House Price Crash Forum

Eye Level Is Buy Level

jaspers

HOLA441
HOLA442

This is the sort of thing that makes me scoff at how free marketeers going on about "voluntarily choice". The fact is since Bernays/Cialdini type theories started being applied to marketing you really have no idea whether you are making a voluntary choice or whether you have been subconsciously forced into it.

HOLA443

This is the sort of thing that makes me scoff at how free marketeers going on about "voluntarily choice". The fact is since Bernays/Cialdini type theories started being applied to marketing you really have no idea whether you are making a voluntary choice or whether you have been subconsciously forced into it.

That's an easy one.. if you walked out spending more than you planned then your weak mind succumbed to their superior marketing ability :P

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's a fluff piece for simon, his company was bought out by TNS (now Kantar) years ago on lease when he was close to bankrupt. Now the lease is up he's written a book which is mostly ripped off from academic journals which he failed to citate in the proper fashion.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says.

HOLA446

It's a fluff piece for simon, his company was bought out by TNS (now Kantar) years ago on lease when he was close to bankrupt. Now the lease is up he's written a book which is mostly ripped off from academic journals which he failed to citate in the proper fashion.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says.

sounds like there is a good popular science book on the subject to be written, (and that this probably isn't it)

I find the paradox of choice stuff interesting, as we constantly hear 'choice' paraded by the government as important when it comes to public services. I remember listening to a prof from Liverpool Uni (can't remember his name) talking about his research into choice and healthcare. When you speak to patients, 'choice' comes way down the list of what's wanted from their healthcare provider.

HOLA447

You have to bend down for the cheap lemonade. And most of the cheap stuff is at floor level.

Simple solution is to send a midget or child shopping for you.

The joys of being small - get drunk for less, require less food, can only reach cheap food!

I'm 6ft and at peak of my metabolism (yet my dole is lower than adult dole - and they don't need to eat as much!) unsure.gif

HOLA448

http://www.independe...ng-7661663.html

I never knew supermarkets 'rent out' shelves to the big brand names. Some interesting comments as well.

Well as Tesco top management recently admitted in public

- their psycho-topdown marketing team completely fecked up over the last few years cos we don't listen or do what they expected of us with their 'manipulating'

The sheer lies of being the cheapest when they were NOT hidden within buy one get one free, pricing same products in per ml + ltr to confuse shoppers, charging more on product for bigger bags of stuff than smaller bags, overpricing of wine etc then selling it at normal price as if on offer a few weeks later scam - pissed loads off

= Psycho-Babble

(same with Psychometric testing - human resources bullshitters!)

HOLA449

You actually have the choice to avoid supermarkets and go to local shops. Talk to the business owner, discuss the local suppliers and what is currently in season or good value. It is possible you know.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

sounds like there is a good popular science book on the subject to be written, (and that this probably isn't it)

I find the paradox of choice stuff interesting, as we constantly hear 'choice' paraded by the government as important when it comes to public services. I remember listening to a prof from Liverpool Uni (can't remember his name) talking about his research into choice and healthcare. When you speak to patients, 'choice' comes way down the list of what's wanted from their healthcare provider.

The book you are looking for is"The Hidden Persuaders" by Vance Packard (1957)

Yep, the book is over 50 years old, but still a very good read, and a bit scary, as one wonders what techniques have been developed since it was written.

Some marketing textbooks are quite readable too. Ones that centre on failed marketing campaigns (New Coca Cola, Ford Edsel, etc) are particularly entertaining in a schadenfreude sort of way.

HOLA4412

The book you are looking for is"The Hidden Persuaders" by Vance Packard (1957)

Yep, the book is over 50 years old, but still a very good read, and a bit scary, as one wonders what techniques have been developed since it was written.

Some marketing textbooks are quite readable too. Ones that centre on failed marketing campaigns (New Coca Cola, Ford Edsel, etc) are particularly entertaining in a schadenfreude sort of way.

the book might be 50years old, but the techniques will be as old as shopkeeping itself, while people havent changed at all.

where 5% of people cant even read, the colour, the smell, the locations and just about everything else in a shop has a sales edge to be capitalised on.

I remember the lesson on customer flow in my sales course, so at busy times where the tills were full, they would play slow music, to slow the speed people walk round, and speed it up in slow times. getting the speed just right was the aim, for maximum flow through.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I believe there is a simple device you can use to negate this psychological manipulation. It is called a shopping list. Apparently you write down what you want on a piece of paper before you get to the shops and then only buy the items on it.

they can still try and tempt you even with this though.

you put eggs and when you get there it's a box for £1.50 or 2 boxes for £2 - which do you go for?

HOLA4415

they can still try and tempt you even with this though.

you put eggs and when you get there it's a box for £1.50 or 2 boxes for £2 - which do you go for?

If you really only want half a dozen you look for the non-promotion ones on the lower shelf @ £1.25.

OTOH if you're really into scrambled eggs and omelettes you check the sell-by date on the others.

HOLA4416

the book might be 50years old, but the techniques will be as old as shopkeeping itself, while people havent changed at all.

where 5% of people cant even read, the colour, the smell, the locations and just about everything else in a shop has a sales edge to be capitalised on.

I remember the lesson on customer flow in my sales course, so at busy times where the tills were full, they would play slow music, to slow the speed people walk round, and speed it up in slow times. getting the speed just right was the aim, for maximum flow through.

Looks interesting, will try and get round to reading it. 'Thinking fast and slow' also looks might might be worth a read, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1846140552 http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/Daniel_Kahneman_-_Thinking_Fast_and_Slow.html

(TED talk on Paradox of choice

)

Edit : links

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest eight

Has anybody read Boo Hoo? It's like watching a car crash that you knew was going to happen.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Archived