus it's in the middle of a massive boom, I expect in 10 years prices will be amongst the most expensive in Europe, similar to other northern European countries like Copenhagen.

It's probably more important to learn an in demand "professional/advanced" skill than a language. I tend to watch "immigration" programs. Emigrating to places like Germny or Ireland with everyday, but in demand skills, like being a carer, you seem to end up in no horse towns in the middle of nowhere and have a pretty miserable alienated life.

There is more demand for carers in cities though, surely?

HOLA4422

But are they good places to go to? Also surely the relevant thing is number of countries. Lots of people speak Russian but not many countries is it useful to live there (and many of those will probably switch to English as second language over time).

So Russian is less useful than French despite more people speaking it.

Places to go does not mean places to go for life, no going back........unless there is a war or utter chaos in a country most countries can offer a good standard of living, no country is risk free......the key is to work for a company that has contacts in other parts of the world, your company then forms part of your security if that is the fear.......you will never find out until you try.......whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right. ;)

HOLA4423

What skills do you recommend learning?

HOLA4424

Erm... One thing that people haven't pointed out is that it doesnt really matter which language it is specifically.

It's about learning HOW to learn a language.

Once you learn to appreciate how sentences are constructed in your own language, that's when learning another one becomes easier.

I'd go for Spanish since the actual words aren't all that different from their English equivalent but she will learn enough about different language structures

HOLA4425

I live just outside Carcassonne and commute Mon-Thurs. Services over here the best you'll find in the world, public space is cracking, as are sports facilities and libraries (Mediatheques). Health system much better and quicker than in the UK. Rent a room in the UK and fly in and out of Toulouse. Skiing is an hour away, 40 mins to the med. Sunshine all year round, rent is £550 a month for 5 bed with pool. Looking at houses in the area and can see many 4-6 beds with pool and land (we want a couple of hectares) for around €300-350k but with the market, offers 25-30% are being taken.

Sold up in the UK for silly money. Education is more or less free as well.

Edit:

Kids already fairly fluent in French and Study Spanish too. Would advise learning a niche skill rather than languages as if you're in demand, language isn't a barrier. I work in a niche market area and have been given contracts all over europe and the world in my lifetime with no issues over language.

Can you give more detail? Is it in IT and is it learnable by someone of average intelligence?