House Price Crash Forum

Nelson Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter Was A 'fake' Who 'made Up His Own Signs'

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nelson-mandela-memorial-sign-language-interpreter-was-a-fake-who-made-up-his-own-signs-8997486.html

The sign language interpreter used by the African National Congress during Nelson Mandela’s memorial service at Johannesburg FNB football stadium yesterday was a fake, it has been claimed today.

Bruno Druchen, the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa said the unnamed man seen on television next to leaders such as US President Barack Obama "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for."

Three sign language experts said the man was not signing in South African or American sign languages. South African sign language covers all of the country's 11 official languages, according to the federation. It is not yet known if the unidentified man was using a different method to communicate.

So no one can recognise the signing being used?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I heard about this on the radio this morning, but so funny to actually see it.

He's not even that good at faking, keeps doing more-or-less the same movements! What a blagger, he clearly just wanted to be on TV :D

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

This is very funny if true.

I can't help thinking of a comedy sketch of someone having got away with being a fake interpreter, allegedly, for years and then to be sussed out when you have to do it live in front of a global audience of several hundred million people.

What do you do at that point - come clean or try to keep on bluffing?

HOLA448

This is very funny if true.

I can't help thinking of a comedy sketch of someone having got away with being a fake interpreter, allegedly, for years and then to be sussed out when you have to do it live in front of a global audience of several hundred million people.

What do you do at that point - come clean or try to keep on bluffing?

My thoughts too. He must have been offered a decent pay day, otherwise surely you would call in sick or make up some excuse? He didn't think he would get away with it, surely?

HOLA449

My thoughts too. He must have been offered a decent pay day, otherwise surely you would call in sick or make up some excuse? He didn't think he would get away with it, surely?

You have to wonder who he is related to don't you?

South Africa's deaf federation confirms his movements had 'no meaning'

It takes a lot of something to stand next to world leaders in a stadium full of people and do that.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That's very interesting. My 9 year old said the bloke was "faking it" yesterday. I asked why and he said he was not doing any of the signs or doing it like the woman who signs children's TV. I took a bit more notice and it was true that he didn't look like the BBC sign language people.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Bit of a security slip, surely? Wasn't he within striking distance of the President of the USA? And not only is he not what he says he is but nobody know who he is either.

Oh yes.

The UK PM and 3 ex-PM's being there - security risk? I mean it's be a shame for John Major.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Bit of a security slip, surely? Wasn't he within striking distance of the President of the USA? And not only is he not what he says he is but nobody know who he is either.

It's really irritating that everyone is saying that. Like Obama is somehow more important, more worthy of protection than any of the other world leaders.

And the fake interpreter... it's very... African...

HOLA4421

I heard about this on the radio this morning, but so funny to actually see it.

He's not even that good at faking, keeps doing more-or-less the same movements! What a blagger, he clearly just wanted to be on TV :D

I don't know sign but on the channel 4 news last night with I think Obama speaking I thought the signing looked a tad odd.

Here's a clip but no Obama

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived