House Price Crash Forum

Big Problems For Uk - Old Electric Cables

HOLA441

http://www.enwl.co.uk/news-and-press/latest-news/2013/01/16/16-01-2013-2m-power-upgrade-for-oldham-residents

A few years ago the water board replaced miles of mains pipe. A massive amount of work.

Now it seems the electric board is going to change some cable too.

This lot is not being done near me - although in the past 6 months we've had two sections of cable need replacing within a street of here. Cabling that I assume is also over 50 years old.

If it all needs replacing then this is also going to be a massive amount of work. And money.

HOLA442

http://www.enwl.co.uk/news-and-press/latest-news/2013/01/16/16-01-2013-2m-power-upgrade-for-oldham-residents

A few years ago the water board replaced miles of mains pipe. A massive amount of work.

This lot is not being done near me - although in the past 6 months we've had two sections of cable need replacing within a street of here. Cabling that I assume is also over 50 years old.

If it all needs replacing then this is also going to be a massive amount of work. And money.

Oh, I'm sure the replacement cost will have been taken into account over the lifetime of the current infrastructure...

HOLA443

This is why your power bills are so high, they price in infrastructure upgrades as and when they need to do them.

Since privation it's more need to do them rather than when.

Same for water, the price of that has gone up considerably in the last decade or so.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Weirdly it was all laid in the first place. Strage that.

As luck would have it there's 3 million people with b*gger all to do so it shouldn't be a problem.

As further luck would have it there's now graphene - and that's going to replace everything, even people.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Who wants to spend money on boring essential infrastructure when instead you can throw it at a pointless whizzy shiny railway and the like? There are other similar things to worry about, how long before most motorway bridges start coming to the end of their lives at around the same time? Some are already showing signs...

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Weirdly it was all laid in the first place. Strage that.

As luck would have it there's 3 million people with b*gger all to do so it shouldn't be a problem.

As further luck would have it there's now graphene - and that's going to replace everything, even people.

I suspect it was added as they built the roads road here - from the 30s onwards.

HOLA4413

' Water Board'? 'Electricity Board'? Where have you been for the last 30 years?

HOLA4414

You wait until the Gas Mob arrive to replace the Gas Mains and your pipe to the meter using the Mole Method. They have been in my area now for 4 months although the existing pipes were only 37 years old.

Who is paying for this I asked a NG man, "probably you Sir" he replied in your future Gas Bills as this is a Countrywide Operation eventually costing £Billions. :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

Calm down and don't worry. This is why the networks were privatised... so private companies would invest the money needed to improve, upgrade and update the networks.

It's not going to be a problem as the private companies will have been doing all the required replacements and upgrades systematically for the last 30 years to keep our network efficient and up-to-date.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Who wants to spend money on boring essential infrastructure when instead you can throw it at a pointless whizzy shiny railway and the like? There are other similar things to worry about, how long before most motorway bridges start coming to the end of their lives at around the same time? Some are already showing signs...

Certainly are already showing signs, says someone who took for-flaming-ever to get to and from London on the coach the last two trips. Picturesque diversions around Hammersmith and some dump near Heathrow.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

All this work is urgent to deal with the increased population of 10 Million in the next decade. :rolleyes:

And to cope with a few extra solar systems.

Been reading about new rules for installations - something about having to check how many installations already in your area and that you might get refused permission if there are 'too many'/

HOLA4420

Calm down and don't worry. This is why the networks were privatised... so private companies would invest the money needed to improve, upgrade and update the networks.

It's not going to be a problem as the private companies will have been doing all the required replacements and upgrades systematically for the last 30 years to keep our network efficient and up-to-date.

Very tongue-in-cheek ;)

If you privatise infrastructure which people have no choice but to use, does the buyer of said infrastructure:

1. Invest in providing quality, modern services, or

2. Milk it for all its worth and hand the begging bowl to the taxpayer to pay for the upkeep and upgrades?

BT is another prime example.

Still, I suppose it brought in some money for the Conservative government and created a short-lived feelgood factor, which is what our Governments are for..

HOLA4421

Still, I suppose it brought in some money for the Conservative government and created a short-lived feelgood factor, which is what our Governments are for..

Except one of the reasons the infrastructure was privatised was because governments had run it down for decades with minimal maintenance and didn't want to pay the bill to upgrade everything.

HOLA4422

Very tongue-in-cheek ;)

If you privatise infrastructure which people have no choice but to use, does the buyer of said infrastructure:

1. Invest in providing quality, modern services, or

2. Milk it for all its worth and hand the begging bowl to the taxpayer to pay for the upkeep and upgrades?

BT is another prime example.

Answer: No. 1

National Grid is allowed to make a regulatory return based on the value of its asset base.

Therefore, to a point, the more they invest the more they can make

Well that's how it worked for the first 20 years.

HOLA4423

As someone who has had two power cuts in the space of a month because of this very issue, I can say it is a pain in the ****.

Both times it has caused the fuses at the substation to blow, both time I have been told they have replaced the cable. I beg to differ as there is a ruddy great hole at the bottom of my road with a temporary junction in it, hope it doesn't rain or snow hard.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Answer: No. 1

National Grid is allowed to make a regulatory return based on the value of its asset base.

Therefore, to a point, the more they invest the more they can make

Well that's how it worked for the first 20 years.

Perhaps you've found the exception that proves the rule..

Are you volunteering to lay cable?

I suspect the ducting may be near to collapse by now :)