House Price Crash Forum

High House Prices Turn Teachers Into Commuters

HOLA441

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/8906731.High_house_prices_turn_teachers_into_commuters/

TEACHERS are commuting in to Oxford schools from as far as Milton Keynes and Birmingham because city homes are too expensive.

They spoke after a report by the Centres for Cities think tank confirmed that Oxford was the least affordable city in the UK to buy a house.

Figures show the cost of housing is higher than every city outside the capital, but wages are lower than towns including Swindon, Milton Keynes and London.

John Hussey, Birmingham resident and headteacher at St Gregory the Great School in East Oxford, said high prices were hitting young people who wanted to enter teaching.

He said: “If you manage to attract and retain good teachers, when they reach the family stage of their lives, they have to move out of the city to find suitable accommodation.”

HOLA442
HOLA443

how do they know its high prices turning teachers into commuters and not that they prefer the trip into work watching the idyllic sprawl of the countryside go past their window as they relax on the train journey into work

If they like spending hours getting to work they must be fools, have a mentality of a slave, the short the distance too work the happier you are.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

If we are to assume that everybody wants to live near work, then all those that commute do not like it. Since they do not like it, they must be forced to commute. With limited housing supply, if the teachers do not commute, somebody else must. Thus this guy is arguing for privilege. That some other hard working profession should do the commuting.

If one were to take a systemic view the teachers are the ones that should commute. The total person-commute hours are reduced due to teachers only having to attend work during the school terms.

HOLA4410

If we are to assume that everybody wants to live near work, then all those that commute do not like it. Since they do not like it, they must be forced to commute. With limited housing supply, if the teachers do not commute, somebody else must. Thus this guy is arguing for privilege. That some other hard working profession should do the commuting.

If one were to take a systemic view the teachers are the ones that should commute. The total person-commute hours are reduced due to teachers only having to attend work during the school terms.

Both good points.

I have a relatively short commute from outer London to Central London. This was originally because of high house prices preventing me from living in a nice part of Central London. But If prices came down by 50% now, I wouldn't move into Central London, I'd be more tempted to rent/buy a bigger place where I am.

I don't think I want to work anywhere else other than Central London, but I don't really want to live there anymore. I am therefore happy to commute and wouldn't prefer a local job.

It must be the same for some of the Oxford teachers e.g. those who prefer to live in the countryside etc.

HOLA4411

Not true. Most of the locals seem to be under employed on housing benefits at 500 quid a week.

Apparently.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They could tax the grannies out of their expensive homes and into the hinterlands.

HOLA4416

If they like spending hours getting to work they must be fools, have a mentality of a slave, the short the distance too work the happier you are.

They have schools in the country you know.....teachers can work anywhere, schools are everywhere, I don't see this as a problem unless you want both the nice house and the nice job...... ;)

HOLA4417

Not sure why there's so much hatred for teachers, it's not an especially well paid job if you value the gold-plated pension promises as the worthless unfunded paper issued by a bankrupt government they actually are.

I know a retired university lecturer in Portugal, his public sector pension has just been cut 10% because the government can't afford to pay him what it originally promised. No doubt it will be cut again in the not too distant future. This is going to happen to all the retired teachers, nurses, police etc in the UK too one day.

HOLA4418

They have schools in the country you know.....teachers can work anywhere, schools are everywhere, I don't see this as a problem unless you want both the nice house and the nice job...... ;)

The schools in the country will also have their teaching staff in place . Teachers can only work everywhere if there are vacant teaching posts everywhere . Moving on from the teachers there are many people in the fire service, ambulance service and others who have to commute long distances to work . This benefits no one.

HOLA4419

The schools in the country will also have their teaching staff in place . Teachers can only work everywhere if there are vacant teaching posts everywhere . Moving on from the teachers there are many people in the fire service, ambulance service and others who have to commute long distances to work . This benefits no one.

I agree a job can not be created....but jobs do pop up, even if below your status... where there is a will there is a way....get your foot in the door, then the door swings open. ;)

HOLA4420

I agree a job can not be created....but jobs do pop up, even if below your status... where there is a will there is a way....get your foot in the door, then the door swings open. ;)

Well maybe that is what they are doing , but they have to commute two hours each way for the door to swing open for them.

HOLA4421

Well maybe that is what they are doing , but they have to commute two hours each way for the door to swing open for them.

Four hours a day travelling is excessive.....they must be mad.....do as a friend of mine does private teaching, there are many self employed doing all sorts of work....they don't get the paid holidays or any extra benefits though. ;)

HOLA4422

Four hours a day travelling is excessive.....they must be mad.....do as a friend of mine does private teaching, there are many self employed doing all sorts of work....they don't get the paid holidays or any extra benefits though. ;)

Or work every week, or enough work to live on , or promotion , or long service , or pensions , or sick pay ,

Putting teachers aside I think this is just another case where so many people who are needed in jobs in this country cannot afford to live where they work. It is all part of the problem stated on this site time and time again HIGH HOUSE PRICES are having a bad effect on our countrys health and living standards .

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Too big for one person. ;)

A couple of weeks ago I made my first visit to Oxford and looked at the house prices - like you do. I noticed a not very nice house for £3.6m on rightmove but it's been removed. Given that and the one that has sold for £4m+ I wonder what's wrong with this one for a mere £2.25 million pounds sterling?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16622247.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1036%26minPrice%3D1500000%26minBedrooms%3D3%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26radius%3D3.0%26includeSSTC%3Dtrue%26_includeSSTC%3Don&thumbnailId=0