• Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Turns out he's quite the little sociopath. Trying to paint himself as a the victim :rolleyes:

I got that impression.

http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-10-25/lance-armstrongs-failure-to-come-clean-is-classic-hallmark-of-narcissistic-personality-says-psychologist/

A leading New Jersey psychologist believes Lance Armstrong is a classic narcissist who is clinging to his “tattered heroic façade.”

“Armstrong’s failure to come clean even in the face of undeniable evidence further belies his need to cling to some remnant of his tattered heroic façade,” Dr. Sam Von Reiche told Celebuzz.

“His inability to take responsibility for his actions is a classic hallmark of narcissistic personality.”

HOLA449

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21066354

Blimey. My memories of a hero smashed to pieces with a wrecking ball. What a git!

The BBC seem to be incapable of reporting something without applying their own spin:

his cancer fight in the mid-1990s gave him a "win-at-all costs" attitude

He did not say that his "win-at-all costs" attitude came from his cancer fight. He said that this attitude "served him well" in his cancer fight, i.e. he was always like that.

http://www.oprah.com/own/Lance-Armstrongs-Ruthless-Desire-to-Win-Video

HOLA4410

On the subject of his attack an Andreu, from the LA Times article about the interview:

LA Times

"If they said 10 things and eight of them are right and two of them are false, then I have every right to go after them," Armstrong said, which was met with a bit of incredulity from Oprah.

yeah, right, 8 out of 10 and he still hasn't got you bang to rights?

I can't help thinking that 7 wins was just plain greedy. I remember watching Indurain crack the year after his 5th win - at that point 5 wins put him in a very select group of winners.

The narcissist hypothesis stacks up for me.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

He is clearly a bit of a **** and deserves the abuse he gets. However it is pretty obvious nearly all of the others were at it too. Not that it makes any of it right - however others will be getting away with this Scot free.

Ps - i wonder if there is any chance all the chemicals he put in his body were perhaps linked to his cancer ?

Seems so - google Testicular cancer anabolic steroids and you'll find the info + speculation about Armstrong's condition:

http://www.unco.edu/shc/topics/steroids.htm

So he wasn't just a cheat, but self-destructive as well. Not sure that fits with narcissism.

Worst thing is the aggression he showed to people seeking the truth. Nasty ******er.

Saw a documentary ages ago, fly on the wall stuff about his married life with Cheryl Crowe - no surprise when they divorced a few years later.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

How about those 7 Tour de France wins though? Quite a remarkable achievement, however he did it.

It's not as if he didn't cover all those miles (without crashing, missing the break-aways, or blowing up in the time-trials) or all the other riders were squeaky clean... amazing team, tactical and individual achievements.

I'm liking my post-Modern approach to sport. I prefer it to all the hand-wringing hypocrisy we're seeing now.

As to Bolt - long may he continue to be the fastest man who ever walked the earth. I won't be the one questioning his achievements.

HOLA4418

How about those 7 Tour de France wins though? Quite a remarkable achievement, however he did it.

It's not as if he didn't cover all those miles (without crashing, missing the break-aways, or blowing up in the time-trials) or all the other riders were squeaky clean... amazing team, tactical and individual achievements.

I'm liking my post-Modern approach to sport. I prefer it to all the hand-wringing hypocrisy we're seeing now.

As to Bolt - long may he continue to be the fastest man who ever walked the earth. I won't be the one questioning his achievements.

And you'd have the same attitude were you the person in 10th place in 2004, where 7 of the 9 ahead of you were subsequently found to be doping?

Or if you were a woman rider, whos sport was deprived sponsorship as a result of Lance and Co sucking in a lot of the dosh because of 'the story'?

Your view is naive in the extreme, Armstrong's actions have had many untold consequences for the careers of non-doping cyclists- some might have been sacked from teams, never given a chance in the top events in the first place etc.

As an HPCer, you'd presumably not appreciate the fiscal doping of the indebted and its consequences for the other, financially healthy competitors?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

so, if i get you right, you don't care if the top athletes are juiced,

even though the official line is that they are competing clean,

and you don't mind that genuinely clean athletes will never be able to beat them.

HOLA4422

It wasn't just the doping that allowed him to win, a lot of them were doping. Any clean athletes were probably finishing 70th, if we assume that Lance and the people around him were world class without drugs - EPO and blood doping gives like a 13% increase in performance. Given the transfers between teams and that most of the top teams were monitoring blood levels etc, I dont see any way for ANYONE racing in the tour to not realise that everyone is doping.

Lance would have done anything to win, including dying either through doping or exhaustion

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
  • 2 years later...
HOLA4425

Archived