House Price Crash Forum

Starving Fed Up With Baked Beans

SarahBell

HOLA441

What's the white stuff?

The Melt Challenge sandwich contains 13 different cheeses, including American, cheddar, provolone, blue, feta, gouda, pepper jack and others. The Lakewood location was at capacity as people who were there at the time of the taping came back to relive the event.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Delayed gratification is only worthwhile when there's a payoff

This is logical

A lot of wealthy individuals never quite shake off the delayed bit. They do have the security of money, probably a nice house, but it's hard to shake off the thrift bit. Know loads of retired people that go into retirement with large investment portfolios that just end up with monster portfolios and continue to live the beans on toast lifestyle. Can't change the habits of a lifetime. Guess the next generation will sort the spending it bit.

HOLA443
HOLA444

The wealthiest person I know (millionaire plus) lives in a largely unheated house, wearing charity shop clothes and family heirlooms and eating simple food like baked beans on toast, meat and two veg etc.

Baked beans aren't all that good for you really - aren't they laden with sugar and salt? I find kidney beans nicer, with rice and grated cheese on top.

Lentils or yellow split peas are also incredibly cheap and nutritious, though I would imagine most foodbank customers would probably think it was meant for budgerigars or something.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There is something special about hot baked beans on butter on toast.

Plus an egg on top.

I believe, whilst I don't have a link to such a claim, beans on toast are indeed a very nutritional meal, as you say.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Nor me. I confess that my favourite is beans on toast with a good shake of malt vinegar on top.

Are you pregnant? Women get strange cravings for garlic chips and custard on toast with lime pickle, and rhubarb with cockles covered in "hundreds and thousands"!

HOLA4410

Baked Beans are a good source of fibre and calcium. Wheat plays havoc with me but I love a nice simple meal of baked beans on toast or poached egg on toast.

Sainsbury's own brand are probably the tastiest IMPO.

Your having a laugh aren't you?

Plain beans are GOOD for you ...its the other sh*t in the tin that's BAD, Its loaded with Sugar & Salt AND I thought most folks knew that... :rolleyes:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The wealthiest person I know (millionaire plus) lives in a largely unheated house, wearing charity shop clothes and family heirlooms and eating simple food like baked beans on toast, meat and two veg etc.

Baked beans aren't all that good for you really - aren't they laden with sugar and salt? I find kidney beans nicer, with rice and grated cheese on top.

Lentils or yellow split peas are also incredibly cheap and nutritious, though I would imagine most foodbank customers would probably think it was meant for budgerigars or something.

So true, wealth is a default position borne out of years of accruing surpluses; in my experience it has some but not a lot of bearing on income.

Wealthy people are good at putting off spending, poor people are very bad at it and are inherently wasteful with their spending.

Trouble is the 7 figure portfolio just becomes something to look at in retirement crouched over a one bar 1960s electric fire. A leopard can't change its spots.

I've got a friend (well more a friend of my partner actually) who lives in an unheated one bed starter home, gets his food from supermarket skips (gets frequent warnings of police involvement) but has an investment portfolio approaching the million.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So true, wealth is a default position borne out of years of accruing surpluses; in my experience it has some but not a lot of bearing on income.

Wealthy people are good at putting off spending, poor people are very bad at it and are inherently wasteful with their spending.

Trouble is the 7 figure portfolio just becomes something to look at in retirement crouched over a one bar 1960s electric fire. A leopard can't change its spots.

I've got a friend (well more a friend of my partner actually) who lives in an unheated one bed starter home, gets his food from supermarket skips (gets frequent warnings of police involvement) but has an investment portfolio approaching the million.

Wealth is a default position held by anyone who worked in the public sector from about the year 2000 or who was born before 1970

HOLA4417

Alas, and you know this full well, good habits do not make you wealthy.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Alas, and you know this full well, good habits do not make you wealthy.

It's bad in excess and I see the irony, it's being going on for centuries, Dickens had a lot to say about the subject with Scrooge and his bowl of gruel..........oh dear my breakfast of choice too :blink: . Malky McKay seems to have gotten himself in trouble for putting a racial spin on it too.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Not necessarily. The person I know is, as far as I know, happy and fulfilled - drives to little b&bs and friends' places in the country in an old banger (16 years old and failed its MOT last time lol), likes family and cultural pursuits, is active in the church and does a lot for charities etc. Not all frugalistas are scrooges.

HOLA4423

Not necessarily. The person I know is, as far as I know, happy and fulfilled - drives to little b&bs and friends' places in the country in an old banger (16 years old and failed its MOT last time lol), likes family and cultural pursuits, is active in the church and does a lot for charities etc. Not all frugalistas are scrooges.

Yep the Scrooge thing was a bit tongue in cheek. If you get little pleasure from stuff but enjoy other cultural pursuits then the money will come by default, not because you wanted to look at it. Tbf a lot of wealthy widows are also the biggest givers to charity, they just have no desire to spend money on themselves.

HOLA4424

I have a bit od a food phobia about baked beans, but I still actually find them delicious, so I can only eat them a few times a year and the rest of the time have to avoid thinking about them.

It's something to do with the shiny artificialness of the sauce; I can eat home made beans and tinned tomatoes as much as I want.

Also good: toasted muffin + butter + poached egg + melted cheese + slice of ham

HOLA4425

People who are visiting a food bank are in no position to want variety.

Beans are absolutely fine. Very healthy. You can eat them at least 4-5 times a week with no issues.

Well.....there may be some gaseous emission issues? but that's half the fun isn't it?

Archived