House Price Crash Forum

Mayor Admits House Price Should Fall 30%

HOLA441

I was at the People's Question Time last night in Haringey. An interesting event for sure, and the anger about affordable housing was widespread. It seemed the biggest concern of almost everyone in the audience.

At one point bojo admitted that house prices needed to fall 30%,but swiftly added that we can't let that happen as the impact on the economy would be cataclysmic. Apparently his only option is to build and let wages increase. Labour assembly members pushed their long term renting agenda.

Any government ignoring housing is going to be booted out if last night's audience is anything to go by...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I was at the People's Question Time last night in Haringey. An interesting event for sure, and the anger about affordable housing was widespread. It seemed the biggest concern of almost everyone in the audience.

At one point bojo admitted that house prices needed to fall 30%,but swiftly added that we can't let that happen as the impact on the economy would be cataclysmic. Apparently his only option is to build and let wages increase. Labour assembly members pushed their long term renting agenda.

Any government ignoring housing is going to be booted out if last night's audience is anything to go by...

Wow!

Was this recorded?

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA443

I doubt a 30% fall would be 'cataclysmic'. Might be for whoever was in power though.

Illogical to say prices need to fall 30% and the result would be appalling for the economy IMO.

Edited by RentierParadisio

HOLA444
HOLA445

I doubt a 30% fall would be 'cataclysmic'. Might be for whoever was in power though.

Illogical to say prices need to fall 30% and the result would be appalling for the economy IMO.

Thus cataclysmic....

I'm afraid I disagree.

http://www.aworldtowin.net/reviews/FearfulRiseMarkets.html

authersGDPgrowth.jpg

If this chart is accurate then house price falls are going to have a major impact on the economy, this chart is from the US economy.

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA446
HOLA447

Of course, this is nothing new. Both the Conservatives and the LibDems (Cameron, Osborne and Cable) were highlighting Labour's housing bubble, prior to the last election, then they got into power and decided that their best chance of re-election was to pump it up some more.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA448

Of course, this is nothing new. Both the Conservatives and the LibDems (Cameron, Osborne and Cable) were highlighting Labour's housing bubble, prior to the last election, then they got into power and decided that their best chance of re-election was to pump it up some more.

Sad to say but seems to have worked

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

...If this chart is accurate then house price falls are going to have a major impact on the economy, this chart is from the US economy.

It's just a distributional and how-you-measure-stuff thing. Government is a transfer mechanism, for better or worse, so one persons greater MEW opportunity is another's greater debt. Higher credit 'growth', higher unearned profits and lower disposable earned incomes vs. lower credit growth, lower unearned profits and higher disposable earned incomes. Longer term lower land and property costs mean better opportunities and more investment elsewhere.

We know this, BJ knows this. But anyone who's a net beneficiary obviously likes it the way it is, and with an election soon will say anything to placate a crowd.

HOLA4413

It's just a distributional and how-you-measure-stuff thing. Government is a transfer mechanism, for better or worse, so one persons greater MEW opportunity is another's greater debt. Higher credit 'growth', higher unearned profits and lower disposable earned incomes vs. lower credit growth, lower unearned profits and higher disposable earned incomes. Longer term lower land and property costs mean better opportunities and more investment elsewhere.

We know this, BJ knows this. But anyone who's a net beneficiary obviously likes it the way it is, and with an election soon will say anything to placate a crowd.

But why bother to make anything, or invest elsewhere, when the economy is based on selling houses to each other for ever increasing sums?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think a fall of 30% would be bad for the economy as a lot of people would be put into negative equity.

Sadly prices staying where they are is also bad as people are priced out. Sadly 18 years of new and blue Labour have not been good for us.

On the plus side we have nicer TVs and mobile phones now!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

But why bother to make anything, or invest elsewhere, when the economy is based on selling houses to each other for ever increasing sums?

You're close but you've got it a bit wrong. Our 6% current account deficit shows that our economy is built on selling houses to each other at ever increasing sums AND exporting them i.e. selling them to foreign people/institutions also at ever increasing sums (in GBP).

HOLA4420

I think a fall of 30% would be bad for the economy as a lot of people would be put into negative equity.

Sadly prices staying where they are is also bad as people are priced out. Sadly 18 years of new and blue Labour have not been good for us.

On the plus side we have nicer TVs and mobile phones now!

"Blue Labour" :lol:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Could somebody please explain what actually happens when demand > supply and prices are 30% lower?

The process........what happens next......

Ta.

Disgruntled baby boomers say it's a disgrace and get very annoyed