House Price Crash Forum

Hsbc

HOLA441
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Anyway I personally know a guy that runs HSBC out in HK.. He has known for years that Chinese banking system is a house built on sand. And so for all you people hoping to see the end of the world sometime soon... Sorry... Life goes on..

One of your mates was at Lehmans as well, wasn't he? But despite your current claims you personally didn't manage to call that one in advance:

one of my best mates works for them I hope he don't get canned

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70373

There are reasons to suspect HSBC are just being arseholes, but your opinion and personal assurances are not among them.

HOLA443

One of your mates was at Lehmans as well, wasn't he? But despite your current claims you personally didn't manage to call that one in advance:

http://www.housepric...showtopic=70373

There are reasons to suspect HSBC are just being arseholes, but your opinion and personal assurances are not among them.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Must have been back office.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA444

Hmmm well I was in the HSBC bank 2 weeks back, a lady walked away leaving £240 in the machine. Wife ran over to give her the money.

Turned out the bank had cancelled her overdraft even though she had paid a fee to have that facility. Chap at the till, apologised saying there is nothing he could do. It would have to wait for a weekday to sort out. I am starting to get twitchy feet :D.

Reminds me of the time my wife had a student overdraft, went in a month before to check it would roll over after the course finished, got assured it would. Well it didn’t. She walked in the day the letter came through and closed the account (Barclays Bank in the 90’s). Never banked with them again.

HOLA445

RBS were the biggest bank in the world, right before they failed. :ph34r:

not really

RBS shareprice fell to 10p before they failed

HBOS fell to a fraction of its former value too

A+L B+B Northern rock.. all imploded on the share market before no one would lend them any further money.

Bear stearns fell to below $2..

Lehman brothers fell to nothing too

http://jasondacruz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/372cce02-8364-11dd-907e-000077b07658.gif

My point is that precipitous share price declines ALWAYS precede a bank failure because the share price represents a live realtime measure of confidence ( of other banks expecially ) in the bank. No share price = no confidence.

also as long as the share price is still decent the Bank has its own currency from which it can raise capital if it needs... one only needs to look at when Goldman raised capital from Buffet.. and when Citi raised money from Buffet and when everyone raised capital from rights issues.. note particularly the transformational effect of the CRDI.MI rights issue.

your also forgetting that HSBC raised a crap load of capital from a mamoth rights issue in 09 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/716bc256-21ea-11de-8380-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2rawIcFuT

Id also point out the significance of the CDS credit spread in ascertaing market confidence in a bank.. goldmans' credit spread blew out to 2700 in the peak ofthe crisis. but of course your all probably very aware that banks make losses when the credit spread widens and profits when it tightens...

Anyway I prefer to look at facts when asscertaining the strength of a bank and so i'd recomend examining the audited accounts for yourselves rather than all that internet hersey..

http://www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=201311040815010644S

I would particularly draw your attention to :

Cash and balances at central banks $ 170 billion

and also the world leading 14% tier 1 ratio.

anyway as a recent HSBC shareholder I slept soundly at night knowing I owned one of the safest and most succesful banks in the world.. whose purchase of household international was but a blip on the record of the bank that everyone moves their deposits into in a financial crisis.. (and who then loan that money back to the banks it was taken from)

HOLA446

not really

A+L B+B Northern rock.. all imploded on the share market before no one would lend them any further money.

what about assets tho? (or claimed assets!) Im sure on shareprice alone some dotcom companies are also big, despite having no 'value'

HOLA447

not really

Which is arguably too late. Like NR, why didn't the share price go to zero straight away? People speculate and no-one has perfect knowledge. Plenty of media were still blaming Robert Peston for posting that the bank was in trouble as if he had said nothing it would have been OK - that's apparently the thin veneer that keeps a bank going - looking the other way.

Anyways - l bank with HSBC both private and commercially - and l also think they are the least ugly in the circumstances, but it doesn't stop me questioning.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No idea, but apparently they were still alive and kicking three weeks before they filed :blink:

Are you guys stalking me or something ?

Confidence is a fickle thing.. one day you have it and the next it can disappear rapidly in a pestowire post :)... the decline in the lehman share price went on for a while as you know... if you've been busily reviewing all of my posts from 2008! and if you read the book " to big to fail" there were many behind the scenes negotiations that went on before the death blow occured. ultimately sounds like Fuld was just too greedy.

As to why they dont go to zero I remember the day of the northern rock bank run a passer by who also witnessed the run said that it was probably a good time to buy northern rock shares! and indeed there was some "sophisticated" hedge fund guy who did just that.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/profiles/5225312/Jon-Wood-cornerstone-of-the-fight-over-Northern-Rock.html

As dabhand says no one has perfect information. people speculate and the facts can and do change rapidly.. as we witnessed with the RBS bailout.. the Buffet bailouts.. and that business with TARP where the politicians were like shall we pass it or not... thats why even if you think a bank will go to the wall its hard to short it somethimes because facts can change. In some of those circumstances the shares represent an option value on a politician/central banker giving the bank a nice big cheque in return for some shares for instance.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

No not really everyone knew Lehman was leveraged up the wazoo.. Like northern rock etc..

On the contrary every one knowing that the system is supported by QE should be as confident as me and possibly more so the people will keep the ship on course.... there is no circumstance in which hsbc would be allowed to get even close to the edge without the rules being changed again and again and again until the correct answer is given...

You know this to be true..

Are you guys stalking me or something ?

Confidence is a fickle thing.. one day you have it and the next it can disappear rapidly in a pestowire post :)... the decline in the lehman share price went on for a while as you know... if you've been busily reviewing all of my posts from 2008!

Don't worry, it wasn't arduous, there weren't many on Lehmans to review...

;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
However back in the REAL world it is still a FACT that HSBC is today still worth 1.55 TRILLION hk dollars...

If any of that scaremongering paranoid ******** your calling research had any kind of credibility don't you think they worth an awful lot less?

Anyway I personally know a guy that runs HSBC out in HK.. He has known for years that Chinese banking system is a house built on sand. And so for all you people hoping to see the end of the world sometime soon... Sorry... Life goes on..

How much was RBS 'worth' before it crashed and burned? These evaluations are based on trust- and we are talking about a bank that has just paid a billion dollar fine for laundering drug money- so they have proven to be willing to engage in criminal activity in the past- would some dodgy accounting really be beyond the pale?

I'm not saying that there is any problem- I have no special insight. All I do know is that 'the REAL world' in which the banks operate seems subject to sudden and unexpected revisions that are both unforeseen and often devastating to those foolish enough to blindly place their faith in financial institutions.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

How much was RBS 'worth' before it crashed and burned? These evaluations are based on trust- and we are talking about a bank that has just paid a billion dollar fine for laundering drug money- so they have proven to be willing to engage in criminal activity in the past- would some dodgy accounting really be beyond the pale?

I'm not saying that there is any problem- I have no special insight. All I do know is that 'the REAL world' in which the banks operate seems subject to sudden and unexpected revisions that are both unforeseen and often devastating to those foolish enough to blindly place their faith in financial institutions.

And right on cue, another torrent of feces from our criminal friends.

RBS set for £8bn loss in 2013

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1390840501[/url]' post='1102456913']

Interesting. What are the other 'successful' banks, in your opinion?

This is actually a very interesting question...financials are still in a very difficult place in my opinion.. There is still a load of regulatory risks and provisions still to be accounted for...the eventual settlement of the fx rigging could be substantial. Then there is swaps. Maybe commodities.. And for each of these there is going to be a metric ton of Extra regulation increasing costs and decreasing profits...hsbc is probably the only proper bank in the uk making consistent decent profits and paying good dividend quarterly..

Stan chart.. These really do Need to raise capital.. Boardroom in turmoil .. Uninvestable...Rbs .... Still fubared.. Avoid... Hester has done nothing useful.. Talented people probably left.. Still plugging the hole .. No profit no divLloyd's .. Only useful really useful if you want exposure to the uk housing market! E.g I doubt many people on here want that! .. Profit but no div yet.. Maybe next year.. Hence I'm out..Barclays.. Too much ficc.. Still trying to work out who they are as a bank... Not enough capital... Probably my second choice in uk behind hsbc in uk banking but I wouldn't... Not compelling as an investment IMHO.

Santander.. Not sure on this one would have to do more research.. They do a rights issue/ div every quarter.. Makes me suspicious

French banks... Obviously avoid they are French...

Deutche bank.. Too exposed to ficc (which is an area not making money at the moment...) And this probably goes for Goldman Morgan Stanley etc.. Goldman are still making money from the recent surge in equity underwriting.. But weakness in ficc will be a headwind.

Citi .. The rbs of the us.. Avoid again.

JPMorgan despite the whole whale thing.. They still have solid liquidity and capital the are very much too big to fail... Could be worse.. I would consider researching it more to see if it warranted an investment ..

Chinese banks ..avoid.

Swiss banks ..UBS .. Credit sweat. Could be worthwhile taking a look at these due to them being stronger in equities than ficc...

So slim pickings.. Wouldn't want to own many of these at the moment..

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1390864715[/url]' post='1102457085']

I saw some figures that showed that PPI alone represented some 40% of the big banks retail profits. They'll make nowhere near that on that one product going forward.

Yeah for a while there they were really pushing the dixons model wern't they ( overpriced insurance on stuff you don't need)... I suspect they will find some new 'innovation' going forward... But from an investment perspective a huge problem is illusory profits.. And that can go for retail, commercial and investment banking.

HOLA4422

Yeah for a while there they were really pushing the dixons model wern't they ( overpriced insurance on stuff you don't need)... I suspect they will find some new 'innovation' going forward... But from an investment perspective a huge problem is illusory profits.. And that can go for retail, commercial and investment banking.

All your wordy posts remind me of the posts by a guy called Mr Baz on Amazon. He is a top reviewer there, reviewing hundreds of expensive cameras, and hundreds of expensive lenses but only two that are verified purchases, One of those purchases was a lens cap.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA4423

All your wordy posts remind me of the posts by a guy called Mr Baz on Amazon. He is a top reviewer there, reviewing hundreds of expensive cameras, and hundreds of expensive lenses but only two that are verified purchases, One of those purchases was a lens cap.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Put down of the year.

HOLA4424

Jonpo's quick overview of banks seemed bang on the money. My reading in this thread is that he does seem guilty of the HPC crime of actually knowing stuff himself rather than regurgitating clichés picked up on the Internet.

HOLA4425

Jonpo's quick overview of banks seemed bang on the money. My reading in this thread is that he does seem guilty of the HPC crime of actually knowing stuff himself rather than regurgitating clichés picked up on the Internet.

I can agree with that, however, I wonder what is motives are for posting here.

he claims to have married into money and be a home-o ( short for home owner ) so why waste his time here.

he knows we are all wrong...why try and convert us to the path of the righteous ? ( aka, why's be begging us to join his pyramid scam ).