House Price Crash Forum

Massive Queues Overnight For Iphone6

200p

HOLA441

Basic psychology, status = fashion/wealth/designer logo/largest House/etc, etc, etc. Makes you more attractive to opposite sex, so the higher your status the more women you can attract. Simples init.

People have been using objects/clothes/fashion to signal status for thousands of years. It's not all just about attracting women, some of it is about power and control. The fact that people are now using mobiles to do this is no big deal and some people need to get over it.

There is also the issue (I know probably difficult for some to come to terms with) that some people like fashion items not because they signal status, but because they admire them as objects (like art) and maybe the functionality they offer. A parallel example might be a vintage car. These can be expensive, but people often buy because they like the object itself and the engineering that has gone into it and admire it for what it is. They don't care what other people think about them and that's not a motivation for purchase.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

People have been using objects/clothes/fashion to signal status for thousands of years. It's not all just about attracting women, some of it is about power and control. The fact that people are now using mobiles to do this is no big deal and some people need to get over it.

There is also the issue (I know probably difficult for some to come to terms with) that some people like fashion items not because they signal status, but because they admire them as objects (like art) and maybe the functionality they offer. A parallel example might be a vintage car. These can be expensive, but people often buy because they like the object itself and the engineering that has gone into it and admire it for what it is. They don't care what other people think about them and that's not a motivation for purchase.

yeah, but, people dont queue up to buy the latest vintage car...they research, they will know the duff models, they will know the great ones.

Apple fanboys enjoy none of this...its Apple so I want it.

strange.

HOLA443

yeah, but, people dont queue up to buy the latest vintage car...they research, they will know the duff models, they will know the great ones.

Apple fanboys enjoy none of this...its Apple so I want it.

strange.

Don't agree.

I like aston martins cos they look good. I would never buy a Morgan. And people do queue up to buy cars, but more usually compete at auctions for them.

People who buy apples probably buy them on the back of a fair few hours of trying out the OS on a previous model first. If they hated it that much they might try something else.

I think the term "fanboy" is overused. Even the most ardent fanboy won't buy a product if it doesn't meet their requirements. "fanboy" referring to someone who supports a product/brand no matter what doesn't exist in reality. Everyone has their breaking point.

Edit : I think that most of the people queuing are actually thinking, its apple, therefore I can sell it to someone else who wants it.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Edit : I think that most of the people queuing are actually thinking, its apple, therefore I can sell it to someone else who wants it.

People queue for all sorts of reasons. As a teenager I once queued all night for Wimbledon tickets, just because there were a some really cute girls at the back of the line as I was walking past.

HOLA447

Say we were all blind.....do you think they would they still buy what they do or try and look a certain way?

What is the point of driving a Ferrari if nobody can see you driving it?.......would people judge a person and that persons personality by the car they drive, the trainers they wear or the phone they carry? ;)

HOLA448

Don't agree.

I like aston martins cos they look good. I would never buy a Morgan. And people do queue up to buy cars, but more usually compete at auctions for them.

People who buy apples probably buy them on the back of a fair few hours of trying out the OS on a previous model first. If they hated it that much they might try something else.

I think the term "fanboy" is overused. Even the most ardent fanboy won't buy a product if it doesn't meet their requirements. "fanboy" referring to someone who supports a product/brand no matter what doesn't exist in reality. Everyone has their breaking point.

yeah, but, what does the 6 do today the 5 didnt do today?

How did the fanboy cope with his life the day before he got his 6.

Clearly, its not about utility, its about something else.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

yeah, but, what does the 6 do today the 5 didnt do today?

How did the fanboy cope with his life the day before he got his 6.

Clearly, its not about utility, its about something else.

Probably quite a few things. I don't have one so don't know.

Coping with life - he probably coped fine. In the same way that you coped fine without posting here. So why did you decide to do it ?

it is about utility, because if the thing was simply a non functioning lump of glass/metal/plastic then less people would buy them. Being a fanboy probably lowers the "utility trheshold" that someone has to get out of a device before they no longer want it or have brand loyalty, but nevertheless that threshold is there, until you reach the point at which the object is only purchased/wanted for its artistic properties. Now call me a sceptic, but I would never buy an iphone to mount it on the wall, and I suspect very few of the 10 million who purchased it so far would do so either.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Because you don't want "all those moments lost in time, like tears in rain".

Photo and video is a priority for me. I'm quite sentimental about memories and do actually try to keep them in some order. And the kids have had an absolute blast with the slow mo this evening.

Sure, we didn't need it, but why fight it?

HOLA4415

Photo and video is a priority for me. I'm quite sentimental about memories and do actually try to keep them in some order. And the kids have had an absolute blast with the slow mo this evening.

Sure, we didn't need it, but why fight it?

Sure, sounds like quite a nice little feature. I'm quite a fan of the iPhone and iPad. The only thing that let's it down for me is being unable to predict what is going to happen each time I sync my iPhone with iTunes on my PC.

HOLA4416

sadly, that is never a one off investment.

Aint that a shame.

attract them with your watch(***** on the wrist) and your cheque book maintained lover will need a signature every day...unlike the watch, the lady will lose her looks, so you will be paying for that particular upkeep too.

Looks as though the Beatles lyric is right "the best things in life are free" (that's what I really think anyway)

• 2 years later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, 200p said:

AAPL now at all time highs. If you bought in 2014 (when this thread was started), you might have nearly doubled your money.

House prices now at all time highs. If you had bought in 2004 (when this forum was started), you would have more than doubled your money. ;)

Hindsight and 20/20 vision...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I really don't understand why people like Apple.  I mean, they're okay, but nothing to get excited about.

I bought a Mac about 12 months ago.  Bit of a pain, really.  Never quite does what you want it to.

And an iphone for daughter.  Again, it's okay but doesn't seem to offer anything over my android phone (and it's a hassle to set up).

HOLA4422
On 4/1/2017 at 10:22 AM, dgul said:

I really don't understand why people like Apple.  I mean, they're okay, but nothing to get excited about.

I bought a Mac about 12 months ago.  Bit of a pain, really.  Never quite does what you want it to.

And an iphone for daughter.  Again, it's okay but doesn't seem to offer anything over my android phone (and it's a hassle to set up).

I had to go to a stall on the local market on Saturday to pay £40 to have yet another replacement screen put on my 14 year old's iPone 5s. They're the must have accessory at school, and half the ones you see have cracked screens or backs. She wants an iPhone 6 but we've told her that she'll only get one if she can make a replacement screen last longer than a year. She's got nowhere near.

The bloke on the stall told me that they replace between 10 and 20 new iPhone screens per day. I feck in hate the damn things with a passion...

HOLA4423
19 minutes ago, newbonic said:

I had to go to a stall on the local market on Saturday to pay £40 to have yet another replacement screen put on my 14 year old's iPone 5s. They're the must have accessory at school, and half the ones you see have cracked screens or backs. She wants an iPhone 6 but we've told her that she'll only get one if she can make a replacement screen last longer than a year. She's got nowhere near.

The bloke on the stall told me that they replace between 10 and 20 new iPhone screens per day. I feck in hate the damn things with a passion...

HOLA4424
59 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

The thing that really p*ssed me off when I took my daughters phone into a Carphonewarehouse repair centre a few years back for them to see what was wrong with the phone, was that they opened up the back, took a look inside and just handed it back and said 'water damage, not covered for water damage'. I asked them how on earth do you know it's got water inside....they said "you see this little strip here, it turns red from blue". I thought you c@nts, you've gone to all this effort to design an easy way to determine "water damage" but you couldn't be rsed to make your f*cking phones water tight.

Water damage and screen problems are what keeps Apple and the other phone companies going.

My Samsung has a dye that turns purple if I wee on it.

um... apparently.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

The thing that really p*ssed me off when I took my daughters phone into a Carphonewarehouse repair centre a few years back for them to see what was wrong with the phone, was that they opened up the back, took a look inside and just handed it back and said 'water damage, not covered for water damage'. I asked them how on earth do you know it's got water inside....they said "you see this little strip here, it turns red from blue". I thought you c@nts, you've gone to all this effort to design an easy way to determine "water damage" but you couldn't be rsed to make your f*cking phones water tight.

Water damage and screen problems are what keeps Apple and the other phone companies going.

The big companies have made good progress in this. Samsung has made the most progress, in that their flagship phones are completely waterproof to several meters - in that you can take them to the beach or swimming pool and film videos underwater with them, although the touch screen and microphone don't work particularly well when wet. 

Apple's latest phone is splash proof, but not something you want to drop in the bath. 

Archived