House Price Crash Forum

No Sign Of 'rat-Infested Ghost Ship' Lyubov Orlova Off Uk

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25863916

Coastguards have not made any sightings of an abandoned vessel dubbed a 'rat-infested ghost ship'.

The Russian-registered cruise ship Lyubov Orlova was cut adrift while being towed from Canada almost a year ago amid problems having it scrapped.

According to newspaper reports, experts believe winter storms may have driven the boat towards Ireland, Scotland or England.

You would have thought ships of this size would have tracking beacons installed.

I'm guessing this will have sunk by now surely?

HOLA442

You would have thought ships of this size would have tracking beacons installed.

Perhaps it had been stripped of everything before being towed to be scrapped.

If it hasn't actually hit anything I'm not so sure. If most of it is sealed and compartmentalised would it stay afloat even if it was rolled over?

HOLA443
HOLA444

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25863916

I'm disappointed. You missed the possibility of increased hyperbole.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544444/Russian-ghost-ship-infested-CANNIBAL-RATS-beach-Britain-going-missing-Atlantic.html

Apparently these rats are disease ridden cannibal rats.

Maybe they can also cause low house prices and hate pensioners, fluffy pets and children.

HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544444/Russian-ghost-ship-infested-CANNIBAL-RATS-beach-Britain-going-missing-Atlantic.html

Maybe they can also cause low house prices and hate pensioners, fluffy pets and children.

Nearly Mr Slug, there are in fact:

A ghost ship infested with hundreds of cannibalistic rats may end up beaching on Britain's coastline, experts have warned.

Or worse:

Searchers say there are likely to be hundreds, if not thousands, of disease-ridden rats on board with no source of food except each other.

Or there may be none as all the food (including other rats) has now been eaten.

HOLA447

Could be worse, could be zombie cannibal rats.

HOLA448

Most of them do and can be tracked in real time.

Linky

(Just zoom in on the map where you wish and when you get close enough you will see the large ships in the area. English channel is a good start.. click on a vessel for more info)

I guess if it was being towed it didn't need one, or if it did it was disposed of before they slipped the painter/ tow-line.

HOLA449

I guess if it was being towed it didn't need one, or if it did it was disposed of before they slipped the painter/ tow-line.

Might be a power/battery issue, if it's not under its own power (i.e. being towed) then it presumably it'd have a battery back up but only for a limited period, since the ship's engines haven't been run in > 2 years one guesses that these have failed.

Apparently a signal was received from the emergency beacon, which activates when exposed to water, which suggests that it may have sunk.

HOLA4410

Nearly Mr Slug, there are in fact:

Or worse:

Or there may be none as all the food (including other rats) has now been eaten.

In an isolated environment, could the rats not recycle 100% of their nutritional value into their future generations? They are scary Russian rats after all.

HOLA4411

Might be a power/battery issue, if it's not under its own power (i.e. being towed) then it presumably it'd have a battery back up but only for a limited period, since the ship's engines haven't been run in > 2 years one guesses that these have failed.

Apparently a signal was received from the emergency beacon, which activates when exposed to water, which suggests that it may have sunk.

Maybe the rats ate the batteries, turning them into hyper powered super rats capable of consuming lead, plastic and battery acid.

What amazes me more is how these super intelligent doomsday rats managed to pilot this boat all the way across the Atlantic. Surely if this is possible then why do people bother paying sailors ?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The emergency beacons are attached to the lifeboats, 2 signals have been picked up but there should be more if the vessel had sunk. It's amazing it hasn't been spotted by another ship.

HOLA4415

I doubt the rats are going to have very many diseases if they're a small population which has been isolated for a while. Most of the diseases they were carrying to start with will have spread through the population, killed some and left the rest immune. You need quite big populations to keep most pathogens alive. These rats might end up being less diseased than the native ones they meet on the beach.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

What I find worrying about this story is that the Canadians simply towed this thing out of their territorial waters and then dumped it in the ocean. Why is Greenpeace not screaming blue murder about this? How much has the Canadian government paid them off? When the French were having problems finding someone who'd be willing to scrap the Georges Clemenceau, environmentalists were mieowing and hissing like crazy, and when Able UK took the job on (despite the fact that they are internationally recognised experts in scrapping ships containing dangerous waste safely), they were lobbying the British government to block the contract. Presumably they just wanted it broken up on the beach in Alang...

This incident appears to be even worse. At least the French were trying to get rid of their ship responsibly, and were willing to pay what it cost to do so. The Canadians just dumped this unwanted, 1970s Soviet-built ship (and thus probably full of asbestos and other nasty stuff) in the middle of the Atlantic, leaving whatever country it ends up in to deal with it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Has anyone got a boat ?

We could get a HPC team together and go out into the Atlantic and find this thing.

It must be worth millions.

We can board it, and go into the hold, looking round with flashlights and stuff, like the X Files. DTMark knows what to do.

Haven't those starving rats got enough problems already?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The gay thing, the two toilets together (probably for disabled), the ghost ship thing - this is all the negative propaganda I've noticed so far, do people even take notice of the news any more. What is the reason they're trying to make us hate the russians for?

The comics are fun.

HOLA4425

Most of them do and can be tracked in real time.

Linky

(Just zoom in on the map where you wish and when you get close enough you will see the large ships in the area. English channel is a good start.. click on a vessel for more info)

Fascinating website, seeing where all those ships are going and what they look like.

Archived