House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
Just now, Roman Roady said:

Thats what I was alluding to in my post. If the Russians and Chinese collude over this then there could be a gold backed Rouble with Russian exports to China paid for in gold.

Gold hit $2000 today by the way.

image.thumb.png.6d15a76fe11ed03b87605ec0c8b085d5.png

All it would really take is for China and Russia to agree to trade in 'not-dollars' (whatever form that may take, maybe each other's currencies or some sort of SDR that is a combination of the two)...

What does China need - Energy and Food

What does Russia need  - 'Stuff'

What does China produce - 'Stuff'

What does Russia produce - Energy and Food.

.. you have everything you need right there for a fully parallel trade system and trading currency.  That alone would weaken the dollar and hamper the West's ability to sanction them significantly.

But If they then go gold-backed on top, it's game over for the abuse of dollar hegemony form the US.

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

All it would really take is for China and Russia to agree to trade in 'not-dollars' (whatever form that may take, maybe each other's currencies or some sort of SDR that is a combination of the two)...

.. you have everything you need right there for a fully parallel trade system and trading currency.  That alone would weaken the dollar and hamper the West's ability to sanction them significantly.

But If they then go gold-backed on top, it's game over for the abuse of dollar hegemony form the US.

Yup and the Gold and goods will go over land if necessary...not a lot the USN can do about that.

HOLA443
1 minute ago, Roman Roady said:

Thats what I was alluding to in my post. If the Russians and Chinese collude over this then there could be a gold backed Rouble with Russian exports to China paid for in gold.

Makes sense that they would collude.

Who stands to benefit from high oil prices and an attempt to weaken the dollar or undermine it as the worlds reserve currency...both of them. Although did you see Powell last week I think he said something along the lines of the world could have two reserve global currencies.

5 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Gold hit $2000 today by the way.

Thematic play for me

Gold LONG

Energy Sector LONG(S) Plug Power 

Cloudflare LONG to prep for Russian bot attacks (currently underwater)

HOLA444
HOLA445
8 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

For sure. Have you read any Jim (James) Rikards?

The worry for me long term is BRICS. Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa

Goldman wrote this in '03 https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/archive/archive-pdfs/brics-dream.pdf

Looking at global projections of the world largest economies by 2050 its all BRICS - we just 'aint in it......!

HOLA446
1 hour ago, Data Dave said:

For sure. Have you read any Jim (James) Rikards?

The worry for me long term is BRICS. Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa

Goldman wrote this in '03 https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/archive/archive-pdfs/brics-dream.pdf

Looking at global projections of the world largest economies by 2050 its all BRICS - we just 'aint in it......!

Germany, France and Italy have substantial gold reserves.

The UK - not so much.  Thanks Gordon!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
50 minutes ago, killerbee said:

Someone wake Goldfinger up.

Mwuahahaha - great minds think alike! I really only saw your post after I had made the other one. LOL

Edit: And I got to admit I even bought some shiny over the past weeks. Not that I hold lots of cash anyway...

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA4414
On 05/03/2022 at 10:06, Roman Roady said:

Thinking on about a gold backed Rouble, wouldn't they need to be fairly confident about the amount of gold in the world and where it is? Otherwise the potential for the value of the currency to change after linking would be high. He might as well link the Rouble to BTC.

The last country to do this was the US in 1944? I'm pretty sure they knew where most of the worlds gold was back then! How else do you price it?

Some figures I have heard is that there is roughly 160k tonnes above ground of which 35k is in central banks.

Russia appears to have approx 2300 tonnes which is quite a lot but the big unknowns are the USA and China. There have been persistent rumors that the US don't have their stated reserves (remember the repatriation of the German gold?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserve

International Monetary Fund 2,814.0 N/A
Logo European Central Bank.svg European Central Bank 504.8 34.3%
1 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 8,133.5 66.3%
2 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 3,359.1 66.0%
3 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 2,451.8 62.9%
4 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 2,436.4 57.8%
5 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 2,298.5 21.4%
6 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 1,948.3 3.3%

Perhaps Putin and Xi know more than they are letting on.

My guess is you have to x5 to x10 those Chinese numbers. And theirs is possibly unencumbered, which is not so clear about the U.S. gold.

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA4415

Most importantly, I do think that gold still is dirt cheap at this point. But the window to buy it easily may be closing soon. BV and GM will be the way to go when all coins are gone.

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA4416
On 11/01/2022 at 03:37, warpig said:

Hello!!! Indeed and that cup and handle pattern is just too impressive, not to finally make its move... it's coming! We've all been waiting a long time... 

Agreed. The mainstream media has started to spout the wrong kind of news for quite a while now, too. It's all inflation and zero interest. Holding no gold is pure financial insanity. The whole Ukrainian thing does not help with price suppression either, and if China ever takes Taiwan, the gig will 100% be up, as they will most likely declare their gold reserves then. Which, IMO, are vast.

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA4417
45 minutes ago, Silverfinger said:

My guess is you have to x5 to x10 those Chinese numbers. And theirs is possibly unencumbered, which is not so clear about the U.S. gold.

The other thing about the Chinese is they 'own' vast areas of Africa. So not only do they hold bullion they have the means of production too with mines. 

Which is a bit like why Canada actually holds very little gold, they state that if they need it, they will mine it as they own the resources....

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
6 hours ago, Silverfinger said:

Agreed. The mainstream media has started to spout the wrong kind of news for quite a while now, too. It's all inflation and zero interest. Holding no gold is pure financial insanity. The whole Ukrainian thing does not help with price suppression either, and if China ever takes Taiwan, the gig will 100% be up, as they will most likely declare their gold reserves then. Which, IMO, are vast.

Absolutely... negative real rates, war, monetary reset and financial instability is when gold comes into its own.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 08/03/2022 at 09:19, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

Us "Tin Foil Hatters" don't look so stupid this week do we? I guess we get it right once every 10 years 😃

You are just selling to greater fools like 2011, Gold is a giant Ponzi. Everyone will be in tears when it crashes in price or a nuclear heatwave melts their stash. 

HOLA4424

Not heard of this guy before. Fascinating interview (1hr), mainly geo-political but gets to gold at the end. 

0:00 – Introduction
1:04 – Predicting Invasion
16:30 – NATO and Conflict?
23:57 – Europe and Energy
25:48 – China & Russia
29:04 – Russia & Commodities
31:16 – Global Energy Shocks
35:35 – Doomsday Bubble
38:24 – Dollar Outcome
40:44 – West Outlook
45:33 – Hedging The Risks
49:15 – Sector Rotation?
50:35 – Crypto Market Thoughts
52:05 – Metal Price Targets
53:35 – Gold Standard & Putin
58:49 – China Gold Reserves
59:38 – Wrap Up

HOLA4425
9 hours ago, markyh said:

You are just selling to greater fools like 2011, Gold is a giant Ponzi. Everyone will be in tears when it crashes in price or a nuclear heatwave melts their stash. 

If a building it's in burns down you can recover it in a melted splat shape, while the rest of the place is obliterated & any cash missing the "c".

On 08/03/2022 at 09:19, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

Us "Tin Foil Hatters" don't look so stupid this week do we? I guess we get it right once every 10 years 😃

It may tamp down again. How much? who knows. Buy more.

cnryfqs4dvl81.jpg.e04cd60e71deea18159001e28fdfe574.jpg