House Price Crash Forum

Inconsequential Things That Please Me Mildly

Steppenpig

HOLA441
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Always happy to help with table manners and the like.

I usually rely on XYY to show me how to be a gentleman. And talk proper to hens like.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

When we were last in Amsterdam we were next to a street called something like "Rozekeetsgracht" which means "Red Parakeet Street", I think.You hear them first, then look up and there they all are in the tree. I have seen them in London before, but never this close. That yaffling squawking noise is so distinctive.We normally do get bramblings at this time of the year but nothing as yet. Mind you we have a sparrowhawk doing the rounds here so the garden hasn't had so many small birds around lately. Did see the first firecrest in years yesterday which makes up for it a little.Edit: The canal is called Zoutkeetsgrachthttp://amsterdamian.com/see/living-beings/wild-parakeets-living-in-amsterdam/sam_5252r.jpg

Lovely photo! I have tried a few times to get shots of them in our cherry tree when it's in bloom and there's a lovely blue sky, but they've never been half as good as that. I didn't know they had them in Holland, too.

We live close to Richmond Park and there are masses of them there. In autumn the beech trees are full of them, squawking as they gobble up the beech nuts. Shortly before sunset they take off in small flocks, apparently for a mass roosting place in Esher, though why they waste all that energy flying several miles, especially in winter, I do not know. We have just once seen a baby parakeet poking its head out of a nest in a hole in a tree, and the parent coming to feed it.

HOLA447
HOLA448

There's a hairdressers near me called Stasi. I'm assuming that it's named after the proprietress and her name is a quirky spelling of Stacey. Clearly her parents were unaware of the dreaded East German secret police. Always makes me smile.

21456479.jpg

HOLA449
HOLA4410
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

playing a game with old mates where you can reference a joke from 25 years ago with one word any everyone cracks up....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Private or public joke?

(A public one would derive from something everyone knows. Like when an HPC thread segues into Four Yorkshiremen).

private joke. single word.

can't tell you it, as it's very dirty.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Today, having some spare time in the afternoon, just going down to the sea and listening to the waves.

Something similar needs to be part of everyday life, I really wish people would stop being in such a hurry and wanting everything faster and go more in that direction.

Sunny day yesterday and stopped tidying stuff up in the garden to just put my feet up outside with a cup of tea to watch the odd boat go by,

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425

Archived