House Price Crash Forum

Bundesbank To Pull Gold From New York And Paris In Watershed Moment

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/9804444/Bundesbank-to-pull-gold-from-New-York-and-Paris-in-watershed-moment.html

Interesting, this could heaps loads of crap onto the markets....do they not trust Obama and Bernanke.

Bundesbank to pull gold from New York and Paris in watershed moment

Germany’s Bundesbank is to repatriate gold reserves held abroad to tighten control and combat currency crises in the future, pulling a chunk of its holdings from New York and all its bullion from Paris.

The move marks an extraodinary breakdown in trust between leading central banks and has set off ferment among gold enthusiasts, with some comparing it with France’s withdrawal of gold from the US under President Charles de Gaulle as the Bretton Woods currency system crumbled in the late 1960s.

Handelsblatt said the Bundesbank will announce on Wednesday that it intends to relocate the gold to vaults in Frankfurt, said by insiders to include parts of the old archive library. Germany has 3,396 tons of gold worth roughly £115bn, the world’s second-largest holding after the US. Most of the reserves were stored abroad for safety during the Cold War.

The bank holds an estimated 45pc of its gold at the US Federal Reserve in New York, and 11pc at the Banque de France, lower than originally thought.

A report by Germany’s budget watchdog in October revealed that the bank halved its holding in London a decade ago, a period when the Bank of England was selling part of Britain’s gold at the bottom of the market to buy euros.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

in R2 they said they was goign to take from UK gold holdings too.

so is there a table showing hoe much gold countries own, how much they have in their country and where it is? also a good show would be the deficit of total world gold and what people think they own.

TS will HTF big time of big countries cant get their gold.

HOLA447

so is there a table showing hoe much gold countries own, how much they have in their country and where it is? also a good show would be the deficit of total world gold and what people think they own.

suspect this is the first step for Germany to get out of the Euro. Pull out all your gold as possible from elsewhere. Then a new German mark backed by gold.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

looking that way unless the germans dont get it back, don't forget they asked the Fed to audit this gold some months ago, not sure they liked the answers from the Fed.

Remind me, how much gold does the UK have left? :ph34r:

The Pound will be worthless in a world of gold backed currencies...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The issue of storing gold abroad is that its dead easy for a CB to purchase the local currency and use the local store of gold as collateral.

I dont think the announcement wwas to bring all the Gold Back....but however much it is going to be, will make collateral harder to collect for the US in the event of Euro and other defaults.

Trust is the key to banking.

It comes to something when that trust breaks down between banks....and they know the extent of the bluff...

HOLA4417

Look on the bright side. It confirms there is no longer a risk of Soviet tanks rolling westward.

However, the story in the Telegraph is that they are pulling some from New York and ALL from Paris. Maybe they need to keep some in the US in case they want to buy dollars, but the withdrawal from France tells me the most. I'm not sure what, but it tells me the most.

Edited by Stainless Sam

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Buba statement:

31 December 2012 31 December 2020
Frankfurt am Main 31 % 50 %
New York 45 % 37 %
London 13 % 13 %
Paris 11 % 0 %
{Stupid table}
The withdrawal of the reserves from the storage location in Paris reflects the change in the framework conditions since the introduction of the euro. Given that France, like Germany, also has the euro as its national currency, the Bundesbank is no longer dependent on Paris as a financial centre in which to exchange gold for an international reserve currency should the need arise. As capacity has now become available in the Bundesbank’s own vaults in Germany, the gold stocks can now be relocated from Paris to Frankfurt.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

All this talk of repatriation due to Germany being 'at peace' is all smoke and mirrors in my opinion. The Germans are not stupid and are repatriating their gold to hedge against fiat currency collapse aswell as making sure they havent had their gold 'accidentally' leased out without their knowledge and replaced with Tungsten filled goodness.

With the Basel 3 reclassification of gold and central banks all over the world reversing the previous trend and becoming net buyers of gold I feel that Germany are taking notice and acting appropriately.

In the event of a Euro collapse a re introduced Mark backed partially by gold and a strong manufacturing/export sector would fare very well for Germany, the Weimar republic is still very fresh in the average German citizens psyche.

HOLA4422

In possibly related news, I heard on the Keiser Report the other day that JP Morgan have been given the go ahead to launch a physical copper exchange. Found some info here:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/111490/jp-morgan-gets-big-holiday-gift-the-sec#

Seems to me that the insiders are all making a move to get control of physical assets ... at a time when government bonds are at all time highs. More than a reasonable chance of the bond bubble bursting and all sorts of hell being unleashed on currencies in the near term, IMO.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Tungstenrodtastic.

I bet the Germans will be slicing every bar open.

HOLA4425

Look on the bright side. It confirms there is no longer a risk of Soviet tanks rolling westward.

However, the story in the Telegraph is that they are pulling some from New York and ALL from Paris. Maybe they need to keep some in the US in case they want to buy dollars, but the withdrawal from France tells me the most. I'm not sure what, but it tells me the most.

Well, at least it tells you one of 2 things...

Either:

1. The Germans have no current military designs on Paris, and just want their gold back before the US invades France

or

2. The Germans have military designs on Paris, know the French don't hold the gold they are asking for and will use it as a reason to 'liberate' their holdings once the french refuse.